‹ Prequel: Kidnapped

Jackelle 2.0

Chapter Three

"So you'll be meeting with the Mayor for lunch, and then you'll be giving another speech tonight at the City Arts Center. And tomorrow morning we'll catch a train to Mintburrow, hopefully in time to catch brunch with- Senator Ridley?"

Jack had spaced out, looking out the window of the carriage while Marnie recited his schedule to him. Brielle sat next to him and elbowed him in the gut, and he snapped back to attention.

"Sorry, Marns," he said. "And I told you, please just call me Jack. This is a family, there's no need for formalities."

"Then don't call me Marns," she grumbled.

Brielle gave Jack a stern look, and he just shrugged. The day went by in a blur, and Jack wasn't sure how much of it he was actually present for. The mayor did most of the talking at lunch, mostly to praise Jack on his efforts for the common people. Then Jack powered through his speech for the banquet at the Arts Center, this time sticking to his script.

He came down from the stage as the banquet guests returned to their mingling, giving Brielle a relieved smile as she handed him a glass of wine. She went up on her toes to kiss him.

"How'd I do?" he asked.

"Charming as ever," she said.

"Not everyone here is a supporter," Jack said. "Lord Fenner and his wife are here, and both of them hate my guts. They think I'm trying to steal from them."

"Oh, please," Brielle said, rolling her eyes. "I've known them a long time. Letting some mill workers keep the few pennies they make won't make a dent in Lady Fenner's jewelry collection."

"It doesn't mean they like me."

Jack glanced up at Lord and Lady Fenner, offering them a smile from across the room when they noticed him. They sneered at him like he was a cockroach.

"See what I mean?" he frowned.

"Jack, it doesn't matter what they think," Brielle insisted. "You were elected, fair and square. You were elected because the people are trusting you to represent and defend them against people like Lord Fenner, who will take money from them to pay for a vacation with no care for their livelihoods. That's why they don't like you. Don't forget the people you're representing. People like your mother and father."

"You're right," Jack said with a sigh.

Much of his campaign was fueled by what his parents went through, as young laborers who struggled to make ends meet. The government had failed them, and Jack didn't want to see that happen again.

They mingled for a little while, and Jack noticed Brielle wasn't eating anything. She held a glass of champagne, but she hadn't touched it. He pulled her aside and lowered his voice.

"Everything alright?" he asked. "You're not eating anything. The appetizers are good."

"I'm fine," she reassured him. "I'm just a little nauseous, that's all. Must be the crowd."

"Well, we'll go back to the hotel," Jack said.

"It'll pass, Jack," she said. "These are your supporters, stay and talk to them."

"Bree, I would shut this whole operation down if my wife asked me to," Jack said. "Everyone is winding down, they won't even notice we're gone."

"The event is for you, of course they'll notice."

"If you're getting sick, I don't want you to get worse," Jack insisted. "Come on, we can slip out the back."

They only told Marnie they were on their way out, asking her to cover for them and chat the important people up while they were gone. Despite Brielle's protests, she seemed relieved to get back to the hotel room and kick off her shoes. She let out a sigh of relief and Jack helped her with the back of her dress while she removed her jewelry. She yelped softly when he scooped her up and carried her to the bed, then tucked her in.

"What shall I bring you, my angel?" he asked. "Water? Cake? Back rub?"

"Jack, you're being ridiculous."

"So what'll it be?"

"All of the above, please," she said, cracking a grin despite trying to stay serious.

Jack kissed her before going off to fetch the cake. On his way down to the hotel cafe, he ran into Lord and Lady Fenner on their way to their own room. He quickly straightened himself out and smiled to them with a polite nod.

"Lord Fenner," he greeted. "Lady Fenner. I apologize for missing you at the banquet, but it seems I had a hard time chasing you down."

Jack knew well enough that they had been avoiding him, but he would play the idiot for now. Lord Fenner forced a smile, but Jack could still see the disdain in his eyes. Lady Fenner didn't even try to look nice.

"A shame," Lord Fenner said. "My wife and I were caught in conversation elsewhere, I suppose."

"Well, there's always next time," Jack said. "Hopefully your brother will be able to attend, too. I saw he had declined the invite."

"Yes, indeed," Lord Fenner said, his gaze hardening. "I had quite a few colleagues decline their invites. Of course, as sponsors of the Arts Center, we were obligated to attend."

"Obligated," Jack repeated.

"We mean no offense, of course," Lord Fenner said. "It's all politics. I suppose your competitor, Warren Adler, had our votes. But you won. A fair election."

Jack was a little uncomfortable under their scrutinizing gaze, but kept that smile on his face.

"Warren Adler has all my respect," Jack said politely. "He's a wonderful family man and a fantastic politician. His methods just tend to be a bit... old fashioned... but he's a good man."

"Old fashioned," Lady Fenner scoffed, speaking up for the first time. "Frank, I'd like to go to bed now."

She stuck her nose in the air as she headed back to their room, and Lord Fenner shifted his weight awkwardly. He opened his mouth to say something, but decided against it and instead gave Jack a nod before following his wife.

Jack finally loosened up when they were gone, letting out a deep sigh. He knew why they didn't like him, but it didn't mean he felt any better about it. He may have had numbers of good people on his side, but the minority he had made an enemy of had a lot of power. He shook the thought from his mind and started down the stairs to go to the cafe before it closed. Brielle was more important right now.