Wood Witch and the Bounty Hunter

Sixteen

It was about three days journey to get to the capital, but camping in the woods wasn't so bad when Flora had Ronan to snuggle with and keep warm. The more time they spent together, the more Flora wondered how she ever survived on her own. She couldn't even remember what it was like to live alone.

As they entered the city, however, she felt her nerves return. The place was bound to be packed full of bounty hunters who were smarter than a country girl like her. One wrong move could get both her and Ronan killed. She kept her head down until they had an inn room and she could practice her glamour spells. She had gotten fairly good at changing the color of her hair and eyes, but that wasn't going to cut it anymore.

Ronan watched as she focused on herself in the mirror. She didn't realize she was holding her breath and when she suddenly gasped for air, her hair turned that bright fuchsia shade. She buried her face in her hands with a groan, but Ronan just laughed.

"You're overthinking it," he said. "I don't know anything about magic, but I know you're overthinking it."

"It's hard to come up with an appearance from scratch," she said. "It's hard to visualize it without the image changing."

There was a banging on the door and Ronan tensed, but the innkeeper's voice called to them.

"Hey, you're short on your payment, kid!" he yelled.

Ronan rolled his eyes and sheathed his dagger as he walked towards the door.

"I'll handle this," he told Flora. "You keep practicing. I know you can do it."

She made a noise that was a cross between a wince and a whimper, then focused on her reflection again. It would have been easier to change to the appearance of someone who actually existed, but Flora didn't want to put anyone innocent into this situation. Then she had an idea.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she focused on an image in her mind. When she opened her eyes, she was startled to find Elise staring back at her. She touched her face, then her blonde ringlets. She looked identical to Elise... almost. Something was just a little bit off, though Flora couldn't put her finger on it. She could hope others would see her the same way and wouldn't focus too much.

Ronan returned to the room and Flora turned around, yelping in surprise when his eyes widened and he reached for his blade.

"Nononononoitsmeitsmeitsme!" she blurted.

Ronan lowered the knife and stared at her in wonder. She straightened out as he looked at her a bit closer.

"That's incredible," Ronan said. "You look just like her."

"It's exhausting," Flora said. "I don't know how long I can last like this."

"It's a perfect disguise," he reassured her. "We'll have a lot more pull if you have Elise's influence. The only thing is- ah, never mind."

"Only thing is what?" Flora frowned.

"Your face is still too soft," he said. "I only met Elise the once, but she sort of had that half-lidded temptress look about her. You look like you just want to kiss ducklings and skip through meadows."

"Because I do," Flora said. "I don't know how to be... you know... alluring."

She turned to face her reflection again. Ronan was right. The thing that threw her off was that she looked a little too wide-eyed and pouty for Elise. She thought for a moment, then unlaced the front of her bodice a bit to lower it and pulled her sleeves off of her shoulders. She then arched a brow and practiced a coquettish smile.

"Yeah, that looks more right," Ronan said dully.

Flora let out a breath and her appearance snapped back to normal like a rubber band. She noticed Ronan staring at her, and she quickly realized her shoulders and chest were more exposed than usual. She fixed it as her face turned bright red.

"For the record, you are stunning," Ronan said. "You need to stop comparing yourself to Elise."

She was still red, but pulled him down to kiss him with her stomach still fluttering.

The next morning, she had changed back to Elise and was trying her best to act the part as she followed Ronan to the National Palace, which housed the majority of political figures in the region. Flora stayed behind Ronan, but noticed some people looking at her like they recognized her. No, not her. Elise. She must have been there quite often. Flora just gave them a dismissive nod, the way she imagined Elise would.

They headed to a front desk, and Ronan spoke to the woman handling the books.

"We have an appointment with Victor Graeme," Ronan said. "He's expecting us. Where do we go?"

"Victor Graeme?" the woman frowned. "I don't know of any appointments."

"It's urgent," Ronan insisted.

"I'm sorry, I think I need to ask first."

Flora felt a little panicked, and without thinking she stepped forward and slammed her fist on the counter. She tried her best to sound snippy and harsh, like Elise would.

"Just let us in," she demanded. "Don't you know who I am? You'll be sorry if you cause me any more trouble."

The woman turned pale and sat back down.

"Of course," she squeaked. "I'm sorry, Mistress Elisa. I didn't see you there."

"Where is Victor?"

"In his office," she said. "You remember where it is."

"Of course I do," Flora scoffed. "Don't you?"

"The third floor-"

"That'll be all from you," Flora interrupted, waving her hand. "I'm, uh, going to go. On my way. With my... subordinate. Yes. Thank you."

Ronan was holding back, but if they weren't in hiding she knew he would be rolling his eyes. Flora couldn't be mean, even when pretending to be.

They casually made their way to the third floor, then examined doorplates until they came across a door for the department of magic and Victor Graeme's office. Once they were in and sure no one was around, Flora dropped the glamour and let out an exhausted sigh. Ronan turned to her and smiled, ruffling her hair.

"You did great out there," he said. "You're a terrible trash-talker, but you got us where we needed to be."

"Victor isn't even here," Flora said. "Should we snoop."

"No, that won't be necessary."

They both jumped when a third deep voice joined them. Victor had appeared in the office in a puff of smoke, right behind them. When Abel described an old man, Flora didn't expect Victor to be so tall and broad. He was definitely older with grey hair, but he looked as strong as any young man.

"I was expecting you," he said. "Ever since I heard you were sneaking around the banquet and asking about me. I'm glad I found you before one of Elise's hunters did."

"Me?" Flora frowned. "What do you want with me?"

"She just wanted to get rid of you," Victor shrugged. "I disagree. I think we can use you for something much greater. The sacrifice of one magic-sensitive person is worth the same as ten dirty, weak, non magic people."

"You won't lay a finger on her," Ronan growled.

He pulled his knife and swung, but it went through Victor like he was made of mist. Victor gave a casual smile, and then Flora felt something grab her ankle. She screamed when she realized it was a shadow on the wall grabbing her shadow and pulling her. She hit the ground hard and was dragged towards the wall.

Ronan grabbed her wrist just as she was pulled through the wall, and began to fall through what felt like empty space. Then the world lurched and they both hit the ground hard. Flora winced and pushed herself up to look at Ronan, who was also getting up slowly. She then looked around and found they had been transported to a dark, dungeon-like room.

There were sigils written on the wall and ground in what looked a little too much like blood, as well as candles lit everywhere. Elise was waiting with a smug smile, her arms crossed over her chest.

"I tried to make it easy for you, Flora," she said with a sigh. "Those hunters would have killed you quickly. What Victor wants to do will be much more painful. And I'm afraid we'll have to take your boyfriend, too. Sorry, honey."

Victor appeared next to Elise, putting his hand under her chin to gently tilt her chin up. She gazed at him like she worshipped him, almost hypnotized. It made Flora feel cold.

"Here is your chance, my dear girl," Victor told Elise. "I have gathered the weak bait for you. Show them how I've taught you to be strong."

Elise smiled and nodded, removing her gloves. Flora reached for Ronan, but a dark tendril whipped out and grabbed her wrists. It pulled her to a sinister looking table with fresh blood already dripping from it, undoubtedly from the previous sacrifice. Another tendril was holding Ronan's ankle, and he was frantically kicking away at it.

A dark blade materialized in her hand and she slowly approached Flora with a sinister smile.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this, sis."