Wood Witch and the Bounty Hunter

Fifteen

They didn’t get up to take the clothes back to the seamstress shop until well after noon, because Flora had dozed off again snuggled against him and Ronan couldn’t bring himself to disturb her. She seemed content where she was, which baffled him. He had assumed she saw him as a monster, considering the circumstances under which they met. He also still felt bad about what had happened with her sister, even if she said she had accepted it. It wasn’t just about clearing an innocent person’s name anymore for him; he genuinely didn’t want to see anything else bad happen to Flora.

She stirred next to him and finally sat up with a soft yawn. He watched her a little apprehensively, but she smiled at him and he relaxed a little.

“I guess we really should get those clothes back to your mother, before she gets in trouble,” Flora said. Ronan nodded.

“It’s kind of a shame though,” she sighed. “It really is a pretty dress.”

“It is,” Ronan agreed. “And you looked incredible in it. But you’re pretty no matter what you’re wearing.”

She blushed and smiled again. Ronan sat up and gently fixed a part of her hair that was tousled from where she’d been laying on him. He was surprised when she leaned forward and kissed him softly. She looked a little shy when she pulled away, and Ronan poked her lightly in the sides to make her laugh. They got up and dressed, gathering up the fancy clothes and walking back to the shop. They had to wait around outside for a bit, until the snooty Mrs. Sote left for an errand. Then they hurried inside and found Linnea hard at work in the sewing room again.

“Sorry we’re a little late,” Ronan said. “I hope that old harpy didn’t notice these were missing and give you a hard time.”

Linnea shot him a look for calling Mrs. Sote names but then she smiled.

“No, she didn’t notice. How did the event go? Any problems?”

“No, it was fine. Flora got some useful information, so the night was a success.”

Linnea took the dress and the suit and stood looking at the two of them for a moment.

“What?” Ronan frowned. “I’m pretty sure we didn’t damage the clothes, right?”

“The clothes are fine,” Linnea replied. “I’m just glad to know you two had such success.”

“You’re acting weird. Why are you smiling like that?”

“Like what?”

“Like that.” Ronan gave his mother a wary look. “Like you know something.”

“Is there something I should know?”

“Mom.”

“Ronan.”

He sighed and rolled his eyes as Linnea went to put the clothes back where they belonged. She was still smirking when she returned.

“Thank you again for letting us borrow the clothes,” Flora said. “The dress really is beautiful. You’re an amazing dressmaker.”

Linnea smiled. “Aren’t you the sweetest thing. So what are you two up to now?”

“Like I said, Flora got a lead so we’re going to follow it.”

Linnea’s smile turned worried. “Please be careful, both of you. Watch out for each other.”

“We’ll be fine,” Ronan assured her, giving her a hug and making her laugh when he lifted her off the floor.

“He used to be so tiny,” Linnea said and Ronan grimaced.

“Mom, stop.”

“He liked to help me in the garden and play with butterflies. They’d always seem to follow him.”

Mom,” Ronan groaned, his ears going red. “Please.”

Linnea patted his cheek while Flora looked like she was trying not to laugh. They left the seamstress shop and walked around the shopping district for a bit while Ronan tried to form a plan to find Victor Graeme. Flora walked close to him and her hand brushed against his. Ronan didn’t even think about it before he laced his fingers with hers. She turned to look at him, a little startled. He started to pull his hand away, in case he’d crossed a line. But she pulled it back, keeping her fingers locked with his. His lips lifted in a crooked smile and he gave her hand a light squeeze.

“Let’s grab something to eat and we’ll discuss a plan,” he said, nodding to a small tavern. They sat in a corner, away from the few other people that were inside.

“He works in politics, so he must have an office or something in the capitol building,” Ronan said, drumming his fingers on the tabletop. “Or at least he must go there fairly regularly. There’s a department for magical affairs. Maybe if we can figure out who he is, we can follow him. If he and Elise are working together then they must have a place where they meet or live together to do their scheming. Elise made it seem like they’re planning something big and ugly.” He paused. “How much damage do you think they can do? I mean how extreme can dark magic get?”

“Theoretically, the potential could be pretty limitless,” Flora admitted. “But it gets harder to control the bigger you go. Not to mention, the bigger you go the greater the sacrifice needs to be. But Elise is very talented and I have to assume Victor is too. They could probably hurt a lot of people. I mean they already have, if the crime list they pinned on me is any indication.”

She got quiet, looking a little glum. Ronan reached over and tilted her head up.

“Hey,” he said gently. “I know you’re not like them. And I’m going to make sure everyone else knows it too.”

“Do you really think you can clear the reputation of the witch in the woods?” Flora asked.

“You're not the witch in the woods. That sounds ominous and sinister. You’re more like a garden fairy.”

Flora laughed. “I don’t attract butterflies though,” she teased and he flushed.

“I really wish my mom hadn’t told you that,” he grumbled.

“I think it’s cute.”

“You’re cute.” Ronan tapped her on the nose and then stood. “Come on, let’s see if we can arrange a meeting with this mysterious Victor Graeme. You’re going to summon up your best glamour, make yourself look as unlike yourself as you can. We’ll pretend to be partners and we need information because we’re looking for you. I know you’re nervous, but just let me do the talking okay? All we need to do for now is identify him. Then we’ll worry about the hard part.”