‹ Prequel: Rebel Children

Royal Rebels

Five

“Maybe I can go to the East Isles and study turtles or something.”

Eli tried his best to pretend he cared while Charlie prattled on and on about his big sixteen year old “coming of age” experience. He was standing in front of a mirror to make himself look as Duke-like as possible, but Charlie somehow looked like a natural born rich kid even with the way he was lying sloppily on the couch.

“Whatever it is, it has to be a statement,” Charlie said. “Something to show I’m a man now.”

“I’ll be honest, I really don’t care,” Eli said. “There’s some other things on my mind right now.”

“Are you worried about those visiting royals?” Charlie asked, sitting up. “King Fillius seemed nice. King Eadric, too.”

“They’re still blood royals,” Eli said. “Neither of them grew up digging graves.”

“You’ll do fine,” Charlie shrugged. “If nothing else, you look the part. Maybe you should wear more jewelry, though. Or something glitzy.”

Eli frowned and looked down, knowing the only thing of high value he wore was his wedding ring. Even that was only a simple gold band. Otherwise, he wasn’t the sort to deck himself out in jewels and a crown. He thought for a moment, then shook his head.

“It doesn’t suit me,” he said. “I’m trying not to look like I’m hiding ill intent behind nice things.”

For once, Charlie had nothing to say. Even he knew that Eli wasn’t being dramatic about the rumors floating around about him. He was nauseated with nerves as he met Rose and they headed down to the banquet hall, where they were hosting a grand dinner for all their guests. She looked queenly as ever in a shiny red velvet, and Eli felt his nerves ease a bit when she smiled at him and reached up to fix his hair.

“Am I looking okay?” he asked.

“Perfect,” she said, kissing his cheek.

As much as he wanted to run and hide, he stayed close behind Rose as they were announced and entered the hall. There was a flurry of hellos and introductions, and Eli kept a polite smile plastered on his face the entire time while trying to remember all the etiquette required to not offend anyone.

Queen Annemarie and her family had arrived just before the banquet. Eli found the woman to be even more intimidating than her husband and the brutal scarring on the side of his face, hidden by an eyepatch. At least he knew Holden was a good fighter. Annemarie looked like she was good at court warfare, which Eli didn’t understand in the least. Their four children stood in an nice line beside them as they were introduced.

“Our eldest, Eric,” Annemarie started. “He’s taken after his father and has proven to be quite the soldier. Then there’s Ivan. He’s a very talented artist. You must come see his paintings one day. Then Peter, our wonderful musician. And finally our youngest, Serena. She aspires to be a singer.”

All four children dipped into well-trained bows, and Eli exchanged an impressed look with Rose. Though, she did look like she was trying not to laugh at how rehearsed it all was.

“Well I do hope all of you find your accommodations comfortable-“

“My name is Charles- Charlie.”

Everyone turned to look at Charlie in surprise when his outburst cut Eli off, but the boy had hardly noticed. He was staring wide-eyed at Serena. He almost looked hypnotized by her. Serena seemed a little awkward, and Eli quickly put a hand on Charlie’s shoulder and excused himself as he dragged the kid away.

“What the hell are you doing?” Eli whispered once they were out of earshot and Rose had them distracted with conversation.

“I think I just became a man,” Charlie squeaked.

Eli rolled his eyes and sent Charlie to the other side of the room so he didn’t cause more trouble. Rose joined Eli a few moments later, watching curiously.

“What’s going on there?” she asked.

“Nothing. He’s sixteen.”

“Oh,” she said with a soft laugh. “Well, it seems we’ve completed our rounds. Will you be asking me to dance, or shall I wander the ballroom until someone else takes my hand?”

“I dare them to try.”

Dancing was surprisingly one of the few things Eli was good at. It was something he had learned when he was still a child, and while dancing around the kitchen with his mother wasn’t exactly the same thing, it ended up being a surprisingly good base to start from. It was also one of the few things Eli enjoyed doing at these big parties. Mostly because it meant he didn’t have to socialize, and he could keep his focus on his wife. After a few songs, they found an opportunity to step off to the side and have a quiet minute.

“How are you feeling?” she asked softly. “Do you need a minute? Do you need to lie down?”

“I think I’m okay,” Eli said. “Don’t worry about me. I’m just here to make you look good.”

She rolled her eyes, but she was smiling. Their attention turned towards the door when a late arrival was announced. Eli felt Rose tense when King Anders and Queen Verlina entered. This must have been the kingdom that was once allied closely with Lorena.

They looked around the ballroom like they were judging every inch of it, examining the changes Rose had made after taking over. When they spotted Rose and Eli, they approached with a smile that made Eli feel chills. Nothing about it seemed friendly.

“King Anders,” Rose said, sounding more formal than she did with the others. “Queen Verlina. How nice to see you.”

“Quite,” Verlina said, equally cold in her tone. “And this must be your husband. We’ve heard so much.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Eli said dully.

He noticed their gaze move down to his arms, seemingly disappointed that they couldn’t see his scarring under the sleeves. He tugged down on them without realizing it. Rose reached over and touched his arm lightly, and he picked a glass of champagne off a passing tray so his hands were occupied.

“You’re surprisingly light on your feet for a man of your size,” Anders noted. “How nice.”

“He’s a wonderful dancer,” Rose said. “Always has been.”

“And you received court training as a child?” Verlina asked innocently.

She knew the answer, but Eli could tell she just wanted to make him say it out loud. They were trying to get a rise out of him, and it took everything in his power not to snap or shut down.

“No,” he said simply. “I wasn’t raised within the court.”

“And where are you from?” she asked.

“Brimsey.”

“I’m not familiar,” Verlina said, looking to her husband. “Are you familiar, dear?”

“I believe it’s one of the outer cities,” Anders said with a sly look in his eyes. “Mostly undesirables, vagrants. Not our Duke, of course.”

“Of course,” Verlina agreed. “Our Duke is too fine of a dancer to be one of that sort.”

“That sort?” Eli said, feeling his grip on the glass tightening.

“Oh, we mean it as a compliment,” Verlina reassured him. “You’re a fine man, despite your history. Clearly, you come from good stock. What did your parents do?”

Rose tensed again, knowing what they were trying to do. They wanted to make Eli look like a brute.

“My father was a miner,” he said. “My mother was a barmaid.”

“What a shame you couldn’t help them get to where you are now.”

Eli tensed again, and suddenly the glass in his hand shattered. There was a soft gasp as the glass clattered to the floor and blood dripped from Eli’s hand. Verlina and Anders looked infuriatingly smug.

“Sorry,” Eli said. “I have a bit of a firm grip. Excuse me.”

Eli nodded to them and walked out of the ballroom, feeling eyes on him as he left. He picked glass out of his bleeding palm and cursed under his breath as he ducked into the library nearby. When he was alone, he sat down hard on the couch and let his head fall back. Even when he was trying his best, he was a stupid brute.