Sequel: Jackelle 2.0

Kidnapped

Fourteen

Jack had already felt like he was living in some dream world, but now he was standing speechless in front of Brielle as she awaited an answer from him. He didn't quite remember everything he had said when he was drunk, but Byron always teased him about he was a little too honest when he got to drinking. Apparently, he had been the same with Brielle.

He sighed and stuffed his hands into his pockets, not sure what to tell her. He wasn't sure what she wanted to hear either, but he better have given one quick because she looked like she was about to pass out unconscious.

"It's true," he finally said.

She let out a relieved sigh and practically threw herself at him, pulling him down into a deep kiss. This time, they weren't playing pretend for anyone. In fact, Jack wasn't sure they were playing pretend before, either. Everything about that kiss was real. When she pulled back, Brielle was glowing.

"I don't know if this is okay," Jack told her. "I mean, my feelings are obviously there. From a social... political standpoint. I don't know if it's okay for us to be together like this. Not to mention your father and brother would probably tear my head off."

"You let me worry about them," she reassured them. "I don't want to ruin this moment."

"Right," Jack said, putting an arm around her waist and pulling her into his lap. "And you're sure you're not going to wake up with any regrets?"

"None whatsoever," she promised. "Besides, it's not like you're a stranger. You're Jaxie."

"And I remember you wanting nothing to do with me from the day I arrived," he teased.

"To be fair, you weren't very interested in me, either," she said, flicking his nose.

Things felt a lot more normal as they got ready for bed and crawled under the covers together. She wasn't shy about cuddling up to him, and he felt comfortable kissing her goodnight. They had spent so much time playing the married couple that it almost started to feel real.

"So are we going to talk about Ed and Jennie?" Brielle asked.

Jack was a little startled by the question.

"I don't know," he said. "I'm a little tired. Like I said, it was a past life."

"They're your parents," she insisted. "That's not something that passes easily. I don't know anything about who you are before my father took you in."

"That's because it's not a pretty story," he admitted. "No one knows. Not even Byron."

"Not even Byron?" she frowned.

"No, I've never told him," Jack said. "He's asked once or twice, but he let it go pretty quick. But I get the feeling you're not going to let go as easily."

"Not likely," she said. "I want to know, and I'm getting the feeling Merton plays a part in this story."

"He does," Jack grimaced. "Okay, fine. I'll cave. Jeanette and Edmund Ridley were my parents, like I said. My mother was only seventeen when she got pregnant with me and both she and my dad were kicked out by their parents, so they found a little place in Eris Village to live. It's actually close to the Montesse Estate. My mother worked in a bakery and my father was a grocer. They barely made ends meet, but they were in love and happy. And they took care of me. Sometimes when your family threw those big parties, we could hear the music all the way to the village and my father would twirl my mother all over the kitchen. It was only after I became an adult that I realized how young they really were."

"That's really sweet," Brielle said. "They sound like they were good people."

"They were," Jack said, forcing a smile. "They did their best with what they had. And then Merton and his gang took over. Security was a little weaker at the time, probably with Duke Montesse focused on his family and the economic situation. Merton's men would randomly pick houses and demanded extra 'taxes', and you either paid or you were put on a list. And when it came time to clear that list, they tore through that poor village like a tornado. My father insisted we would be alright, but they took him with some others on the list. Then they took my mother and cut her throat right on our living room floor. Not sure why they left me behind, but her last words were for me to look away. Which I didn't, and now immensely regret. So I ran to get my dad, and found him hanged in the village square with a few other men who apparently didn't pay enough.

They were all gone by the next morning, but they left the place in tatters. And I guess I was orphaned overnight. Went back home to see if anything was left, but most of it was burned down. I found my father's shoe shine kit, which I used to make a little money so I could feed myself. I met your dad a month or so later, when he came to visit and see the damage for himself. He talked to me for a little, heard my story, then took me back with him. I guess he felt like he owed it to me, after what happened to my parents. We never talked about it after that, though. He sent me straight to school, and that's when I started reinventing myself as a politician."

He looked over at Brielle and found her eyes glistening with tears. He forced a smile and wiped a tear from her face.

"Hey, don't cry for me," Jack said. "Like I said, it was a past life. I'm a different person now."

"Because you never talked about it," she said, voice cracking. "No one ever talked to you about it."

"I guess they didn't."

Jack had honestly never thought about it. Besides the time they first met, Theron never brought up Jack's parents again. Instead, he focused on Jack's future and education. Byron never asked Jack either, and any time Jack had a bad day, Byron would just take him out for some fun and drinks. It all came from a good place, but the truth was that Jack never talked about his past again.

Brielle sniffed and curled up against him, hugging him tightly. Suddenly, Jack felt a little overwhelmed as well. His feelings about his family were buries so deep, he didn't know what to do when he felt them.

"I think I need some air," Jack said. "Maybe we can head back to the pub-"

"No," she said sternly. "I'm not letting you drink your past away. Come on, let's go find a balcony instead."

She sat up and held a hand out to him to help him up. He reluctantly took it and stood, but she kept hold of his hand and interlaced her fingers with his.

There was a balcony on a floor of the inn just above them, so Brielle led Jack outside so the cool night air could refresh him. He took a deep breath, and she seemed relieved to see him easing up a little bit.

"I guess I can understand why you got so tense when we saw Merton," she said.

"Yeah," Jack said with a humorless laugh. "Brought back some glum memories. I'm eager to stay far away from him, so hopefully Hugo can find us a way out or get us some intel soon."

"He will," Brielle said. "He seemed like a nice guy."

"He is," Jack said. "I mean, he was only five years old when I knew him, but he had good parents. I'm sure they raised a good kid."

Brielle cracked a smile. "You still look a little pale. I'm going to get you a little midnight snack. A non-alcoholic midnight snack. Wait for me?"

"Always."

She blushed and leaned in to kiss him once more and give his hand a squeeze before heading back downstairs.