Carnie Love

Three

Willow sat on her bed playing with Rigby’s floppy ears and smooshing his little puppy face. She sometimes wished that Damon wouldn’t do things to antagonize Nikolai, but so far he had let him stay with the carnival. He was with the carnival in the first place because of Willow. When she’d been caught snooping around the carnival some of the carnies had thought she was a sweet little kid and offered to let her come along, and she had said only if Damon came too.

“It figures that you would find a stray puppy,” Willow said, flashing Damon an amused look. “If there’s trouble to be found, you’ll find it every time.”

“It’s part of my charm,” Damon grinned. He sat beside her and fended off eager puppy kisses from Rigby.

“You have charm?” Willow cocked her head in mock confusion and then giggled when Damon gently flicked her forehead.

“Excuse you, I am incredibly charming.”

“I suppose you have your moments,” Willow conceded, but it wasn’t much of a concession. She’d always found him charming.

“We’re all loaded up and ready to head out in the morning,” Damon said. Willow didn’t reply, just staring down as Rigby started to doze off in her arms.

“What’s the matter?” Damon asked.

“It’s just a lot of pressure. There’s lots of people with talent in a place like Elgion. And I don’t know if I’m really good enough to perform there,” Willow admitted.

“Hey, come on. Those big city snobs will be lucky to hear you sing.”

Willow managed a faint smile, but her stomach still hurt at the idea of performing in Elgion. Nikolai was going to expect perfection from her and she didn’t know what he’d do if she screwed this up. She kept hoping she’d get used to being in front of people and stop getting so nervous. Not getting to see Damon all the time like she used to and Nikolai constantly hovering around her wasn’t helping to cure her shyness and jitters, either.

At least she could enjoy his and Rigby’s company for a little while, and that made her feel a bit better. It almost felt like the days before Nikolai discovered her as they sat in her wagon and Damon made her laugh with all his dumb jokes and over the top impressions of Nikolai. When he finally had to go, Willow hopped up off her bed to hug him tightly. He laughed and hugged her back.

“I’m not actually going anywhere, you know,” he said. “What’s with the lung crusher hug?”

“I just miss you,” Willow pouted. He arched an eyebrow.

“See, I told you I was charming,” he teased. Willow rolled her eyes and he smiled.

“I’m always around,” he promised. “You know I’ll never be very far away.”

“I know.”

“And now Rigby will be here for you too.”

He lifted the puppy up and he tried to lick Willow’s face, making her giggle.

“You two better try and stay out of trouble,” she said.

“That sounds really boring.”

“Go to bed, you idiot,” Willow laughed. Early in the morning they left for Elgion and Nikolai dropped off the music he wanted her to practice and the new stuff she was supposed to learn. Willow sighed, moving around her assorted bouquets to sit at the tiny vanity table to study the music. She didn’t like being surrounded by gifts from Nikolai, but at least the flowers made her wagon smell pretty. Willow brewed some tea and sipped it before she started doing some vocal warm ups.

She decided that maybe if she got some practice in before Nikolai forced her to practice with him that she could impress him enough that he’d let her go sooner. She was working through memorizing the second new song when she heard a commotion outside. She sighed.

“Damon,” she muttered. She poked her head out to see Rigby trying to gnaw on Nikolai’s cane. Damon wasn’t making much effort to stop him.

“Where the hell did that thing come from?” Nikolai growled.

“Well,” Damon said. “When a mommy doggy and a daddy doggy love each other very much—“

“Shut up.” Nikolai glowered coldly at Damon. “I want it gone. Drop it back on the street where you found it.”

“I found it back in the town we left this morning. Do you really want to throw us off schedule by turning around?” Damon asked mildly. Nikolai yanked his cane away from Rigby, who growled faintly. Nikolai looked at the dog with extreme distaste and Willow worried he was about to kick him. She stepped out of her wagon and began to make her way over to the scene.

“I will not have another stray mutt who’s not even housebroken wreaking havoc all over my carnival,” Nikolai snapped.

“Aw, come on, Nikkie,” Damon said cheerfully. “I’m sure if you just keep working at it you’ll get that whole using the bathroom thing down.”

Nikolai gripped his cane so hard his knuckles went white but Willow stepped in before he could keep yelling.

“Can’t the puppy stay?” she asked sweetly. “He’s so cute.”

Rigby toddled over to her, jumping on her leg to demand pets. She knelt to scratch his ears and then looked up at Nikolai.

“See, he’s a sweetheart,” she said. “We can’t just leave a helpless puppy on the street.”

Nikolai was clearly trying not to scowl, but he finally let out a sharp sigh.

“Fine,” he said flatly. “The little mongrel can stay. Willow, you should get back inside so we can get back on the road.”

Willow tried not to look too glum about that, but at least Rigby could stay. She glanced at Damon and he gave her a quick smile and wink while Nikolai wasn’t looking. It brightened her mood a little. She went back to her wagon and sat down at her vanity again. Instead of picking up the sheet music again, she opened the drawer and pulled out her little keepsake box. It was filled with little things she’d collected, and gifts from Damon. She had put the bracelet bed left for her inside, and now she pulled it out to admire the pretty little beads.

She smiled to herself and then slipped it onto her wrist. She gently put the box away and then returned her attention to her songs.