Sequel: Jackelle 2.0

Kidnapped

Ten

"You're sure you're okay selling these?"

Jack held Brielle's earrings in his hand, looking down at the simple gold studs. Despite being small, they were a solid and high quality gold that could fetch a decent price.

"Yes, I'm sure," Brielle nodded. "They're just earrings. This pair doesn't have a sentimental value."

"Alright," Jack said. "I owe you."

They tried to make a deal in the pawn shop quickly, but it took a little negotiation to get a decent price on them. At least a price that could last them a week or so. With the money in hand, they stopped by an inn to get a room. What Jack failed to realize, however, that the married couple story didn't always work in their favor. They stood in the room they had gotten, staring at the singular bed in the center.

Jack awkwardly shifted his weight and looked over at Brielle, who looked back at him and blushed. Then they looked back at the bed.

"It would be suspicious if we went back down and asked for a room with two beds," she said.

"Right," Jack said. "We don't want to attract attention to ourselves if Merton is looking for us."

"Yes," Brielle agreed. "It's okay. We're just two adults who can be very mature about this."

"Very mature."

"I mean, we've shared a bed before," she pointed out. "That one time at the summer estate. I mean... Byron was there too.... but still."

"Yeah," Jack said. "Same thing. Not a different situation at all."

"Married couples share beds."

"Of course."

They stared at the bed again for a couple moments, then finally set down their few things and sat down. There were bigger things to worry about than having to share a bed.

"I'll be honest, I have no idea where to start," Jack said with a sigh. "I don't know if they're looking for us or whether or not they've figured out they have the wrong people. We are also not anywhere near Willowgate, which means they might send out search parties for us and attract even more attention."

"That complicates things," she said with a grimace. "What are the chances we can walk from here?"

"There's a chance," Jack shrugged. "It'll take us a while, and we'll need to spend even more money to get navigating supplies like a map and a compass. Our better bet is to hitch a ride with someone to the next town."

"Well we can't ask Theodore and Lisbeth again," she said. "They think we're staying here."

"No, we can't," he agreed. "I think we should try the pub. Usually that's the quickest way to find travelers or merchants."

"The pub it is, then."

They waited until it was a little darker out before they left for a pub, just below the inn. They had to be careful not to run into any of Merton's men, but it looked like they were safe for the time being. People were just starting to get a little tipsy, and Jack and Brielle were easily able to duck into a corner.

Jack ordered a couple glasses of ale for them and handed one to Brielle. She sort of just looked at it warily. Jack realized she probably hadn't tasted any liquor other than fancy wines and champagnes.

"It's a little bitter," Jack warned her. "It's easier if you just keep it in your mouth for a bit, then swallow. Then the aftertaste will be sort a mix of fruity and nutty."

She seemed a little more at ease to take a sip, but she still shuddered.

"I told you it was bitter," he said, cracking a grin.

"Yeah, but the aftertaste is nice," she said. "Wait, aren't I supposed to be pregnant?"

"Only when it's convenient for us," he chuckled. "Right now, we want to blend in until we see someone who might be able to help us."

"Fine, I'm gonna go mingle then," Brielle said.

"What?" he frowned.

"I'm going to mingle," she repeated. "Come on, it doesn't take a genius to know I'm more likely to be approached if I'm on my own."

"I don't know if I like that idea."

"I'll be careful, Jack."

He still didn't like the idea, but she took her drink and walked out to where some other men were standing. It took them just a few seconds to crowd around her, and based on her animated laughing and smiling, they must have been charming her just as much as she enchanted them. Jack shouldn't have been so bothered by it, but he was.

A young woman approached Jack and started talking to him, but he could hardly focus on what she was saying. Normally he'd have all kinds of lines, but he couldn't take his attention off Brielle. She was telling the men some story that had them laughing, and Jack couldn't take it.

"Excuse me," he said to the girl.

She frowned as he walked away from her, to where Brielle was standing. She perked up when she saw Jack, but the men she talked to were less enthusiastic.

"Right, you must be the husband," one of them said, using the word like it hurt to say.

"Yes," Brielle said. "This is my husband, Edmund. Edmund, this is Gene, Brennan, and Christopher."

Brennan was the one with a sour look on his face, and the only one who wouldn't shake Jack's hand.

"Come on, Jennie," he said. "You can do better than this guy and you know it."

"How could I ever?" Brielle said, keeping her tone light and teasing.

Jack wasn't quite as friendly, despite his smile. "Only those close to her can call her Jennie."

"Is that so?" Brennan asked.

"It is so," Jack said. "She can do better than me with who? You?"

"Maybe."

"Edmund, dear," Brielle interrupted. "Brennan and his friends are traveling salesmen. They sell a little concoction that whitens your teeth."

"They're such saints."

"He says their next stop is Whitmill," Brielle said. "Maybe we could get a ride-"

"We only have one seat available," Brennan said.

"Well that's a shame, because we're two people," Jack said.

"That's okay, we can take Jeanette and you can meet us there."

Brielle surprised Jack when she suddenly jumped to his defense.

"I'd come the whole way in his lap before I leave him behind," she said. "Is that really going to be a problem, Brennan?"

"What is that, your first drink, Edmund?" Brennan asked. "I think you're already a little drunk. Why don't you go upstairs and let us entertain your wife?"

"Oh please, I could drink you under the table."

"Is that a challenge?"

"Maybe it is."

Everyone around them cheered at the prospect of a drinking contest, and Brielle pulled Jack down to speak to him quietly.

"Jack, you don't have to do this," she said softly.

"I'm not going to let him talk to you like that," he said. "We can find another ride to Whitmill, but this guy still needs to be put in his place."

She bit her lip nervously and backed off, but Jack could've sworn she was trying to hide a smile.

Jack had been in plenty of drinking contests before, but none had felt this personal. The first few drinks were easy, but Brennan held it down pretty well. People had started crowding around and cheering, but Brielle refused to let anyone push her to the back and stayed by Jack's side as drinks were downed, all the way until Brennan could no longer stand on his feet and hit the ground.

"HAH!" Jack yelled, pointing at him. "You dumb bitchboy. Who's the big man now???"

Brennan just hiccuped as his friends dragged him off, and once the crowd dispersed, Jack felt the liquor hit him like a brick. Brielle was the one who caught him and held him up.

"Sorry I'm so dumb," Jack slurred. "I just... he was so rude to you. Rude to a pretty lady."

"Let's get you upstairs and to bed," Brielle said softly. "Come on."

"Are your feelings hurt?" Jack asked as he helped him up the stairs.

"No, they're not."

"Did I hurt them?"

"No, you didn't."

"Am I stupid?"

"Yes, very much so. But it's sort of endearing that you did it in my honor."

"Well, yeah," Jack snorted. "Don't act like I've thought about anyone or anything else since I saw you again."

Brielle turned bright red as she opened the door to their inn room.

"Jack, you're drunk," she said. "You don't know what you're saying."

"Ohhh, yes I do."

"Lie down."

He flopped down on the bed and she helped him take off his shoes. He felt her brush his hair away from his face, but he didn't stay conscious much longer after that.