Oh Hex No

six

Erik was still unsure of magic lessons with Serena, but it turned out not to be as scary as he thought. He demonstrated the few spells he knew, which were simple first year spells that she probably learned in a week. Things like starting small fires, levitating objects, and freezing water. He also knew how to make the dishes wash themselves, but that was due to laziness more than anything else.

He expected Serena to laugh at him, but she actually seemed impressed that he learned it all on his own. She didn’t mention how a twelve year old could do all the same things with ease.

“Your cast is flawless, but your lines are a little shaky when you’re tracing the runes,” she said, using her own wand to demonstrate. “You just need to do it with more confidence. It will make the spell a lot stronger and more reliable.”

“Confidence isn’t easy when you’re trying to figure things out on your own.”

“Well you’re not on your own anymore,” she said sternly. “Come on, light the stove. Confident lines this time.”

He repeated the fire starting spell, this time with straighter lines like she showed him. A spark flew from the wand and to the stove, lighting a nice flame beneath the kettle. Serena grinned and clapped for him.

“See? Confidence.”

Erik sort of just made a “hmph” noise as he set the wand down and sat at the table for a break. Serena poured out two cups of tea once the water came to a boil, and slid one over to him.

“What’s with all the attitude?” she asked. “You’re doing fine so far.”

“I guess.”

“Stop that,” she scolded. “You are. And you’ll know everything you need to know by the time the graduation exams come around.”

“And when I go in to take the exams, how will I explain where I learned it all?” Erik asked. “You’re a great witch, but you don’t have a license to practice or teach. No offense. We could both get in trouble.”

“Salient point,” she admitted. “We’ll figure it out when we get there. If they can find loopholes, so can we.”

“Just don’t get in trouble over me,” Erik said. “I can survive if they ever take my wand away, but I’d never forgive myself if they took yours.”

“They won’t.”

She was a lot more confident in this than Erik was. He just leaned back in his chair with a sigh and held the warm mug of tea in his hands.

“So who’s Bea?” Serena asked, changing the subject. “I know she’s your neighbor, but are you related or something? You seem close.”

“No, nothing like that,” Erik said. “Her parents work long hours and she’s left home alone a lot. I just make sure she’s fed and alive. The kid is pretty good at taking care of herself though.”

“Her parents leave her alone?” she frowned. “Isn’t she a little young for that?”

“They have magic sensitivity, so they work desk jobs for the high council,” he explained. “The paperwork jobs you get when you don’t get to keep your wand. It happens to a lot of people who score low on their exams or choose not to go to school because the tuition is too high. The pay isn’t very good, so they’re working long hours to make ends meet. They also have a savings fund in case Bea finds a magic sensitivity, too. She’s too young to know for now, but they don’t want her in the same boat as them later. It’s the sort of career people like me end up in.”

“I had no idea the system was so… broken.”

“I don’t know,” Erik shrugged. “I guess I understand it to an extent. You don’t want just anyone flicking a wand around. Might as well reserve it for the upper class.”

“Do you really believe that?”

“No,” Erik admitted. “It’s just something I tell myself so I feel better. Not that it works.”

“How does it make you feel? Angry?”

“No. Just… disappointed. I guess.”

“Let’s use it, then,” she said, standing up and picking up her want again.

“What?” Erik frowned. “I thought we were having a tea break.”

“You’re feeling a very strong emotion right now,” she said. “We have to use it. It’s a perfect time to try blocking.”

“I don’t think so,” Erik said warily. “We’re jumping from first to fifth year.”

“I don’t have twelve years to teach you everything,” she said, rolling her eyes. Things are going to move pretty fast. Come on, stand up.”

Erik reluctantly stood up to face her. She demonstrated the rune in the air, and he followed her wand as she did so. They only went over it once before she backed up a couple steps.

“Hold on, aren’t we going to practice it again?” Erik said.

“Nope. Think fast.”

A flash came from her wand and Erik went flying back, hitting the wall behind him. He slid to the floor with a gasp.

“I wasn’t ready,” he wheezed.

“Get ready then.”

He stood up again and this time stood at the ready, but wasn’t able to trace the tune quick enough before Serena sent him sprawling again.

“I told you, your lines lack confidence,” she reminded him.

“You didn’t give me time for confidence.”

She grinned smugly as he stood up and braced himself a third time. This time, he quickly traced the tune and managed to redirect the flash to the side, instead shattering a vase sitting on the counter. He stared at it in awe that he was able to do the spell, and Serena squealed in delight.

“See?” she grinned. “Just confidence.”

“And slamming me into the wall,” Erik pointed out.

“I’m sorry,” she said with a light laugh. “It worked though, didn’t it?”

“It did.”

“It would take more than that to hurt you anyways,” she said. “You’re pretty broad and strong.”

“Huh?”

She turned a bit pink and looked away from him.

“Nothing, never mind.”

They both jumped in surprise when a broom hit the ceiling of the apartment below them, making the floor thud. The muffled voice of Erik’s angry downstairs neighbor came through the floorboards.

“Will you knock it off? Some of us are trying to relax in our own home!”

Erik grimaced and pocketed his wand again.

“That’s probably enough for today,” Serena said. “You did well.”

“Thanks,” Erik said. “I can walk you home again.”

“Thank you,” she said with a smile. “Though, I’m not sure I actually want to go home yet. I was going to make a quick stop first and I was hoping you would come with me.”

“Oh? What kind of stop?”

“That old building from last night,” she said. “Where that creature came from.”

“What?!” Erik said, startled. “Why there? It’s a safety hazard, even without creepy beasts roaming around.”

“I just want to see,” she said. “And you seem to know more about the building than I do. I can go alone if you don’t want to come. It’s fine.”

Erik let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes. There was no way he could let her go alone in good conscience.

“Fine. But if I lose my head, it’s your fault.”