Sequel: Royal Rebels

Rebel Children

Twenty

Eli was used to seedy neighborhoods, but this was different. Deris wasn't seedy because the people were poor and needed to scrape what they could to survive. Deris was seedy because it was full of Lorena's supporters, who had all the power and money they needed to bully the common people. It was so shady, that Eli felt the need to stand guard outside Rose's door any time she was having her lessons with Edgar in the inn room.

Even Tobias seemed to actually accept Eli and his help this time. Regardless of what he thought of Rose and Eli's relationship, there was no question that Eli was intimidating. Edgar came out of the room a little while later, followed by an exhausted looking Rose. Eli gave her a sympathetic look.

"Do you have to work her this hard?" Eli asked Edgar. "She looks like she's going to keel over."

"She needs to be ready if she's going to face Lorena," Edgar grunted. "She's an old hag, but she's good at what she does."

Eli and Rose were both startled and exchanged a look of alarm.

"How did you know about-"

"I'm not stupid," Edgar said. "You're too hoity-toity to be a prostitute. Not to mention all the urgency around your guard and getting to the castle. Plus, you look like your grandmother. I see it in your eyes when I look up close."

"If you knew, why didn't you say anything?" Rose frowned.

"What's there to say?" Edgar shrugged. "We've got a shitty queen. Chances are, you might be slightly less shitty. Dunno. Only one way to find out. Don't let me down. I'm gonna go grab a drink."

Rose still seemed alarmed as Edgar hobbled off. She looked at Eli warily.

"Should we be worried about him?" she asked.

"I don't think so," Eli said. "If he was going to expose us, he would have done it by now. I think. We better not tell Tobias, though."

"Right."

They walked outside and found Tobias and Maria just outside with Charlie. Tobias was helping Charlie aim a bow and arrow, and Charlie was intensely focused on a makeshift target in front of him.

"There you go," Tobias said, steadying Charlie's hand. "Nice and careful, thatta boy. Shoot when you're ready."

Charlie released the arrow and managed to hit the target just shy of the center. He had a proud grin on his face as Tobias patted him on the back and Rose cheered for him.

"Eli, did you see that?!" he said excitedly.

"Yeah, it was great," Eli nodded.

"Hope you don't mind I borrowed your bow," Charlie told Rose sheepishly. "I was really careful with it."

"You can borrow it any time," she said.

"How was the lesson today?" Tobias asked her.

"Better," she said. "I think... I may be ready."

"I hope so," Tobias said. "Because I think I found our way in."

Eli felt nerves creep up. The palace was visible in the distance, glittering in the sunset. It would've been a beautiful sight if it didn't have such a dark aura around it. Lorena's magic was so powerful, they could feel it all the way in Deris.

That night, Eli was surprised when Tobias asked him to accompany him and Rose to the rebel meeting he had found. He expected the two of them to go alone, but he supposed they could use a little extra security. Tobias may not have admitted it, but he seemed to trust Eli's intentions a bit more.

Rose stayed almost hidden between them as they walked up to an inconspicuous looking house and knocked on the door. A frazzled woman with a child on her hip and another hiding behind her skirt opened the door, and she looked a little frightened upon seeing Tobias and Eli. They were both rather large and intimidating men, and Rose hid easily between them.

"You must be the new ones," she said.

"And you must be Marge," Tobias said. "I spoke with your husband."

"Right," she nodded. "They're in the basement. Hurry, now."

Rose gave her a polite smile as they walked in and headed down into the candlelit basement. Eli was surprised to find almost thirty people down there, both men and women. All of them were rebels, and looked much more up to a fight than the laborers in Brimsey. These were educated people who might have been nobles or wealthy before Lorena's reign.

One man stepped forward, shaking Tobias's hand. He then looked at Rose, and his expression softened to one of disbelief and admiration.

"Well, the heavens have truly blessed us tonight, haven't they?" he said softly. "You probably don't even remember me."

Rose gave Tobias a confused look, then looked back at him.

"I'm sorry, I don't," she said.

"Well, how could you?" he chuckled. "You had only just started walking. And running, shortly after. I remember your dear mother used to have me chasing you down the halls."

Rose was quiet for a moment, then lit up.

"Sir Dewer?" she asked. "Ronald Dewer?"

"That's right, my dear girl," he said. "I was personal guard to your mother, since the day she married your father."

"When I saw Ronald in the market, I knew we could trust him," Tobias explain. "There are some others here who were run out of the palace. You may remember Miss Jane. She was one of your latin tutors. And this is Keiran, who used to train under me. Ah, and Devon."

Eli watched as Rose was taken around the room and introduced to everyone. He could see the way they looked at her like she was a miracle. To them, she must have been. A surviving royal was the only chance they had at a life that was ripped away from them. Eli shrunk back into the shadows, feeling a little out of place among them.

Rose was misty eyed by the time she had been taken around to meet everyone. It must have been touching to see that she still had so many supporters. She looked at Eli and let out a light laugh.

"None of them forgot about me," she said.

"How could anyone forget you?" Eli said softly. "Go on, I think Tobias wants you up front with him."

"Come with me."

"I better stay here in the back," he said. "I'm not the person they're here to see. They want their queen."

She seemed a little disappointed, but nodded and moved to stand beside Tobias and Ronald. Eli stayed quiet in the back.

"We only have one shot at this," Tobias announced. "One. If we fail this, it's over for everyone. Lorena wins."

There was a hush over everyone, but they all stayed firmly standing. They looked like real soldiers, unlike the loose group in Brimsey.

"The first group will take charge of distracting the guards up front," Ronald explained. "They'll be backed by a hundred or so of my younger volunteers. The fight will occupy most of them. The second group will charge the palace, with Rose hidden among them. As far as anyone will know, she's just another common rebel. While the second group sends the palace staff into dissaray, Rose will quietly split off and find Lorena. As for the rest... I suppose it's up to the universe. Questions?"

As the conversation continued, Eli kept his eyes on Rose. She was still nervous, but the outpour of support for her had seemed to boost her confidence a bit. It was late by the time they left and headed back to the inn, and all three of them were quiet. Come morning, things would be different. Tobias broke the silence as you walked.

"Eli, I'm charging you with staying with Rose," he said. "Every step she takes, you take."

"Tobias, he doesn't need to do that," Rose protested. "It's dangerous."

"I'll do it," Eli said.

"Good," Tobias nodded. "I hate to bring it up again, but you'll sneak by easy with your... you know."

Eli looked down at his arm, where the scar from the possession was exposed. Rose seemed embarrased that Tobias had brought it up again, but Eli understood. His broken soul came in handy when he was sneaking around and spying for Patrick Reeves. He could do a lot without being noticed. At least this time, it was for someone he actually cared about.

"Get some rest," Tobias told them. "Good, real rest. We meet everyone tomorrow morning, before the guard has a chance to warm up."

Eli nodded and gave Rose's hand a light squeeze as they headed up. She was strong and talented, but he only hoped it was enough.