Status: Trigger warning | Not safe for arachnophobia | Needs a minor amount of editing

There and Back Again

The Life of the Prey

Myrtle tossed and turned in her bed, a cold sweat slipping down her neck, sliding down her arms, and rolling along her legs. Chest rising and falling rapidly as she could not seem to catch her breath. A void dream with the sound of skittering little legs. Her fingers clawed at the bed sheets as they clawed at the dirt walls in the darkness, silent screams echoing in her head as tiny stings left her limbs tingling with pain.

"I took you so that they might not," A lithe voice echoed in the quiet spaces of her mind.

Limbs that once stung now felt numb, a throat sore from crying at the top of her lungs fell still. Myrtle found herself looking up into unapologetic eyes that went on like oceans. She felt smaller than she ever had and as he closed his eyes, her eyes opened.

Myrtle awoke with a start, eyes wide open but unable to move no matter how hard she willed her body. "don't scream, just wait for it to pass.... it's too early to wake dad up." She thought. Talking herself down within the confines of her head, Myrle continued to will her limbs to move and soon, she was able to sit up.

With a sigh of relief, Myrtle brushed her air away from her face, her eyes going to a tank near the window in which a tarantula scuttled peacefully. "Good morning Shelob," Myrtle called, getting to her feet, her legs still ached from the night before, a grim reminder that sent a shudder down her back. It nearly brought tears to her eyes, leaning on Shelob's tank Myrtle choked back tears, pulling open her drawer she plucked out an old-fashioned soft blue dress and her underwear.

Retreating to the bathroom, Myrtle got ready for the day.

Casting one last glance back at her home, she could see her father looming in the master bedroom window. She forced on a smile and headed toward her black 1979 Chevrolet Chevette, waiting there in for Patrick.

In the rearview mirror, Myrtle checked her face, the cold water had taken the puffiness away from her eyes. "Morning Pat." Myrtle called as her brother climbed into the car. But he said nothing in return, his whole body facing the window and he rested his head in his hand looking out. "just come on before we're late I said I'd meet Jason early for practice." Patrick grumbled.

Myrtle sighed and started the car.

『*』 『*』 『*』


At school, Patrick was quick to flee off to his friends, Myrtle swung her backpack over one shoulder and looked around the packed parking lot. Her heart thumping heavily in her chest, eyes scanning the many faces, it was all becoming overwhelming. "hey," A grounding voice called behind her as Robin slipped her hand onto Myrtle's shoulder. "it's the same thing every day, yeah? just breathe." said Robin with a smile.

Myrtle gave and nod, "come on, I have got to tell you the amazing movie I saw just last night!" Robin cheered, taking Myrtle by the hand and leading her into the school. "Movie?" Myrtle questioned. "Yes!" Robin cheered.

"And so then It took me ages to figure out what happened at the end but I was still in tears and it was just amazing you know!" Robin rambled on as the two girls cruised the hall. "huh yeah..." Myrtle murmured, nearly walking under Robin while avoiding stepping too close to others.

From the corner of her eye, she could spot Hawkin's high most famous couple, Steve Harrington and Nancy Wheeler. Myrtle could hardly take her eyes off of them. She's had a crush on Steve for well over three years now. It was a shallow pool that glistened on the surface, but that was it. Myrtle was in love with the idea of love, always had been and nothing ever looked better than the way Steve was capable of looking at the girls he dated.

But more recently? The way he looked at the Wheeler girl, and the way she gazed right back. Myrtle's chest would ache, not because she wanted Steve specifically, but because she wanted what they had.

"oh..." Robin breathed, watching her friend watch the couple, "Um...um, Hey!" Robin called frantically, "what do you say we go get like some snacks and chill at our spot? You can help me practice for my solo in band." Robin offered.

Myrtle pried her eyes away from the fawning couple and offered a small smile to Robin, Who's eyes fluttered as she inwardly melted. "sounds good." said Myrtle.

"Hey there Buckely, McKinney - Performance at the Hideout," Jeff sang, passing out flyers in the hall. "yeah, whatever," Robin spoke quickly brushing him off as if he hadn't been there at all. Myrtle quietly took the flyer and gave him a nod.

He knew by now, that Myrtle McKinney never showed up to anything other than her brother's games. But he still extending the invite, Eddie would have, It was a well-known fact that the McKinney siblings were like night and day.

"wait are you seriously going to go?" Robin asked Myrtle who shrugged in reply. "probably not." she said quietly. "well I think you should, you can tell your dad that...you're staying at my place. we'll go together and you can spend the night. It'll be fun." said Robin, Myrtle looked down at her feet and shook her head.

"Dad doesn't allow sleepovers anymore," said Myrtle. "that's bullshit, Patrick just spent two whole nights last week with Jason and the team." Robin raged. "that's different." was all Myrtle could say. Robin exhaled in defeat and shook her head. "I know, he's your dad and I know they took you in but I hate him and he is an awful person." Robin seethed.

Myrtle looked up to Robin and smiled, laughing slightly, "thanks Robin." she said. "yeah." Robin sighed, "but don't thank me, it's not like I can help you." she murmured. "More than you think, really," said Myrtle before the two parted to head to their separate classes.

『*』 『*』 『*』


"and after she totally drug my flute skills through the mud, I had this great comeback in mind but miss Wiggins started giving us a lecture about how the need to stay coordinated, and I have no coordination, let alone when I am seething because I can out flute Sherry in circles twice on a frozen river and she's talking about my flute skills?" Robin ranted.

Myrtle sat at a small table in the woods near the school, watching Robin rant with a small smile on her face. "You let Sherry the mouth get to you?" Myrtle asked. Robin shrugged, "it's that voice...you know better but it still gets under your skin." Robin confessed.

"so, flute solo?" Myrtle asked. Robin blinked a few times towards Myrtle, "huh...oh!" Robin gasped, trying to open her flute chase in a fluster. "Yeah, sorry totally forgot, my bad...heh and it was my idea." Robin said bonking her palm against her forehead, "earth to Buckley" Robin whispered.

Myrtle giggled, "It's fine Robin." She said.

Robin pulled out her flute and put it to her mouth, "it's a classical solo, so...." Robin said teetering her head, "I figure maybe you'd like to practice, you Ballet? I mean....I heard last Spring's the Swan Princess camp was pretty brutal." Robin said.

Myrtle side glanced, she'd almost forgotten she had told Robin she'd gone to Ballet Camp. "y-yeah....they worked us into the ground." Myrtle stammered. "I should say so, you had bruises all over your back for a whole week after." Robin said. "I thought you were great those leaps and...shots...and things..." Robin added.

"Saut De Chat, and apparently not." Myrtle sighed, she felt sick inside lying to Robin again. "sooo, will you dance?" Robin asked hopefully. Myrtle gave a nod, and started to remove her shoes, "yay!" Robin cheered getting ready to play her flute.

"I told you man, I don't do refunds, you asked for Heavy Nova, I warned you that stuff was known to put you to sleep, man. It isn't my fault you crashed during your interview." Eddie sighed dryly leading fellow classmate and customer, Paul Elwood of the football team. "that's bullshit Munson!" Paul shouted.

Eddie turned on his heel, walking backward he held out his arms and shrugged, "You had fair warning, look I can offer you a four percent discount if you want to buy something else. and this time, you might want to go with the Crystal Mother." Eddie said.

Stopping in his tracks Eddie reached into his leather jacket and pulled out a bag of dark green bundles. "won't get a better deal." Eddie said. Paul rolled his eyes, and reached into the back pocket of his jeans, pulling out a small bundle of money, separating it, and passing Eddie the payment.

Eddie, let Paul take the bag from his hands, "thank you, you won't be sorry this time." He said with a small bow. "weirdo.." Paul muttered stalking off in the opposite direction. "yeah, but I'm a paid weirdo and you're out seventy bucks." Eddie murmured.

Putting his money safely in his pocket, the sound of a flute reached his ears. "Someone is at my sales table?" Eddie thought following the sound.

Myrtle closed her eyes as she fell into a seemingly endless pirouette, "whoa h-hey chill a bit you're making me dizzy." Robin whimpered pausing in her playing. Myrtle came to a stop and gave her an apologetic smile. "sorry, its a good way to think, or you know not to think..I kinda got lost somewhere in my head, zoning out." Myrtle said quietly.

Robin gave a wave of her hand, "I do that all the time, but I don't have to be spinning." She chuckled. Myrtle gave a giggle as Robin picked back up her flute, "but keep going, it's like a free concert at the theatre or something." Robin urged. Myrtle gave a nod and continued. "I wish I was half as good." she sighed.

"You will be, you are - I don't know anyone else around town who can do what you do." Robin paused to say.

Eddie leaned from around a tree, peering through to the table in the clearing, he watched the two friends carry on and found he couldn't take his eyes off of the twirling figure. "that's unreal." He thought, watching her steps which almost seemed inhuman. Further and further Eddie leaned out from behind the tree following Her steps with his eyes and his body wanting to follow.

Myrtle spun, briefly catching a pair of deep brown eyes staring back at her from the Trees. Startled she fell back landing in the dirt. "oh! are you ok!" called Robin, dropping her Flute onto the table she hopped up clumsily to help Myrtle.

Eddie quickly hid back behind the tree, his back pressed to its trunk, "why are you hiding?" He asked himself. Maybe it was how frightened those silvery eyes had seemed. Myrtle McKinney, a name known around the whole school, as the most skittish person anyone had ever met.

"I thought...I saw someone, someone was watching us." Myrtle stammered shaken, getting to her feet she quietly stood behind Robin.

Glancing around Robin could see nothing but a quiet forest, "well I don't see anyone, it was probably just someone taking a shortcut back home." Robin reasoned. She offered Myrtle a reassuring smile.

However, Myrtle's eyes were glued to the spot she could have sworn she saw the eyes.

Robin sighed, "Hey! anyone out there!" Robin called stepping forward. "let's just go." Myrtle said quickly, gathering her backpack. "I need to hurry back home anyway. It's already too late." she added with rushed words. "alright, can I pick a tape for the car?" Robin asked following Myrtle back to the school parking lot.

Eddie listened keenly and once the girls had fallen silent he exhaled. Stepping out he looked in the direction they'd left, vaguely he could see their figures in the distance. "Eddie Munson, you were not meant to see that, and boy are you doomed." He spoke quietly into his fist, covering his mouth.

『*』 『*』 『*』


"Hello! Eddie! dudes gone off to lala land..." Scott said from around the game table. "Can't we just dump water on him?" Jeff asked, "No! you'll ruin the DM screen!" Gareth called out. "Eddie!" the three of the shouted. Eddie jolted out of his daze, "my ears work!" Eddie gasped, "or at least they used to!" he shouted back at his friends, "what gives?" He asked.

"You were lost in some other realm dude." Gareth explained.

"I have seen the daughter of the starry twilight in the woods of Neldoreth," Eddie murmured. "what?" Jeff asked looking towards Gareth who simply shrugged. "did you smoke some of that shit, man?" Gareth asked. Eddie shot him a look "No, I don't touch the merchandise, rule number one!" Eddie shouted.

Scott however leaned in, "man no way!" he gasped. "In the woods?" asked Scott. "In the woods," Eddie repeated, he covered his mouth with his hands, "she was even in blue," Eddie said.

Scott's hand slammed down on the table, "shut up! Blue?" he asked. Eddie nodded slowly with wide eyes. "was there anyone else there? Anyone else who saw?" Scott asked carefully. "just Buckley but they were together." Eddie answered.

Jeff and Gareth watched the two in confusion.

"But did she see you?" Scott asked. Eddie sat up and paused, "I think so....not well, she just knew someone had been out there." He said. Scott raised a brow, "So not true identification of your presence?" Scott asked. Eddie started to sulk, "no..."

"well, next time you gotta be seen if there even is a next time," Scott said.

"Are you two going to keep talking like girls or are we going to play?" Jeff asked. Eddie and Scott turned to him. Eddie pointed and turned his hand around, dropping the dice onto the table, "Let hope you are ready, we left off in a heated battle against the twin earth elementals, you mage's flesh golem was slain, crushed to paste after your last roll, and you are down to two fighters." Eddie recapped.

The boys started to sweat. "almost forgot about poor bob." Scott said shaking his head. "who names a flesh golem bob in the first place..." muttered Gareth.

Myrtle sat in her car her eyes glued to the front door of her house, "dads care isn't in the driveway." Myrtle exhaled in relief. "maybe mom won't notice me come in if I'm quiet..." Myrtle turned her body to look out the rear window as she threw the car in reverse. "If I park up the block and walk...." she planned.

After parking a block away Myrtle quietly entered her house, a few lights were on and as she went to head up the stairs to her bedroom she found a note on the wall.

Looking about cautiously she plucked the sticky note away "went to dinner, don't stay up late. Pat at Jason's" read her mother's elegant handwriting. Myrtle's eyes nearly welled with tears as her whole body sighed in relief.

Looking around her she smiled faintly, "I've got the house to myself?" she wondered, her eyes going back to the bottom of the note "home around 11: 30"

"what do you think?" Myrtle asked Shelob while dropping her live prey into the tank, "do you think I can get away with spending some time downstairs for a bit?" she asked the spider. Shelob paused in stalking her prey and turned her body towards Myrtle. "I can't do much harm, other than make mom mad." Myrtle sighed. "all she does is shout." she said wandering away from the tank to her bed, changing into her pajamas.

"I think Robin and I were being watched today....It's probably nothing but with everything, that's happened these last two years." Myrtle murmured. "or Dad might have sent someone to spy on me." Myrtle thought, a shiver rolled down her spine. Ever since he'd taken over as CFO of the Power Plant, the stress levels in the home had skyrocketed, he'd become more than just mean, more than just hurtful and it had been going on for a year.

Myrtle hugged herself, "we just capital that will get him in good with the higher-ups. a perfect family...and," turning around Myrtle looked at the Mirror she had taped off with notebook paper. "bargaining chips." she murmured.

Suddenly feeling more tired than she'd ever been, Myrtle climbed into bed, and night to use the house in any manner she wished was a rare treat, but nothing sounded more tempting than to sleep for a few hours in peace.

No shouting, no tears, no pain, no fear. Just herself and Shelob in the quiet deceiving house with the perfect lawn and apple tree at the end of the street. Even if it meant facing the nightmares that had only been growing in frequency, "I feel I know the demons in my dreams and they can't hurt me like the waking ones can." Myrtle thought, snuggling into bedding that somehow felt cold and closing her heavy eyelids. "two more years." She murmured a thought that kept her moving most days.

"and I'm already halfway there."

However, those precious few hours did not last long, flying by as time usually does. the door to Myrtle's room cracked open, the hinges well maintained it did not so much as peep. A hand gently shook her awake, a touch that made Myrtle cringe.

Turning over in the bed, she looked into the dead eye of her father as he gave her an overly pleasant smile. Myrtle fought off the urge to wretch and carefully sat up in bed. "yes sir?" she asked, voice void of emotion but kept sweet as to remain 'polite'.

Her father pet the top of her head once before holding up a brilliant red dress, "I have a gift for you." He sang. Myrtle's stomach filled with rocks and her limbs felt cold. It was short and full of ruffles, something He'd never let her wear on her own. "I-it's...." Myrtle tried to bite back her fear as taking too long to answer was never ok, "Lovely, sir." she said quietly, forcing the smile onto her face as he reached out to feel the ruffles between her fingers.

"It's for the dinner you will be attending for me, with the new COO of the Loxion Corporation, Jeremy Ford. It's very important, He and his wife have been trying for a litter girl of their own for years." He said.

Myrtle's eyes fluttered, "o-okay...wh-what time?" She whispered. "five pm, you are to drive to their house, I'll leave the address and directions in your backpack tomorrow morning." He said. Myrtle licked her lips as they ran dry from anxiety, "it's not a restaurant?" she asked quietly.

Her father's eyes hardened as he took a single step back, "No, but it is very kind of Miss Ford to cook a home meal considering I cannot attend myself." He said voice strained and stern. "It's not completely business, it's a gage of....character. " He lectured. "right, a man with well-behaved children must have the skill it takes to run a company just as well as a wild teen." Myrtle droned, it was the same thing every time.

"I'll be good." she said, the faint quiver in her voice unheard as her father hung the dress up on her bookshelf and left the room.

Myrtle listened to his footsteps vanished down the hall until she could hear them no more, instead replaced with the sound of muffled bickering from the master bedroom. Myrtle drew her knees to her chest, hiding her face in them, and bitting her wrist she muffled her crying.

Above her lowering slowly from a single strand of web came a spider. Its spindly legs reached down towards Myrtle as she perched herself on her free hand. Myrtle lifted her head and looked at the tiny creature facing her and was unafraid. A bite would be the least of her worries, instead "Thank you." she said for the creature's comfort, sniffling the tears away and gently running her finger over it.