‹ Prequel: Rebel Children

Royal Rebels

Seven

When Eli heard Rose had been attacked and hurt, he ran to find her right away. By the time he got there the wound had been mostly healed, but both she and Maria looked exhausted. He thanked Maria and knelt down next to Rose’s chair.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” she sighed. “It’s not a big deal. We don’t need to make a big deal of it.”

“You didn’t get shot by a poison arrow on accident,” he said. “Someone within the palace walls attacked you. Did you see who it was?”

“If I did, I’d have done something about it.”

She probably didn’t mean to sound as snippy as she did, but Eli didn’t say anything else. Clearly, she was frustrated.

She was still frustrated as they put Felicity to sleep and were getting ready for bed. He watched her pull a brush through her hair for a while before he stood up and took the brush from her, brushing her hair a little more gently.

“You’re going scalp yourself, yanking like that,” he said.

She sighed softly and closed her eyes.

“That feels nice,” she said. “I’m just a little irritated that the injury had to be such a big deal. It’s fine now, I’m healed.”

“You’re healed because you were lucky and Maria was nearby,” Eli said. “If someone is out to get you, we don’t know when they’ll strike next.”

“No one is out to get me.”

“So a poison arrow just accidentally hit you after our weird interaction with the Akrethan’s?” he questioned. “Rose, you need to remember who you are. I can’t help but feel I carry some of the blame here. If I hadn’t been such a brute, they wouldn’t think you’re-“

“Eli, stop,” she said, glaring at him through the mirror. “I’m tired and I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

“I’m not going to pretend nothing happened,” he argued.

She scowled and snatched the brush out of his hand.

“This is why I didn’t want Charlie saying anything,” she said. “I knew you’d make a fuss.”

“I make a fuss because I care,” he said in exasperation. “This is the only way I can help you. I’m not a politician. I’m not graceful. I’m not you. You have to give me some ease of mind here.”

She didn’t say anything and put the brush away to sit on the bed. Eli sighed and ran a hand over his face.

“We hardly ever argue,” he said. “It’s sort of startling when we do.”

“I guess something would be wrong if we didn’t,” she said. “But I agree. It’s not great.”

“I’m not mad at you,” he said gently. “I’m just frustrated that you have to go through this and I’m no help.”

“You’re more help than you know,” she said softly. “I wish you could see that.”

“I think I need a drink,” he sighed.

“The kitchen should be quiet by now.”

“I mean out in Deris,” he said. “Just for a couple hours.”

“I wish you wouldn’t,” she frowned. “I know you like to go out every now and then, but it could still be a problem if someone recognizes you.”

“No one will recognize me,” he promised. “Get some rest, I’ll be back soon.”

She still didn’t seem convinced as he kissed the top of her head and went to change into some simple clothes. Sneaking out to Deris was something Eli did often, though Rose didn’t love it. Every now and again he just needed to feel like a common peasant again.

For the most part, it was easy to blend in. The pub owner knew his true identity and let him take a seat at the end of the bar, where he could be out of sight and out of mind. He kept his sleeves down and bandages around his forearms to hide the scarring that would give him away, and no one approached him after that. He was nursing some ale when a young red headed woman slid into a seat next to him and flashed him a bright smile.

“How about we have ourselves a nice evening?” she asked. “Only ten piece for the whole night.”

“No, thank you,” Eli said dully. “I’m married.”

“I think most men in here are married,” she said with a light laugh. “Doesn’t stop them.”

“Not interested,” Eli insisted.

She hesitated, and he noticed her look down at his pocket where his coin pouch was. She must have seen that he had a good amount in there when he paid for his drink, hence why she was targeting him.

“Are you interested in blondes?” she asked.

Eli looked up to tell her to go away, but was startled to find her appearance had changed. Elements of her were still there, but her green eyes had turned a bright blue and her auburn hair was a pale blonde.

“Maybe a brunette?”

Her appearance changed right before his eyes as her hair and eyes both changed to a dark brown.

“How are you doing that?” he asked. “Glamour magic?”

“It’s just something I can do,” she said, her appearance turning back to normal. “Same way a person can whistle or snap their fingers.”

“But… how?”

“Back when Queen Whorena was in power, her magic created these rifts in places where it was stronger,” the girl shrugged. “Some of us kids ended up with these weird mutations. I can’t do much, but I can do… you know… this.”

She wrinkled her nose a bit at the mention of her profession. Eli thought for a moment, then turned to face her.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“Crystal Blue.”

“What’s your real name?”

“Christine.”

“I’ll pay you triple to keep your clothes on and talk to me outside for a minute,” Eli told her.

“That’s suspicious,” she said. “But who am I to deny triple pay?”

Christine followed him outside and into a side alley, and it looked like she might have been scared Eli would kill her. He realized how it may have looked, so he was quick to explain himself and who he was. She didn’t believe him until he unwrapped the bandages and showed her the scars.

“Am I supposed to bow or something?” she asked warily.

“No,” Eli said. “Please don’t. I just wanted to make you an offer. Clearly, you’re not into your line of work.”

“No, but it pays the bills.”

“What if I can triple what you make in a week?” Eli asked. “Plus a room of your own, clothes, and all of your meals. Whatever you need, really. All in the palace.”

“And what do I have to do for all that?”

“Pose as a lady’s maid for my wife,” Eli told her.

“A handmaiden to the queen?” Christine asked, raising a brow. “I don’t know if I’m much good at that sort of thing.”

“You don’t need to actually do maid things,” he said. “I mean, I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure Rose would rather dress herself. All I would ask you to do is keep an eye on things in the palace. It’s easy for you to hide. Blend in. Report back if you find out anything off.”

“I play spy, and you take care of my needs?” she said slowly.

“As long as you’re loyal, so are we,” Eli reassured her. “And no one but me or the queen would know about this ability you have. You can live a normal life where you don’t owe anyone a service you don’t want to give.”

She thought for a second, then smiled and held out a hand to Eli.

“You’ve got a deal, your royal Dukelyness.”