‹ Prequel: Kidnapped

Jackelle 2.0

Chapter Eight

Brielle felt like a lot of weight was lifted off her shoulders now that Jack knew about the baby, and she was relieved that he wasn’t upset about the timing. Her morning sickness had also eased off a bit, though her emotional state was another matter. She had no control over it these days and her moods shifted with no rhyme or reason. The anxiety that still plagued her because of the attempt on Jack’s life didn’t help either. She kept worrying that someone would try to kill him again and actually succeed, or that they’d both get hurt and she’d lose him and the baby. Even without the morning sickness, that idea made her nauseous. It was also an adjustment getting used to being bigger. Sometimes she felt a bit like a turtle stuck on its back. She liked turtles, but that didn’t mean she enjoyed feeling like one.

Jack had insisted they make another trip to the doctor now that she was further along, and he wanted to be with her this time.

“This isn’t the sort of thing you’re supposed to do alone,” he said. So Brielle carefully scooted herself out of bed and got dressed, sighing faintly with relief to have dresses that fit. She was still a little worried that she resembled a frumpy elephant, no matter how many times she chided herself for being so vain. Jack poked his head into the room to see if she was ready and caught her appraising her reflection.

“You look just as pretty as you always do,” he said. Brielle blushed slightly.

“It is nice to have some clothes that fit right,” she admitted. “I feel a little bad that we have so much more luggage now, but I was starting to worry I’d have to hide in the hotel rooms for the rest of the trip because I couldn’t get any clothes on.”

Jack arched an eyebrow. “Well, I wouldn’t really have minded staying in the hotels with you while you had no clothes on.”

Brielle tried to give him an exasperated look but his cheeky grin made her crack and start laughing.

“You’re so ridiculous,” she said. “I can’t believe it makes me love you so much.”

He helped her into her coat and kissed her. “I can’t believe it either. Every day I wake up amazed that someone so perfect ever gave me a second glance let alone married me.”

Brielle rolled her eyes but she was smiling. “Oh, please. Don’t pretend you don’t know how much attention you get from women.”

“Yours is the only attention I care about.” Jack held her hand as they walked out to the waiting carriage and then he helped her inside. Brielle rested her head on his shoulder as they rode to the doctor’s office. He kept an arm around her as they went inside and waited for the doctor, then immediately accosted the poor man with questions when he arrived.

“Jack, maybe you should let the doctor actually look me over and ask me some things, so he can answer your questions better,” Brielle said gently. Jack finally relented and the doctor asked Brielle some questions now, while also listening to her heartbeat first before moving the stethoscope across her stomach. He was quiet for a while, his head cocked while he looked thoughtful.

“Well, Senator and Lady Ridley, everything seems to be going the way it should be. I would recommend that you get lots of rest and don’t exert yourself, Duchess. But there is one other thing.”

“Is it something bad?” Brielle asked anxiously.

“Oh, no. I just hope you’ve got room in your nursery for two babies.” The doctor’s eyes twinkled as Brielle and Jack stared at him.

“What?” Brielle said finally.

“You’re having twins, my lady.”

“Twins,” Jack repeated. He looked a little dazed but then broke into a grin. Brielle just sat there with her eyes wide until Jack tugged her arm gently when it was time to go. He seemed on the brink of skipping as they walked back into the hotel and once they were safely in their room he pulled Brielle into a fierce kiss that made her knees a little weak.

“Careful,” she laughed, pulling away slightly. “That’s exactly the type of behavior that got us into this situation to begin with.”

“Then why would I be careful?” Jack grinned and held her face in his hands. “This is literally the only news that could top you telling me you were pregnant.”

“You’re not worried about trying to take care of two babies at once?” Brielle arched an eyebrow.

“We’ll figure it out. The lack of sleep will be worth it.” He picked her up, making her yelp. He carried her to the bed and gently set her down.

“The doctor said to take it easy,” he said. “So take off your coat and I’ll bring you something to eat.”

“Jack, you don’t need to do that. You spoil me enough.”

“I can’t spoil you enough. I’ll be right back.”

He vanished out the door before Brielle could protest. She shook her head and took off her coat, tossing it over a chair. Jack returned with a sandwich and a big slice of cake for her, which made her smile.

“You always find my favorite snack,” she said.

“Of course. You get a cute little twinkle in your eye whenever cake is involved,” Jack chuckled. “You deserve all the cake you want.”

“Because I’m eating for three now?” she joked, nibbling her sandwich.

“Well, yeah. But I was going to say you’re my amazing, beautiful wife, who’s growing two precious little humans and you deserve literally anything you want.”

Brielle laughed. “I already have everything I want.”

They talked about nursery ideas and how excited Brielle’s family was going to be when they got word from her about the babies. Brielle was munching on her chocolate cake when she grew thoughtful.

“We’ll have to think of names, too,” she said. “We should probably choose a few boy names and a few girl names to choose from, since we don’t know yet what these little monsters are going to be. I already have one of each to go on the list.”

“Yeah?”

“Jeanette for a girl, and Edmund for a boy,” she said quietly. Jack got a soft smile on his face, reaching over to squeeze her hand. Brielle flopped onto the bed after lunch, feeling drowsy. Jack climbed up next to her, pulling her close and she snuggled against him.

“Do you think I’ll be a good mom?” she asked. Jack leaned his head down slightly, talking to her stomach.

“Do you hear this?” he asked. “Can you believe your mother would even ask such a thing? You know how fantastic she is, don’t you?”

Brielle opened one eye to give Jack a look of amused exasperation. “I was being serious.”

“These kids will adore you just as much as I do,” Jack replied. “Just watch.”

Brielle glanced down at her stomach too. “If one or both of you are boys, I hope you turn out to be just as silly and charming as your father.”

She glanced back up at Jack, who was smiling at her. He kissed her forehead and she laid her head back on his shoulder.

“I sent out letters to Byron and my parents to tell them,” Brielle said. “I guess we should make the official announcement soon. I figure it’s fairly obvious by now anyway.”

“People are going to love you even more now.”

Brielle snorted. “They love you. You’re the one everyone admires and wants to meet.”

“You need to stop selling yourself short. You’re very charming and lovable.”

“You think so?” Brielle asked innocently, batting her lashes. Jack gently flicked her forehead.

“Don’t be coy, Duchess Brielle. You know full well that I was a goner from the second I came home for Byron’s wedding and saw you.”

“That doesn’t mean I ever get tired of hearing it.”

“You little minx,” Jack laughed, tilting his head down to nuzzle her nose and make her giggle. She was still worried about any other assassins lurking around and she still had a flutter of nerves about being pregnant. But Jack always managed to make her feel better and she couldn’t wait for everyone to see him as the cute, loving father he already was.