‹ Prequel: Rebel Children

Royal Rebels

Three

Eli tried his best when it came to political affairs and he wasn't a natural born leader, but he knew when it was weighing on Rose. He had woken up before her the next morning, but just stayed in bed for a while and played with her hair gently. She didn't stir until Felicity started fussing in the other room. Eli leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"I've got it," he said quietly. "You stay in bed."

She gave him a grateful smile as her eyes closed again. He knew she was under enough pressure from her council, and it didn't help that Felicity woke up in the middle of the night and kept them from sleeping. She calmed slightly when Eli lifted her out of her crib and nearly gagged at the smell.

"You really know how to wake me up," he mumbled. "Alright. Let's address this."

Eli knew he could easily find a maid to change Felicity's diapers, but since she was born, both he and Rose had insisted on being her primary caretakers. Besides occasionally leaving her with a nanny to attend to larger events or political matters, they did everything themselves. Eli felt no shame in helping, either. Some seemed to think Rose was out of line for "forcing" him to do demeaning things, but he didn't mind it. After all, he changed Charlie's diapers after their parents died.

He fastened the clean diaper onto Felicity and dressed her in a clean nightdress, then carried her back to their own bed. She cooed softly when Eli lowered her next to Rose, and she smiled brightly.

"Hello, my love," Rose said softly. "Don't you smell all powdered and fresh?"

Eli laid back in bed with a sigh, putting his arm around the both of them.

"You took care of her all night," Rose told him. "I could have changed her."

"You've been working hard recently," he said. "You needed some real rest. I'll help where I can."

"You're incredible," she said, pulling him down to kiss him.

"What's on the agenda today?" he asked.

"Ugh," she grumbled, sinking under the covers. "More notes. More letters. We have to get ready for these visiting royals. And I know some of the members of the court think I've been avoiding them, which I have, but it's etiquette to invite them for-"

"Hey," Eli interrupted. "None of that today. You've done plenty for the visiting royals and the court. Do something for yourself today."

"You know I can't," she said.

"And why can't you?" he shrugged. "Just tell them you're not doing it today. Remember what you told me when I told you I couldn't marry you because I wasn't of noble title?"

"This is different."

"You told me that everyone could fuck off, because you were the queen and you got to make those decisions," he reminded her. "Right?"

She couldn't help but smile, looking down at Felicity as the baby began to doze off again in her arms.

"I suppose it's been a while since I've spent some time with her," Rose admitted.

"There you go then," Eli said. "Spend the day with your daughter. I'll cover for you. And then we can have dinner, just the two of us. How does that sound?"

"You'll cover?" she questioned.

"As much as I can," he said. "As much as they'll allow me. I can ask Tobias to help. If all else fails, it can wait until tomorrow."

Eli knew he was no good at politics, but he loved Rose and he could handle some of her errands for her. He made an attempt to dress in his fineries, which really did make him look somewhat like the "dark prince" he was rumored to be.

Of course, he was no prince, but he was well aware of the gossip that he was full of darkness and only waited the chance to kill Rose and take her throne. It was a major reason why they had so many people coming to visit in the first place. Eli had to prove that he wasn't some kind of murderous villain.

"It would help if you added a little color to your wardrobe," Tobias told him later, as they organized through the papers that had come into the queen's inbox that day.

"Color?" Eli asked, raising a brow.

"I know you have a preference for black and grey, but a little color might make you look a little more alive," Tobias said.

"Sure," Eli smirked. "I'll just show up to the next function in a bright yellow. How does that sound to you, Tobias?"

Tobias thought for a moment, then shook his head and chuckled.

"You're probably right," he said. "The thought of you prancing around like a daffodil is probably more frightening."

"I'm not going to pretend to be anything other than I am," Eli told him. "A ten foot tall brute of a man with only half a soul, who only wants to live peacefully with his family."

"I don't know about the 'brute' part, but that is what we're trying to show," Tobias said. "You mean no ill will to the queen, or to any neighboring kingdom. It'll be a week or so of back to back parties, balls, banquets... Exhausting, but some things just can't be dealt with in a meeting room or over a battlefield. Sometimes it takes charm to make friends."

"We'll see."

"That means you'll have to talk," Tobias pressed. "You can't hide in the shadows this time. You'll have to walk around and mingle."

"Of course," he sighed. "I have to be a Charlie."

"Maybe don't talk that much," Tobias grinned. "Still, do you think you can manage? Just a week. It's for Rose."

"You know I'll do my best," Eli said. "For Rose, I'll do better than my best. I wish I could do more, but I don't even know how to organize these things. This is an invitation to her second cousin twice removed's seventh birthday. Does that go in the 'essential' pile or the 'nonessential' pile?"

"Depends on his parents," Tobias said. "Where does he lie on the family tree?"

"Good question," he grumbled. "I haven't memorized the royal family quite yet. I only just finished memorizing the consistution, and I still mix up that bit at the end."

"We can all see how hard you're working," Tobias told him. "We just have to make sure these neighboring kingdoms see it, too."

"Tobias, that almost sounded like you were complimenting me," Eli said.

"Moron like you? I would never."

Eli cracked a smile as Tobias leaned over to give him a whack on the back of the head with the stack of papers he was holding. Eli and Tobias were never exactly friends, but he did have the man's support after everything he did for Rose. It was really all he could ask him for. He was right, though. Eli may not have liked it, but he would have to socialize. He had to do it for Rose.