Sequel: Royal Rebels

Rebel Children

Nineteen

Rose held Eli’s hand as they walked into the inn, feeling a little giddy. He asked the innkeeper for a room for the night and the older woman smiled warmly at them as Eli handed her some coins.

“We have a very nice room on the third floor,” she said, pushing a key across the counter. “I trust you and your wife will be very comfortable.”

They both went a little pink at her assumption that they were married, but Rose didn’t see a point in correcting her. Eli just cleared his throat and smiled politely.

“Um, thank you,” he said. Rose followed him to the room, still blushing a little. But then she brightened, looking at the sun setting over the city from their window.

“This view is so pretty,” Rose said. She glanced over to find Eli looking at her and smiled shyly.

“I had a lot of fun today,” she said. “I hope you weren’t bored.”

“Are you kidding?” Eli chuckled. “I spent my whole life in Brimsey, so this is quite the experience. And I liked seeing you so happy.”

She blushed again, but she was smiling as he caught her hand and pulled her closer, leaning down to kiss her. She squeaked and then laughed as he scooped her off her feet and gently set her on the bed. She pulled him down next to her and shifted to look at him.

“I know I’ve probably seemed distracted the last couple of days, but I’m always happy when I’m with you,” she said, feeling shy again. “That’s why I wanted to tell you, you don’t have to keep going with us if you don’t want to. We only have one more stop before we get to the capital, and then I have to go on and face Lorena. I won’t ask you to-“

“Rose.” Eli took her hands. “I told you I was going to help you get home. I go where you go.”

“It’ll be dangerous.”

“That’s why I go where you go,” he said, smiling slightly. “Can’t just let my Rose face danger alone, can I?”

Rose laughed softly, then leaned forward to kiss him again. Later she was snuggled next to him while he gently ran his fingers through her hair. It was nice not being squished onto a tiny sleeping mat while Charlie and Tobias grumbled a few feet away. She was disappointed when she woke up and saw that it was morning. Eli was still asleep next to her, but he stirred and cracked his eyes open a few minutes later to find her looking at him.

“Morning, Princess.”

“Morning, my Eli.”

He smiled and she shifted onto her stomach to kiss him.

“We don’t have to go quite yet, do we?” Rose pouted. Eli laughed quietly.

“Far be it from me to deny the princess’s request. Especially when she’s looking at me like that with those pretty eyes.”

Rose giggled and kissed him again. They stayed in bed until they absolutely had to check out of the inn, but it took a lot of effort to get up and Rose didn’t make it any easier, since she kept kissing him while he was trying to get dressed and ready to go. They went back to the stables to find the others; Tobias had apparently worked on resupplying while they were occupied. He arched an eyebrow at Rose as they walked in and she expected to get a lecture.

“It’ll be about two and a half days to Deris,” he said instead. “It’s the last place we’ll stop before we reach Lumafell. So we’ll stay there until…until it’s time.”

Rose nodded, feeling nerves flutter back to life in her chest. She didn’t even realize she had reflexively grabbed Eli’s hand until he squeezed it gently. They were all a little more quiet than usual on the ride and Edgar was at this point teaching her some things even while they were on the road. The night before they would ride into Deris, they stopped for camp and Edgar tried to show her a spell to create fire. Not just a little campfire or lighting a lantern, but a huge sizzling ball of it that she could fling at an advancing enemy.

“I don’t think I can do this,” Rose said, her mouth going dry.

“It’s one of the fastest and most efficient methods of magical defense,” Edgar said. “You have to learn it.”

He showed her how to move her hands to summon up the fireball and Rose reluctantly imitated him. Her first three tries only produced tiny sparks that quickly sizzled out and Rose’s hands were shaking when Edgar told her to do it again. She concentrated until a ball of flickering flames appeared between her palms. It was incredibly hot and suddenly she was fourteen again, trapped in a burning house. She’d collapsed from all the smoke, struggling to breathe, and the flames had licked up the left side of her body, scorching the flesh on her leg and her side. She’d been sure she was going to die and the pain had been incredible. As she stared into the expanding ball of flame she forgot where she was, panic making her throat close up. All she could see was fire.

With a jolt, she dropped her hands and let the fire go out. She realized her heart was pounding and she was struggling to breathe. She’d scooted slightly away from the campfire too.

“I need a break,” she said, her voice shaking. She stood up and walked into the trees, trying to calm down. She heard a footstep behind her and turned to see that Eli had followed her, looking worried.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “I didn’t mean to get so worked up.”

“You don’t need to apologize, Rose.”

She sniffed, and then threw herself at him and clung to him tightly.

“Oh, hey. It’s okay,” he said gently, putting his arms around her. She kept her face buried in his chest until she stopped trembling. Finally she drew back slightly and looked up at him. He brushed some hair out of her face and she leaned up to kiss him fiercely.

“I’m really glad you’re here,” she said.

“I’m here as long as you want me here,” he assured her. They walked back to the camp once she’d collected herself; by the time they got back it was like nothing had happened. Determined not to lose her cool again, Rose practiced the fireball a few more times. It made her heart race and her throat tighten every time but she grit her teeth and tried to keep the panic down. She couldn’t afford to panic; hesitation when she faced Lorena would get her killed.

She was exhausted when she finally called it quits for the night, and Eli had to practically lift her onto the bedroll. She tucked her head against his shoulder and fell asleep. They rode into Deris early the next afternoon, encountering some of the queen’s lackeys at the city entrance. They weren’t the shadowy inhuman kind, just scum who’d sworn loyalty to Lorena in exchange for indiscriminately harassing Norterra’s citizens.

“There’s a toll to enter the city,” one of them said, flashing them a cold smile. “And we require that you state your business here. Can’t be too careful, with rumors of rebels about and all.”

“We’re visiting family,” Tobias said stiffly. “I’m traveling with my wife, our niece, and her…friend.”

“Friend, huh?” The man looked at Rose and Eli on their shared horse; he seemed to notice the way Eli’s arms tightened slightly around her.

“Wish I had a friend like that,” the man laughed. Rose felt Eli tense and shift behind her; she was sure he was glaring daggers at the guard. The man smirked.

“Oh, I guess big guy here doesn’t like to share. What a pity. I’d have been willing to waive the toll otherwise.”

“Come anywhere near her and I’ll rearrange your face,” Eli snapped.

“Tobias, just give him some coins and let’s go,” Rose said quickly. He and Eli both seemed about a second away from hopping off their horses and starting a fight. She wouldn’t mind using an arrow to shoot the smug look off the guard’s face herself, but they shouldn’t attract too much attention. She resisted the urge to kick the man as they filed past him and into the city. They found a stable for the horses and were setting off to look for accommodations, and Tobias was still grumbling under his breath about the guards. Eli walked close to Rose; she thought he’d hide her in his cloak if he could. He kept her and Charlie in between him and Tobias; Tobias walking ahead and Eli coming up behind them.

They were all relieved to reach an inn and get some rooms. Charlie elected to bunk with Maria and Tobias. Edgar disappeared into the tavern next door. Rose of course stayed with Eli, sitting cross legged on the bed and practicing some of the spells Edgar had taught her. Eli flopped next to her, watching her work. After a while Rose sighed and flopped next to him.

“It’s weird being this close to home,” she said. “And so close to Lorena. What if I can’t beat her?”

“If anyone can, it’ll be you,” Eli replied. Rose rolled onto her side to face him.

“What makes you so sure?” she asked. He gave her a crooked smile and gently flicked her forehead.

“I just know.”