Sequel: Royal Rebels

Rebel Children

Twenty-One

Despite Tobias telling her to get some rest, Rose barely slept that night. She mostly lay awake staring wide eyed at the wall and being terrified. She finally fell asleep for a while, but woke up again just before dawn and went back to staring at the wall. She closed her eyes when she felt Eli start to stir, but she heard him sigh.

“I know you’re awake, Rose.”

She opened her eyes and he sat up, pulling her with him.

“Did you sleep at all?” he asked.

“A little.”

Eli pulled her closer and kissed her forehead. “You should try to sleep more before we have to go.”

Rose shook her head. “There’s no time and I’m not going to get any sleep till this is over anyway. What if I let everyone down, Eli?”

“You won’t.”

She was about to argue when Tobias knocked on the door and told them it was almost time. Rose climbed out of bed and got dressed, hoping she didn’t throw up on the way to meet the rebels, who were gathering in the woods outside Deris for final instructions before heading to Lumafell in groups. The plan was to gather everyone as stealthily as possible in one place, then all attack en masse. Eli gave her a kiss before they left the room and stayed close to her as they walked to the meeting place. At first Rose stayed back, letting Tobias and Sir Dewer address the assembled rebels. Rose was shocked by how many there were. Sir Dewer stepped up and spoke first.

“You all know why we’re here and the risks involved. But I have recently learned something that has given me renewed hope that we can save our home from the monster currently sitting in the castle. I hope that the news I’m about to share with you will rally your spirits, too. We had thought our princess was lost to us. In fact tomorrow would be the anniversary of her death. So it’s fitting I suppose, that today you learn that she’s alive, and joining us on this mission.”

The rebels assembled who hadn’t already known about Rose began to murmur excitedly. Sir Dewer and Tobias turned to her, and Tobias nodded slightly. Rose squared her shoulders and threw back her hood, stepping out of the crowd to join the two men standing in the center. The gasps and murmurs grew louder and more enthusiastic, especially as other people who had worked in the castle or known her confirmed who she was. Rose’s heart was pounding; it was overwhelming to see so many people looking at her with awe and disbelief. Some people were crying. And then they started bowing. Rose didn’t know why it caught her so off guard. After a moment they quieted, waiting to hear her speak.

“Tobias and his wife saved me,” she said, relieved that her voice sounded clear and steady instead of giving away her nerves. “The fire Lorena set to the summer estate did nearly kill me. And I know she’s taken so much from so many of you. I cannot undo everything she’s done, but today I will make her answer for it.”

Her words received an enthusiastic response and Tobias squeezed her shoulder. Sir Dewer covered the plan one more time, and then people began breaking up into their respective groups. People kept shooting Rose more tearful and excited looks. Rose set out with the second wave of rebels who were meant to storm the castle. It felt like an eternity and no time at all before she was looking at her home again. The air was heavy with the essence of dark magic, and there was a darkness that seemed to hover around the castle itself. Rose stood between Tobias and Eli, worrying about both of them. She turned to Tobias.

“Tobias, I want you to know that you’re like a father to me,” she said. “Even before the fire. When I lost my father, you were there for me. And I love you and Maria, and I can never thank you for all you’ve-“

“Rose.” Tobias’s voice was a little gruff but this time it was because he was clearly emotional. He pulled her into a tight hug. “Don’t talk to me like you’re saying goodbye,” he said.

“I have to say it in case-“

“No,” he said firmly. “No goodbyes, no heartfelt confessions. You are going to survive and I am going to see you become the queen you were always meant to be.”

She could hear the sounds of the first wave of rebels engaging Lorena’s guards. It was nearly time for them to take the castle, when enough guards had been drawn out and were distracted. Tobias released Rose and glanced at Eli, who stood beside her.

“I’m entrusting you to help her make it through this,” he said. “Not just as Princess Rosalie, but as Rose.”

“I understand,” Eli replied. Rose wanted to protest but they were being swept toward the castle now. In mere minutes she’d be in the halls where she’d grown up, and she’d be facing down the woman who plagued her nightmares. She moved among the crowd, her feet carrying her instinctively through the grounds. She thought she would’ve forgotten her way, but everything was shockingly familiar. Rebels poured across the grounds and Rose and Eli made their way through a servants door that led into the kitchens with a large group, breaking away only when they were well inside.

Rose slipped easily into an alcove she remembered that housed a staircase that led up to the guest chambers. She caught Eli’s arm while they were secluded on the stairs.

“I know what Tobias told you,” she said quietly. “But you’re not under an obligation to shoulder that, Eli. You could slip back out of here now and stay far away from Lorena. Facing her will be dangerous.”

“I’m not just here because Tobias asked me to be,” he replied. “I’m here because you’re here.”

“Eli, I can’t ask you to follow me.”

He cupped her face in his hands and looked at her very seriously. “You’re not asking me,” he said. “I’m choosing to follow you. I go where you go, Rose. Whether that’s to the Camsier gardens or facing down your psychotic stepmom, I’m with you.”

Rose blinked away the sudden dampness in her eyes and pulled him into a fierce kiss. She hoped it wouldn’t be their last. Eli seemed to read her mind and squeezed her hands when she pulled back.

“If I don’t win-“ Rose started but he shook his head.

“I’m with Tobias on this,” he said. “Don’t talk like you’re never coming back.”

Rose rolled her eyes. “You two are going to drive me crazy. Let’s go.”

They moved up the stairs and into the guest chambers, which were unsurprisingly empty. Who would want to visit this place? Rose kept moving down the halls, memories coming back to her in waves. They rounded a corner and she slammed to a halt, a small whimper escaping her lips. She had forgotten that this corridor housed large windows that gave a view of the inner courtyard below. The stones were all stained dark red.

“What is that?” Eli asked.

“Do you know how my father died?” Rose asked.

“I’d heard different stories, I was never sure which one was true.”

“Lorena’s magic drove him mad. He was always angry, and he heard voices that terrified him. A lot of the time he didn’t seem to know who I was anymore. I don’t know if it was just too much or if she made him do it, but he jumped from that balcony there. I saw him fall. He landed in the courtyard, and the servants couldn’t clean all the blood from the stones. Lorena could’ve used magic to get rid of it but she left it and the stain spread until the whole courtyard was red.”

Eli cursed quietly while Rose made herself turn away from the windows. She felt a little sick, but they needed to keep going. The sight of where her father had died bolstered some of her resolve. She was going to check Lorena’s chambers but something drew her instead toward the throne room. Eli stopped her, slipping down a hall to dispatch a handful of Lorena’s guards. Even if he was able to get the drop on them because they didn’t sense him coming until too late, Rose still worried about him.

When the coast was clear she joined him and they moved to the door of the throne room. There were no guards at the door and Rose knew that wasn’t a good sign. The door slowly opened on its own.

“I sense a little mouse at my door,” a voice crawled from inside. “Do come in, I’m quite bored.”

Rose shivered at the sound of Lorena’s voice but she walked into the throne room and Eli was right behind her. Two rows of shadowy guards stood lined up on either sid wolf them, and two black magic wolves lounged beside the throne. On the throne itself sat Lorena, her silver-blonde hair falling down around her in a sleek wave and ber nearly colorless eyes boring into Rose like chips of ice.

“Well, well. If it isn’t my pretty little stepdaughter, back from the dead like a phoenix rising from the ashes.” Lorena tapped her long red nails against the armrest of the throne. “What a treat it will be to kill you a second time, Rosalie. And you even brought me a handsome toy to play with.”

“You can probably still run,” Rose said to Eli, drawing her sword. She had her bow and quiver on her back and the dagger Eli had given her tucked up her sleeve.

“I’m not leaving, Rose.”

Tobias had made sure Eli had a decent quality sword too, and Rose summoned up a burst of magic, reaching over to grab Eli’s hand. The spell surged through both of the blades, making them glow. Lorena gave a lazy wave of her hand and the guards attacked. They were made of shadow, so the light blazing from the swords was what could make the blades effective against them. Rose was suddenly very thankful for all of Tobias’s grueling sword lessons as she and Eli cut down over a dozen shadow guards. Lorena continued to sit on the throne, looking bored.

As the guards pushed in around Rose and Eli, she focused on the blades and made them glow brighter, until she had to shut her eyes. When she opened them again the last of the guards were gone. Lorena snapped her fingers and the wolf monsters rose to their feet and leaped off the dais. They snarled and ran right for Rose and Eli. Rose moved swiftly, hitting them with several arrows to at least weaken them a little. Eli swung his sword up and clean through the head of the one that tried to pounce on him. Rose was knocked back by the second wolf, but she hefted her still glowing sword and hacked away at it until it finally collapsed and began to crumple in on itself.

Lorena stood and clapped slowly. “Most impressive, little Rosie. You’ve been busy for a dead girl.”

“Are you going to keep hiding behind your guards and your monsters?” Rose asked. “You’re a lot of things, Lorena, but I didn’t realize you were a coward.”

Lorena gave her a cold smile. “Our Rose has some thorns, doesn’t she. I guess it’s time to do a little trimming.”

Rose barely managed to dive out of the way as Lorena launched a spear of ice at her. It left a cut across her cheek before it shattered against the wall. Rose fired an arrow as she launched back onto her feet. Lorena caught it in midair but didn’t quite dodge the second one, which hit her in the shoulder. She ripped it free, her smirk gone.

“You always were such a wretched brat,” she snapped. She stalked toward Rose and Rose must have gone through her entire repertoire of spells as Lorena kept bearing down on her. She flung Rose across the room and she winced as she struck the heavy throne and toppled down the steps that led to the floor. She was pushing herself up when she saw Eli make an attempt to stab Lorena. She whipped around.

“Ah, ah. None of that now,” she cooed, and sent Eli flying across the room toward Rose. She hastily conjured a spell to slow his landing so as he crashed next to her he didn’t break all his bones. Rose crawled over and helped him sit up. Lorena watched them with a calculating look.

“My, isn’t this sweet. What a striking pair you make.”

She made a beckoning gesture with her hand and Eli was dragged across the floor and then jerked to his feet in front of her. Lorena studied him as Rose got to her feet.

“Leave him alone, Lorena,” she snapped. “Your fight isn’t with him.”

Lorena glanced at her over Eli’s shoulder. “So, you care about this boy, do you? And what about him?”

Lorena spun Eli around so he was facing Rose. Then she waved her hand and Rose was wracked with pain. She screamed and crumpled, feeling blood run from her nose. She was dimly aware of Eli cursing and struggling against the magical binding Lorena had put on him. After several long and agonizing moments, the pain receded. Rose was left in a breathless heap on the floor but she slowly pushed herself to her feet.

“Oh, yes. He seems rather smitten,” Lorena laughed. “Who can blame him really, our little Rosalie is quite a pretty thing. But it’s rather unfortunate for you both. You’d have been better off not caring for her at all.”

Lorena pushed up his sleeve and traced the chain scar on his arm. He glared at her and Rose bristled as she touched him.

“Your tender feelings may belong to your princess fair,” Lorena said. “But you’ve been touched by my magic, pretty boy. Which means part of you also belongs to me.”

She smiled and grabbed Eli’s arm. He flinched and Rose watched with growing dread as tendrils of Lorena’s dark magic poured into the possession scar. Eli’s pupils went so large his eyes were almost entirely black. Lorena stepped back, looking triumphant as Eli jerked as if he was in pain. A black knife appeared in Lorena’s hand, and she placed it in Eli’s.

“So, my little pet. You want her heart so badly, go and take it.”

Rose went pale and so did Eli as he jerked again, clearly trying to fight Lorena’s influence. His movements were awkward and clumsy but his feet still carried him forward. Rose could see the horror in his expression and he tried harder to resist the dark magic urging him toward Rose. She could tell the fighting was hurting him.

“Rose,” he gasped as he drew closer to her. “You have to stop me.”

“I don’t know how to break the connection,” she said desperately.

“Then you have to physically stop me. I know you have your dagger.”

Rose’s eyes flew wide even as she backed away from him. “Eli, no.”

“You have to.” He took another stumbling step forward and the hand holding the knife began to inch up. “Rose, you have to. She’ll make me kill you and I can’t live with that. If you don’t stop me I will find a way to use this knife on myself.”

Rose was vaguely aware that she was crying as she pulled the dagger free. The jewels in the hilt sparkled. She tried desperately to think of a spell that could sever his connection to Lorena but she wasn’t that advanced yet. Her back hit the wall and Eli was nearly on top of her now.

“Rose,” he said, almost begging her. “You have to stab me. Now.”

Rose let out a choked sob, pushing herself away from the wall and burying her dagger into his abdomen. She had aimed where she knew she wouldn’t hit anything vital but it still broke her heart to hurt him. He could still die if she didn’t heal him in time. She whimpered as he dropped the knife Lorena had given him and slumped to the floor.

“I’m sorry,” she said. Then she heard Lorena laughing and a burst of savage rage cut through her tears.

“I meant for him to kill you, but this is even better,” Lorena said. “Your death will be so much sweeter if you suffer first.”

Rose was flung back again, and Lorena pelted her with stinging bits of ice.

“Since fire didn’t work, let’s try freezing the roses to death this time,” Lorena said.

Fire, Rose thought. She summoned up the spell Edgar had taught her, channeling her fear and anger into the flaming ball. It melted the ice Lorena was flinging at her and Rose staggered to her feet. Then she launched the fireball at Lorena. She screamed, scrambling to put out the flames. Rose gripped her dagger and leaped at Lorena just as she managed to beat out the flames that had scorched her dress and hair. Lorena froze and her eyes went wide as Rose sank the blade up to the hilt through her stepmother’s heart.

“How’s that for a fucking thorn,” Rose snarled. She twisted the blade, pulled it free, and slashed it across her throat. Lorena staggered back, making a horrible choking, gurgling sound before she collapsed to her knees and sprawled forward onto the floor in a pool of blood. Her pale eyes had gone vacant and unblinking. Almost immediately Rose could feel a shift as Lorena’s toxic magic began to dissipate. The sounds of fighting outside the castle began to turn to cheers and cries of relief. Rose was ready to crumple but she pushed past the pain and exhaustion and ran back to Eli. He was pale and his breathing was shallow but he was alive. He opened his eyes, which has returned to normal.

“Hey, Princess,” he croaked. Rose started crying again as she placed her hands over his wound to begin healing him.

“I’m sorry,” she sobbed. “I’m so sorry, Eli. Stay with me, okay? You have to hold on, I’m going to fix you.”

It took more effort than it should have to heal the wound; Rose’s body wanted to shut down on her. Her head hurt from where Lorena had slammed her into the throne, she had cuts from the ice, and she’d used a lot of powerful magic. But she focused intently on Eli’s wound, whispering over and over that she was sorry and he had to hold on. She had gotten the wound healed enough that he would live, but her vision was going blurry and she had to fight to stay conscious. Then there were voices around her and hands grabbing at her and she was too weak now to properly protest. The last thing she remembered was a voice declaring a rebel victory, and then everything went dark.