Oh Hex No

fourteen

Visiting home for the week and meeting Serena's family turned out not to be as terrifying as Erik thought it would be. By the end of the night, even Ginny was feeling at home with the Bellwoods. They insisted she visit them again, even after Erik left.

"I couldn't possibly burden you," Ginny said quickly. "Besides, I work every day of the week."

"Every day of the week?" Antoinette said, mortified. "Where on earth are they treating you like that?"

"The pub," Ginny said softly. "The drunks aren't great to be around and they don't always tip, but it's not so bad."

"A woman of your class shouldn't be working such a demaning job," Antoinette said. "Isn't that right, Daddy?"

"I agree," Philippe nodded. "With your skills, you should be working in a higher end bakery or cafe."

"What a wonderful idea!" Antoinette beamed.

Ginny akwardly looked to Erik, who just shrugged.

"I don't know about that," she said hesitantly. "I appreciate what you're trying to do, but my reputation isn't great."

"Why, because you made a mistake when you were a child?" Antoinette scoffed. "Nonsense. I'll have that turned around by tomorrow. Then we'll be finding you a new job that you belong in. I'll send a letter on the wind for you."

She tapped Ginny's nose with her wand, leaving the woman somewhat confused and so overwhelmed she looked on the verge of tears. Erik just stood back and smiled. His mother had been working for pennies in that pub since she fell pregnant with him, and they had never treated her well. She really did deserve a new chance.

Erik spent the rest of the week helping his mother around the house and making some repairs on the shabby place that had appeared while he was away. She didn't ask him about school again, though she was beaming with pride after Serena's high praise of him.

He was sitting at the table and flipping through the newspaper when there was a knock at the door. He went to answer it and found a friendly looking man standing there with a small basket of fresh eggs. The smile fell off his face and he awkwardly removed his cap when he saw Erik standing there.

"Can I help you?" Erik asked.

"Sorry to bother," the man said. "Uh, I have an arrangement with Miss Marvell. Is... she home?"

"Oh, Theodore," Ginny said, wiping her hands on her apron as she came down the stairs. "Sorry, I didn't hear you knock."

"Quite alright, Miss Marvell," Theodore said, turning a bit red.

"I've told you before, Ginny is fine," she said with a smile. "I see you've met my son, Erik. He's visiting home for the holiday. Erik, this is Theodore. He moved in nearby, and he brings me fresh eggs from his chicken coop every week."

"Hello, Theodore," Erik said, eyeing the man up and down. "Thanks for the eggs."

"Of course," he stammered. "Pleasure to meet you. See you next week, Miss- Erm, Ginny."

He nodded briefly and turned red again as he scurried off. Erik slowly closed the door and watched his mother take the eggs into the kitchen to put away.

"That guy likes you," Erik said.

"Don't be silly," Ginny said. "His wife passed away several years ago, so I think he's lonely. He's just nice."

"Because he likes you."

"Erik."

"And he knows about me," Erik noted. "So... he doesn't mind?"

"I suppose not," Ginny shrugged. "I guess I haven't thought much about it, but he knows I've never been married. I'm sure he did the math."

"But he still likes you," Erik repeated. "Ma, the eggs are just an excuse to come see you. You know that, right?"

"And what about you?" Ginny asked, changing the subject. "You and Serena are awfully close, but you say you're just friends?"

"We are," Erik said, turning red. "That's different."

"Hm, I don't know. You got her a gift."

"It's solstice. It's part of the holiday."

Ginny didn't say anything, but gave him a knowing smirk.

"You're such an airhead, sometimes," Ginny said. "Just think about it. And maybe next time I'll invite Theodore for tea."

Erik didn't know if there was anything to think about. Sure, their families were friends now, but a relationship was a completely different world. He wasn't fit to breathe the same air as her, let alone anything more. He felt like he could be jailed for even looking her way.

They were both a little quieter on the train ride back to Mondhaven. Erik stared out the window at the snowy trees passing by, and he could feel Serena glancing up from her book every now and again to look at him. Montague had perched himself on Erik's lap again, though the cat hissed any time he tried to pet him and disturb his nap.

"Are you alright?" Serena finally asked. "You look a little distant."

"I'm fine," he said. "Just thinking about getting back to life when we get back. Work. And the exams."

"We still have a couple months," she said.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "I still think I should wait until next year."

"Erik, you'll be ready," Serena insisted. "I promise."

"I hope you're right," he sighed. "Though I guess my mother isn't going to depend on me quite as much now that she has help from your family."

"Does that make you sad?"

"No, I'm happy for her," he said. "There's a man, too. Theodore. He seems nice."

"You are such a mama's boy," Serena said with a soft laugh. "You've had your tail between your legs this whole time, and you've only been away from her an hour."

"I am not."

"You are," she giggled. "It's sweet."

He looked at her and she blushed slightly, looking down at the book in her lap.

"Anyways, speaking of getting back to life," she said, "Mondhaven always has this solstice party after the students come back from the break. Attending students are selected by the dean. It's dull, but there's dancing and some pretty good food."

"Sounds like fun," Erik said. "It's okay, we don't have to do lessons that night."

"Oh, it's not about that," she said. "Actually, I wanted to know if you wanted to go with me?"

"To the dean's party?" Erik asked, raising a brow.

"It would be nice to have a friend there," she said quickly. "The others aren't as fun to be around."

"I'll stick out like a sore thumb," Erik grimaced. "Did you forget that no one likes me? I have nothing to wear to a party like that. And the professors will be there. How are you going to explain how we know each other? If they find out about our lessons, they'll shut it down."

"I'll get you something to wear," she said, rolling her eyes. "And if anyone questions us, we just say we're from the same town and you're a friend of the family. It's not like we'd be lying."

Erik didn't say anything. Serena's family was one thing. They had open minds. A party at Monhaven was another. Everyone actively hated him, and they weren't going to change their minds if he was with Serena.

"Never mind," Serena said. "It was stupid."

Erik felt a pang of guilt as she frowned and looked back down at her book. She seemed to be genuine in wanting to spend that time with him, and he didn't have to be so weird around someone who had proven herself to be so accepting of him.

"I'm not letting you go out and by some suit without letting me see it first," he told her. "I'll wear something practical that will help me blend into the background. No purple satins or flashy bow ties because you say they match my eyes or 'are the latest trends'. Deal?"

Serena looked up and grinned.

"You'll love it."