Status: Trigger warning | Not safe for arachnophobia | Needs a minor amount of editing

There and Back Again

A Dollar Fifty

Soft knocks shook the bathroom door, causing Myrtle to jump, "Sorry! it's just me....um I've got a box of stuff, alcohol wipes, bandaids, I dunno, cotton and shit. Might be helpful." Eddie said, looking up at the door. He waited for a response but Myrtle remained quiet.

She herself watched the door with caution, a damp wad of tissue turned a soft pink in one hand. "um...I'm just gonna leave it at the door, and I'll be....up front of you need anything." Eddie offered.

Myrtle could hear items rattle just outside, throwing the tissue into the toilet and flushing, she crept to the door. Opening it slightly, she pulled the box inside before closing the door.

Hearing the toilet flush several times, Eddie turned on his stereo fairly loud before taking a seat on the sofa. "this shit is fricking insane," he thought pressing his knuckles to his mouth. If there had been a time when he needed his Uncle to return home early it was now. Bouncing one leg up and down nervously, Eddie sighed.

"You don't end up like that some simple nodding off and rolling off the road." Eddie thought recalling the welts on her arms and exposed across her chest where the dress look to have been ripped open. Eddie gave his head a hard shake, hoping to knock the image of little rivers of blood trickling down the girl's legs, and the discoloration that was forming.

Hearing the door open, Eddie glanced up, "you ok?" He asked cautiously.

Myrtle stood in the hall before the bathroom door, she didn't know how to answer as he watched her as if she would collapse at any given moment. Chewing her lip Myrtle side glanced, a box of medical aid in hand. "um...I-I'm ok." she said quietly,

Pushing off the sofa Eddie headed towards her and Myrtle was quick to take a few steps back.

With a tilt of his head Eddie look down at her trembling arms. "ok, you ok" He said softly, holding a hand out in front of himself as if calming a frightened stray. "I'm just gonna get the box." He said, taking timid timed steps towards Myrtle. "You look like you really went through it, would you like some water before I take you to that payphone?" He asked.

Myrtle watched Eddie's Chameleon-like steps and relaxed slightly, under different circumstances she might have laughed, but rather all she could think was, "I must look a terrified mess" and her mind answered, "you are."

"or you can use the phone here to call-"

"No!" Myrtle said quickly. Eddie held his hands up and stopped walking. his tongue stuck out from his lips a bit as he side glanced, "that isn't good is it?" He thought. "Ok, we'll go to the payphone" he reassured, slowly taking the box from Myrtle's hands.

As his fingertips lightly grazed over her own, Myrtle felt the first bit of warmth she'd felt all night, for a fleeting second. "I'm going to put this back," Eddie said, he waited for an answer and received a small nod before heading back into the kitchen. "so water?" He asked reaching up towards the cabinet containing glasses.

"Please." said Myrtle. "coming, right up." Eddie sang slightly under his breath, opening the freezer and cracking three ice cubes free from the tray. Myrtle watched him intently as he filled the glass with Ice and turned on the faucet. She gave her dry lips a lick as her throat suddenly felt awfully dry and burned slightly. The kind of feeling one gets when you've run until your lungs are caving in .

"Here you go," Eddie said. Turning to Myrtle he handed her the cool glass of water.

Myrtle held it up to the light and examined it causing Eddie to arch a brow. "heh, I know most people don't have nice things to say about me but...." Eddie murmured, suddenly feeling awkward as he twirled his hair around his finger. "I'd like to think I wouldn't lace an injured girl's water." He said.

Myrtle startled, lowered her glass, "I-I'm sorry it's just a habit....really." she said quickly. "I just...." Myrtle stopped herself. "I can't explain to him why." she thought. quietly taking a sip. She could feel him looking at her awaiting the full explanation. Myrtle quickly downed the water, and passed back the glass.

"thank you." she murmured. "anytime? though hopefully not like this again." Eddie sighed, "you ready?" he asked gathering up his car keys. Myrtle gave a feeble nod and went to take off Eddie's jacket. "you can keep that until we get you to a phone, or longer. you can just give it back to me at school." Eddie said holding the door open.

Myrtle rezipped the jacket and stepped outside, she watched Eddie close and locked up his house before heading for his van. "Do you always help random strangers?" Myrle asked while Eddie helped open the passenger side door. He shrugged "not always, most people are terrible so no." He said.

"And I'm not terrible?" Myrtle asked. Eddie closed the door for her once she had taken her seat, "Not when you come out of the woods looking like road pizza warmed over." Eddie hummed walking around the car and getting in himself.

Myrtle sat looking at her hands while Eddie was driving, the roads this late in the night were virtually void of life and Hawkins felt like another world. "so...was that you out in the woods the other day?" Myrtle's mind kept asking over and over, but she could not seem to get the words to come out of her mouth.

"So um....I saw you in the woods with Buckley the other day." Eddie said.

Myrtle's head snapped up and she turned to look at him, wide-eyed.

"I think I spooked you so I did the less sensible thing to do, and hid." Eddie said playfully, carefully gauging Myrtle's reaction. "I would have never thought the sister of laundry ball jock, Patrick McKinney could-"

"hand out with someone like Robin?" Myrtle shot sharply.

"no" Eddie breathed glancing her way, "well a little bit, not what I was going to say." He said.

"oh...sorry" Myrtle murmured looking back down at her hands. her mind screaming at her as she sank into her own embarrassment. "I can't keep offending this guy." she thought.

"I mean that Pat's sister could dance like that. it's like you were the girl version of Mister Fantastic." Eddie said animatedly. Had Myrtle not been exhausted it would have been hilarious the expression on his face.

"t-the...comic book character?" she asked him. "You know him?" Eddie asked. Myrtle sucked in her lips, She knew Patrick wouldn't be happy about it. But something about Eddie made her want to talk. A feeling she hadn't felt in a long time. "No, but..." Myrtle paused her words stuck again in her head, "My brother used to have the fantastic four comic books" her mind said.

Eddie glanced at her once more and raised a brow, waiting patiently. "um....my brother used to love the fantasy four comics." the words finally tumbled out in an uneasy stumble. "No way, McKinney." Eddie sang. Getting words from this girl was like pulling teeth, but he could hear an underlying relief her in tone the moment she finally spoke, and that made him want to keep plucking away.

"hard to believe I know." Myrtle sighed. Eddie could hear a sadness falling back into her words. "You two close?" He asked, "Not anymore." She answered. "thank you for helping me." Myrtle said, seeing the payphone come into view as they neared the grocery store parking lot. "No problem, but you should be more careful, don't party so hard you nod off behind the wheel." Eddie joked.

Mrytle flashed him a struggling smile, "ah," Eddie hummed digging around in the middle portion of his van. Myrtle could hear change clinking around. Eddie held out two quarters towards her, "here, on me." He said with a smile. "I can't," Myrle said quickly. Eddie shrugged, "it's fifty cents and no offense but you don't have a purse or pockets." Eddie said with a sheepish smile as Myrtle checked over herself.

"oh....right." she breathed. "come on, a quarter for the call and one in case like most sane people, your dad sleeping by now," said Eddie. Myrtle took the change and hopped out of the car, Eddie rolled down his window and glanced around them watchfully. "I'll stay until you say someone is coming for you." He called to her.

Myrtle gave a nod and entered the phonebooth, slipping a quarter in she picked up and dialed. Her nerves stood on edge while she awaited an answer. "Hello this is the household of Gregory McKinney, We are sorry to have missed your call, but if you would leave your name and number, we will get back to you at our earliest convenience. Have a blessed day." the overly pleasant tone of her mather's office voice chimed before the deep.

"um...Sir, something happened. I'm at the payphone near the market. I need someone to get me. please. I'm- I'm sorry. I'll be calling back." Myrtle spoke quietly into the phone before hanging up. She looked down at the second quarter, it might not be wise to use it directly after not getting an answer. Myrtle looked towards Eddie and the van. "it is late, I can't keep him out here - he's got school tomorrow just as much as I do." she thought to herself, turning to the phone and trying again.

This time someone picked up, yet without so much as a hello they hung up loudly. Myrtle's mouth tumbled open as she drew the phone away from her ear. "what?" she asked. "do they know what happened?" her mind panicked, "and do they blame me for it? I'm just as clueless as they are..." she thought.

There was a light knock on the glass of the booth, Myrle jumped and hung up the phone, whirling around to see Eddie waving as he opened the door. "Any luck? I've got a few more quaters." He offered.

Myrtle bit her lip and gave him a guilty glance, "I'm sorry they aren't picking up right now." she said. "I don't want to hold you up, you can head on back home. I'm fine." She said quickly. Eddie laughed, "if you think this is late for me, you're adorable." He snickered. leaning his back against the booth.

With his arms folded across his chest, Eddie looked to the sky. "I don't get to sleep until around five am on Tuesdays after we play a set, granted, I don't exactly make it to school on time." He chuckled almost fondly. "you say out until five?" Myrtle asked with wide eyes. Eddie laughed, "you've never done it?" he asked.

"no, my dad would probably murder me." Myrtle murmured and while Eddie laughed, she wished she was more than halfway kidding. "aw come on TinĂºviel, you're the daughter of the twilight, you're made for the night." He said with a cheeky smile.

Myrtle's mouth tumbled open and Eddie's face paled as he stood up straight. "oh shit" he cursed covering his mouth, "you don't ?" He asked muffled behind his hands, but Myrtle's scarlet cheeks under the streetlight answered any question he had.

"I wouldn't have...said anything if you had. I, well....shit." Eddie rambled. "R-robin Buckley bought it for me because I...I like the Hobbit cartoon." Myrtle stammered. Timidly glancing up at Eddie. "Y-you think I remind you of...." she couldn't finish her question.

Eddie shrugged almost bashfully and cleared his throat, "ah, you gonna try to call again, or do you want me to just give you a lift back home?" He asked. "Oh...I can try again..." Myrtle said, turning to the phone. Eddie reached into his pocket, pulling a quarter out of his pocket he entered the booth and dropped it into the phone for her while Myrtle dialed.

________________________________________________________


After three more failed attempts Myrtle hung up the payphone and exhaled, "I am in so much trouble." she thought quickly becoming fidgety. "boy and I thought my old man was king of the assholes." Eddie murmured. Myrtle watched her feet, "I'll take you home," Eddie said.

"I don't think that a good idea," Myrtle murmured. Eddie lowered his head to her eyes level and grinned wide. "what's why it's a great idea, no more than he deserves right?" Eddie sang heading toward his van. "Had he been concerned, and didn't want the lady of the forest returning with someone like Me, not that he knows who Me is." Eddie went on with his great playful speech, "He would have picked up the phone when it's the middle of the night and his little girl is out of the house." Eddie said.

Turning to Myrtle who very slowly followed behind him he dipped a brow at her, "Your dad does know you left the house right?" He asked.

Myrtle nodded and quietly walked around the Van to climb in.

"You can just drop me off down the street when we get close," she said. Eddie could hear her voice tremble. "If you're going to be in that much trouble, look I'm pretty used to getting blamed for shit if you need a scapegoat." He offered his eyes to the road.

With eyes, slightly narrowed Myrtle watched Eddie carefully. "You know, your not anything like people say around school." she said. "he's less scary than my folks and their friends." Myrtle thought. "I'm more of a lizard than a dragon," He said. "You can laugh at live lizards" He chuckled. Myrtle cracked a smile, struggling with the thought in her head that she would like to tell him she found him very nice. But again the words would not leave the cage in her head.

Eddie carried the conversation on the way to bring her home, but Myrtle quickly noticed he was making a game out of drawing her out to talk or answer him. Before either of them realized, they'd hit Myrtle's block and Eddie pulled his van to a stop.

His eye stuck to the street ahead of them as where Myrtle's, she could spot her house at the end of the block, and as her mood changed, it seemed the air around them fell heavier. "are you sure, you're ok?" Eddie asked, Myrtle gave a nod and exhaled unsteadily as she unbuckled her seatbelt and climbed out of the car. Her feet hitting the sidewalk made her legs feel weaker than they had at the payphone.

Eddie could see Myrtle's hands slightly tremble in the dark. "I'll see you tomorrow at school?" Eddie asked, he didn't know why it was well known that the McKinneys never skipped school. "y-yeah, thank you again, Eddie." she called out, unzipping his jacket she laid it in the seat of his car and closed the door behind her. "don't mention it, you be more careful out there." He said, watching her walk up the block.

He wouldn't move until he saw her go through the front door and she was taking her time getting there. A disquiet settle in his core as he watched her, and the closer she got to the front door the worse it became. Eddie found himself leaning forward against the steering wheel to get a bitter look as she walked up to her door.

The front door swung open startling Myrtle and before Eddie could blink, someone snatched her inside by the arm. Eddie continued to watch the door as if something more was going to happen after it closed. But the block linger in silence and his jaw ached from being clenched shut.

"it's probably just a real pissed parent." He muttered to himself, "or her brother, it's late." Eddie said starting the car. "Uncle Wayne works with McKinney around the plant...maybe I can ask him what kind of dude he is?" Eddie thought, backing away and heading back home.

Inside the McKinney home, Myrtle sat in the middle of the sofa before the scowls of her parents. "what happened." Her father seethed quietly. "I don't know, I was doing what I was told, there was another girl there and...after I drank the wine I...faded out." Myrtle spoke quietly. "I don't believe her, there's no way one girl overpowered Jeremy." Her mother said. "He played college ball for two years." She added.

Myrtle out the corner of her eye could see her Brother exiting the kitchen and up the stairwell, an icepack held to his shoulder. She grimaced, he must have taken their father's ire again. She exhaled and returned her gaze to her parents.

"I don't know what she did or how she did it. I heard him scream when I fled. I-I didn't know what she was capable of so while she was busy...I got out." said Myrtle, the lie coming far easier than she thought it would have. Still, she couldn't picture Amy's face.

"I left before she could call the cops or the Ford could call, that way no one could ask me questions," Myrtle said quietly. "they would have wanted to know what I was doing there, no answer anyone could give would have seemed good, I mean...look at me." Myrtle spoke softly gesturing to her dress.

Her mother's scowl grew "watch your tone, you might have jeopardized your father deal!" she barked. Myrtle shrunk back, "I didn't mean to," she said quietly. "I thought it was the best thing to do. next time...if there is a next time I'll just stay and answer questions," she murmured. "If you want to be snarky, go to your room!" her mother shouted.

Myrtle sighed inwardly, "gladly." she thought wincing as she pushed her body off the couch and walked towards the stairs. As the night went on new things hurt within her body and walking didn't get any easier. With the door closed behind her, Myrtle just couldn't get out of that awful dress fast enough. nearly tearing it from her body as tears fell, "I hate the color red." she screamed in her mind.

Shelob sat near the glass of her tank, watching her human with her many eyes. "another night survived Shelly....and this one wasn't anything like the others." Myrtle spoke below a whisper, walking to her pet. "I think I met a friend." she said, and thinking back on it all, myrtle tilted her head, "actually....I think I made two."

________________________________________________________


Myrtle arrived at school early, her father had retrieved her car from the Ford's neighborhood sometime that morning. Watching the students slowly file in in droves, Myrtle could hardly keep her eyes open. With the same nightmares of the spider pit and the events of the night before, what little sleep she had gotten was miserable. Even the two hour long shower had done little to soothe her body.

"speaking of miserable," she said in a sigh, It was nearing summer and here she was, clad in a long sleeve shirt and pants. "I always wear dresses..." Myrtle murmured. "hopefully Robin won't think too much of it. people change their style all the time. You tell her your experimenting if she asks." She thought to herself getting out of the car.

Walking was still painful, but there was little option than to try and walk as normally as possible. "what'd they do to me last night?" Myrtle asked herself.

"hey you ok, you look a bit like a zombie?" asked Robin.

"fine, just a long night, and I ate too much, had nightmares, and rolled out of the bed." Myrtle said quickly. Robin laughed, "oh no! I thought I was the only one that happened to." she said, "was it red sauce...red sauce always get me, and candy." said Robin.

Myrtle nodded, "yep...yep it was hte pasta sauce." she said. desperately trying to change the subject. "Did you hear that someone robbed the Fords?" asked Robin. Myrtle sucked in her lips nerviously, "n-no, robbed?" Myrtle asked. "well, not really they didn't get away with anything but they bashed them up pretty good. I don't know what happening to Hawkin's anymore."

Myrtle shook her head, "who knows, maybe Hawkins hasn't changed, maybe its colors are just rising to the surface." she said. "that...that got dark." Robin peeped. "I spent all night watching horror movies, I can take that right now." she added.

"sorry" Myrtle said.

Further up the hall, a group of the usual misfits gathered around Eddie's locker. "what kind of luck do you even have?" Scott asked him. "I wouldn't call it lucky, she was in...bad shape," said Eddie. "a crash is never nice no matter how slow it was." Jeff reasoned. "I guess. something felt off." said Eddie.

"I was going to ask my Uncle about her family, He and her father have been working at that eerie plant for the same amount of time." He added. Gareth frowned, "I've got gym with Carver's airhead lacky Chance. I hear Mr.McKinney's super strict." Garth spoke lowly. "that ain't good my friends. She didn't get home til around one or so." Eddie said.

Gareth winced, "well...Dads favor the daughter right? I'm sure she got off easier than Patrick would have." he reasoned.

Eddie shrugged, "hell if I know, family dynamics are beyond me." He muttered. "She's cool people, I'd hate to see her trouble for something that isn't her fault," he added.

Myrtle found herself wandering the halls alone, heading back to her locker before lunch to drop off some books. Lost in her thoughts about the night before she had little time to react as a girls shoulder smacked into her own. The impact nearly spun Myrtle around causing her arm and spine to protest as she stumbled dropping her books and papers.

"Hey watch where you're going clutzy-McGee!" the girl called. stopping to laugh. Myrtle gritted her teeth and silently started to gather her papers. Unfortunately one happened to be under the girl's feet. "um...would you mind moving your foot please?" Myrtle asked quietly. The girl held a hand to her ear "I'm sorry what?" she asked cheekily. "I just need you to move your foot," said Myrtle.

With a smirk, the girl slid her food onto the paper more turning her foot from side to side rubbing the paper into the floor. Myrtle exhaled and waited patiently hoping that she would get bored and eventually continue up the hall.

"Honestly how is this rag even related to Patrick." giggled another girl. Myrtle frowned, "She's not, she's adopted." Patrick's voice echoed as he strolled by with Chance. "Hi, Chance, Patrick." he girl greeted with overly sweet voices. Myrtle rolled her eyes and tried to pull the paper out from under the girl, only to have her shift more weight onto it.

"Can't you just step off to the side?" Myrtle asked bitterly, her eyes narrowing slightly. The sunlight pouring into the hall from the large windowed exits clouding over little by little. "Oh look the mouse has a spine." the girl chuckled, stamping the paper even more. Myrtle yelped as the paper ripped. "what the hell!" Myrtle shouted, "oop." the girl said dryly.

"Hey cut it out!" Myrtle heard someone shout, the sound of little quick steps heading their way. "Leave her alone Chelsea," Nancy said with a stern glare, Steve following closely behind her. "What's going on here?" He asked casually.

Myrtle's heart traced, "oh come on." she groaned inwardly, "Chelsea is being a jerk, big surprise." Nancy snapped. "r-really I'm fine." Myrtle murmured softly. Steve looked down at the ripped paper and books lying about the floor. "I was just helping her, she fell down. Clumsy little thing." Chelsea said, she flashed big green eyes and batted her eyelashes at Steve.

"get real, I know how you are Tommy used to date you." Steve scowled. "get off her paper." He ordered. Chelsea rolled her eyes, "and help her pick up her things." He added. But Chelsea scoffed "as if, late much - loser." she called down to Myrtle.

"that girl is like catching athlete's foot," Steve murmured before helping Nancy pick up Myrtle's books. "Thank you both," Myrtle said softly. "No problem, she really shouldn't have done all that," Nancy said with an apologetic smile.

"Really, hey, aren't you Patrick's older sister?" Steve asked. "uh...yeah." Myrtle murmured. "didn't he just pass?" Nancy asked looking up the hall. Myrtle side glanced uncomfortably and got back to her feet, again her body protested. Swaying a little as her legs felt weak, "are you feeling ok? you don't look so good?" Nancy asked with concern.

"I'm ok, just a little under the weather," Myrtle answered quickly. The couple passed back Myrtle's books, "alright, well see you and hope you feel better!" Nancy called following Steve towards the lunchroom.

On the Inside, Myrtle didn't know if she were giddy or horrible humiliated by having to get help from Steve that way. She made her way to her locker at a snail's pace. Rounding a corner Myrtle hugged her books to her, she was not going to drop them again. "whoa!" Eddie called stepping back fast enough to stop the collision. "sorry about that." He said.

"you" Myrtle gasped, Eddie smiled wide, "hey McKinney." he said with a playful wave. "How're you feeling?" He asked creating distance between them. "awful and it keeps getting worse" her mind said, but Myrtle smiled faintly "better" she said.

Eddie gave her a skeptical gaze, "really?" he asked, "because no offense, but you don't look it." He said slowly. Eddie's eyes fell on the many books in Myrtle's arms and so he held out his own, "here pass those over, I can carry them for you." He offered.

"no I- I'm fine honestly," Myrtle said quickly trying to walk around him. When Eddie blocked her way by instinct Myrtle flinched. Eddie backed away carefully, "sorry," he said though clearly confused by her reaction. "your arms are shaking, I don't mind." He said holding out his arms again.

Myrtle caved in, and passed him her books. "why are you being so nice?" She asked eying him with caution. Eddie shrugged, "people need reasons to do a good thing?" he asked. "Yeah, it's how people work." Myrtle murmured. "Yeah well as I'm sure you've heard - the jury is still out on me being considered people." Eddie joked, following Myrtle to her locker.

Side glancing at Eddie she shook her head.

At Myrtle's locker, she took the books from Eddie and stuffed them on a shelf. She pulled her purse out of her backpack Myrtle started to collect change. "Here, what I owe you from last night." She said holding it out to him in her palm. "I didn't say you had to pay me back, it was just a few quarters." Eddie said.

"It was the nicest thing anyone's done for me in a long time." the words flew from Myrtle's mouth before the cage in her mind could close them in. She stood there shocked at herself and could feel the blush growing on her face.

Eddie gave a tiny smile, "as I said, its was no problem." He said, with careful movements, he closed her hand around the change. "look keep it and you can thank me by coming to a show - it'll be the fourth Tuesday of the month so it's Dollar Day at The Hideout." he said. Myrtle didn't know how to tell him she likely couldn't. She'd never get her father's approval to go to a concert, let alone on a weekday.

"um...I can try but I'd really rather you just take this." said Myrtle.

"and give you a reason not to? not a chance." Eddie chuckled, walking off. Myrtle exhaled and looked down at the change in her hand. "so maybe he is a little odd." She thought.