Sequel: Jackelle 2.0

Kidnapped

Nineteen

“Are you sure you really want to have such a small ceremony?” Georgiana had been fussing and fretting over the details of Brielle and Jack’s wedding since they’d begun official planning. Brielle was insisting on a fairly small guest list and Georgiana was trying to convince her to expand it.

“Mother,” Brielle sighed. “Yes, I’m really sure. I don’t want a bunch of strangers or people I don’t even really like to be at my wedding.”

“Oh, fine. At least you’ve chosen a lovely color scheme. I have to tell you, Brielle, I’m quite surprised that you’re marrying Jack.”

“Are you disappointed?” Brielle frowned, preparing to get defensive. But to her surprise Georgiana smiled.

“No, my darling. He was always a good boy and he’s a fine young man.”

“He is,” Brielle agreed.

“And you love him?”

“Very much.”

“Then how could I be disappointed?”

Brielle was carefully addressing invitation envelopes when Jack pulled her away from her father’s study desk.

“Jack,” she complained. “I have to finish these.”

“They can wait for a little bit,” Jack insisted, taking her hand and tugging her from the study and outside to the little pond out behind the Montesse manor. They had spent a lot of afternoons and lazy evenings out here, having picnics as a family or ice skating on it in the winter. During the summers the kids often tried shoving each other into the pond.

“What is this all about?” Brielle laughed. “You’re grinning like a fool.”

“That’s because I’m a fool for you,” he replied and she rolled her eyes.

“Jack, the suspense is killing me. What are we doing down here?”

“Technically our engagement wasn’t done properly,” he explained. “So I’m making it proper before we actually have the wedding.”

“What are you talking about?”

They came to a halt beside the pond and Jack knelt in front of her on one knee, pulling something from his pocket.

“Brielle Montesse, earthbound angel and love of my life, will you do me the immense honor of marrying me?”

Brielle laughed. “You already know my answer is yes.”

“I have to do it right,” he grinned.

“Okay. Then, yes. I will happily marry you, you ridiculous, romantic goofball.”

Jack replaced the little gold band she’d been wearing with a simple but beautiful diamond ring that made her eyes go wide.

“Sorry it took so long,” Jack said. “I wanted to pick the perfect one.”

Brielle wiped at her damp eyes and then Jack had to catch her as she launched herself forward and clung to him.

“Are you sure this is what you want?” she asked. “Giving up your bachelor freedom and trysts to tie yourself down to me, forever?”

“I can’t think of anything better than being tied to you forever.” Jack leaned his forehead against hers before pulling her into a kiss. The last few weeks before the wedding were hectic and passed by in a blur as Georgiana and Nadine helped Brielle with all the small details and went with her for her final dress fitting.

This time she didn’t complain when her mother woke her up at an obscenely early hour to start getting ready. She’d barely slept the night before anyway, lying awake and looking at her ring in the moonlight and feeling twinkly. Georgiana and Nadine both helped pin her bright red curls into a chignon with little gold and pearl clips. Nadine painstakingly did her makeup and then Brielle was helped into the flowing ivory white gown. The ruffled sleeves left her shoulders bare and the full skirt flared out dramatically and the lacy train trailed behind her.

“Oh, you look so beautiful,” Nadine said, already sniffling.

“No crying or you’ll set me off and ruin the makeup you just did,” Brielle laughed, hugging them both. Byron and Theron poked their heads in then, announcing that it was almost time.

“Look at you,” Theron said as Brielle stood up and faced them. “You look like an angel.”

“Jack won’t know what to do with himself,” Byron agreed. “I still can’t believe little Bree is really getting married. To Jack.”

“You’re happy about it,” Brielle said, amused. “Even if you won’t admit it.”

“Hey, I’m in an unusual position. I’m thrilled for my best friend but there’s still no man good enough for my baby sister.” Byron grinned, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. “Jack is the closest to good enough there is. But don’t tell him I said so. Gotta keep him on his toes.”

“You’re an idiot.” Brielle grinned and Byron kissed the top of her head before he and Nadine went out to the chapel. Georgiana adjusted Brielle’s train and gushed again about how beautiful she looked before she went out to take her seat. Brielle was alone with Theron, who tried to subtly wipe his eyes.

“I saw that,” Brielle teased.

“This is a tough day for a father,” Theron said, offering his arm so he could walk her down the aisle. Brielle had only invited family and a few close family friends to the wedding. Byron was of course the best man, and Jack had perhaps gotten too much enjoyment out of giving him ridiculous tasks to make up for when he was Byron’s best man. But now he stood up front next to Jack, winking and beaming at her as Theron walked her to the altar. Brielle smiled and felt fluttery with the way Jack looked at her. She barely even heard what the minister was saying, but she registered enough to know when to say, “I do.”

When he told Jack to kiss the bride, he cracked a small smile before taking her face gently in his hands and kissing her much like he had when they were still with the actors.

“If we ever see Claudius again, you can tell him I did better than a peck on our wedding day,” he said quietly when he pulled back and Brielle laughed. Her skirt swished around her as they shared their first dance as actual husband and wife.

“How does it feel, to settle down?” Brielle asked as he spun her.

“It feels like the best decision I ever made.” He pulled her closer as she completed her spin. “I got really used to calling you my wife and I am truly ecstatic to be able to say it for real now. Plus now we get to share one bed forever.”

Brielle laughed again, leaning up to kiss him. “I love you, Jaxie.”

“I love you too, Bree.”