Carnie Love

Ten

Willow had taken off running, leaving Damon in a daze and wondering what the hell just happened. The two of them were so close and had been together for so long, it almost felt normal to kiss her. Like it was surprising that it had taken so long in the first place. Really, he should have seen it coming. His protectiveness came from a place of affection.

He took off running after her, but she managed to dodge him all the way back to the inn. When he tried to climb up through the window, she had closed and locked it. He tapped on it and she spun around, pale.

“Open the window,” Damon said.

She shook her head like a pouty child, and he gave her an unamused look. His expression must have spooked her a little bit, because she sheepishly shuffled over and opened it for him. He climbed through and plopped down on the floor to catch his breath.

“Why the hell did you do that?” he asked finally.

“I’m sorry,” she blurted. “I shouldn’t have kissed you. It was the wine and I-“

“I don’t mean that,” Damon said. “I mean running away. Why did you make me chase you through the crowd like I was trying to catch a rabbit?”

“I don’t know,” she mumbled. “I got nervous.”

“Are we going to talk about it or are you going to dive out the window?”

She reluctantly walked over and slid down the wall to sit on the floor next to him. They were quiet for a few moments, until Damon reached over and took her hand so she would stop anxiously picking at her cuticles. She seemed to ease a little at his touch.

“Do you hate me?” she finally asked.

“I could never hate you,” he said. “I love you. You know that.”

“But not in that way,” she said.

“I never said that.”

“So… you do?”

“I guess I never really thought about it,” he admitted. “I’ve always wanted the best of everything for you, since we were kids. I don’t know what made you different than everyone else. I could tell you needed me.”

“I did,” she said. “I still do.”

“I don’t think that’s true,” he chuckled. “You’ve grown up. You can handle things on your own. The truth is, I think I need you more than you need me. Otherwise I’m just another sleazebag on the street.”

“You are not a sleazebag,” she said. “You’re charming and you care so much about other people.”

“You deserve better than me,” he said. “Then again, I don’t think I could ever tolerate seeing you with anyone else.”

They were quiet for another moment, then Damon pulled her into another kiss. This time it wasn’t hasty and she melted into it. It seemed like she had been waiting, and surprisingly it didn’t seem strange.

Damon fell asleep in her room again that night, and though nothing unsavory had happened, he woke up startled to find how late in the morning it was. Willow was curled up next to him, but she should have been up and getting ready by now. He cursed under his breath and gently shook her awake. She groaned as she lifted her head, red ringlets of hair falling in messy tendrils around her face.

“Huh? What’s going on?”

“It’s late,” Damon said. “We fell asleep.”

She didn’t seem to understand at first, but then her eyes shot wide open and she gasped in realization. Damon scrambled to get his shoes and belt back on while Willow messily tied her hair back and threw a frilly robe over her nightgown, but just as Damon was about to sneak out, there was a knock on the door.

Willow suddenly shoved Damon into the closet and shut it on him before going to open it. He was tucked awkwardly between gowns but could see through a crack in the closet doors as she opened the door for Nikolai. He let himself in and glanced at her, then around the room.

“Are you unwell?” he asked simply. “You should have gotten dressed and done your vocal warmups by now.”

“Yes,” Willow said awkwardly. “I was just a little under the weather this morning. But I’m alright now.”

“Hm. You look pale.”

Damon flinched when Nikolai grabbed Willow’s face and tilted it from one side to the other. It took everything in his power not to burst out and pull the creep off of her. Nikolai let go of Willow’s face.

“Did you go somewhere last night?” he asked.

“No. I was asleep by nine. Why?”

“James was talking about you,” he said.

“James? Oh, you mean Gramps?”

“He’s not your ‘gramps’,” Nikolai said sternly. “I suppose the old man is getting on in age. He’s starting to see things. Don’t you worry about him, though. Let’s get you dressed. Perhaps pink today?”

Damon tensed as Nikolai started towards the closet, but Willow jumped out at him first.

“I can dress myself,” she said quickly.

Nikolai’s hand was still on the closet door handle, and Damon held his breath as he dropped it.

“Fine,” he said. “But I expect you to put in an extra hour of work today. No cutting corners because you slept in late. And I’ll have them bring a good breakfast up to your room. We can’t afford to have you getting sick.”

“Maybe it’s… never mind.”

Damon lit up with interest when it looked for a moment like Willow was about to defy Nikolai. She may have seen herself as meek, but Damon wasn’t kidding around when he said she didn’t need him anymore. She was getting stronger.

“Maybe what?” Nikolai asked.

“I’m working too much,” she said, though her voice was barely a whisper. “It might be exhaustion.”

Nikolai paused and looked her up and down.

“Don’t be silly,” he said. “You’re fine. Now get dressed.”

“Yes, sir,” she said softly.

She immediately backed down, but the one move on her part was already a lot. Damon waited until Nikolai was gone before slowly coming out of the closet. Willow looked like she was about to pass out, so he pulled her in and held her for a minute.

“You did great, Squeaky,” he said. “Take it easy if you can. I’ll come see you tonight?”

“Promise?” she asked.

“Promise.”

She smiled and blushed as he leaned down to kiss her one more time before making his quiet descent back out the window.