Status: Trigger warning | Not safe for arachnophobia | Needs a minor amount of editing

There and Back Again

Strawberry Fields Forever

So many things ran through Myrtle's mind as she stood looking up at the flag pole. "So the word around is Lexion hoards women and children, they say they got people across the world snatching them up in shadows of trafficking rings, Cartels, Cults...the missing they aren't victims in the way you think...." Amy's words echoed in Myrtle's mind.

The thought made her shiver as she hugged herself. "I don't want to believe her." Myrtle thought, "and yet..."

Myrtle could remember the seriousness in Amy's eyes as she spoke, she didn't look away or flinch. There was no lie in Amy's eyes.

"they're holding them, they're stock, like cattle the only thing is, no one knows why. The rumor is, some of them are transferred somewhere here in Hawkins. I know they took my sister and I know one of them also helped her get out."

Myrtle kept replaying the conversation from the night before. It was driving her mad. She'd even managed to piss off her mother, too busy replaying Amy's words in her head to respond when she had been spoken to. Myrtle's hands wrapped around her stomach as it burned softly, sent to bed without dinner and sent out to school without breakfast.

"Mother's usual lite punishment" Myrtle sighed, "it's better than the others, I'll take it. She can't be mad all day," Myrtle muttered. From the corner of her eyes, Myrtle could spot Robin heading for the front door of the school. She watched Myrtle cautiously, clearly unsure of what to do.

"I overreacted." Myrtle thought, "I should fix it....but how do I? It'll take me days just to get up enough gumption to walk up to her again." With a sigh Myrtle shook her head, "Robin, Patrick, and Chelsea. today's going to be a long day." she murmured, heading into school as the warning bell sounded off.

Eddie guzzled down the remaining orange juice in the jug, while waiting on his pop tarts to spring from the toaster. "So you've heard of Mr. McKinney right?" He called to his Uncle who was quite probably destroyed the bathroom. The bathroom faucet stopped running and Wayne exited drying his hands on a hand towel.

"Yeah, why?" He asked groggily, He'd only been home a little under two hours with a quick hour nap. "no real reason," Eddie said folding his arms, he leaned against the counter eyes glued to the toaster. Eddie teetered his head from side to side, "it's just," He stalled walking his hand along the edge of the countertop with his fingers, "there might kinda be this girl," Eddie admitted.

His uncle Wayne covered his face, "if it's another one of those all I ask is you be done before I'm home." he droned. Eddie's head snapped up as the Poptarts ejected, "it's not like that," Eddie said quickly. "I mean...I dunno she might take something but...she shows up in these, old dresses every day and hasn't ever stayed out all night," Eddie explained, his eyes searching the floor as he searched his thoughts. Hands flying about as he talked, "She could be lying." He pondered out loud.

"But I doubt it." Eddie said.

Wayne was hardly sure the boy was even talking to him anymore, rather caught up in a debate with himself and took the chance to pour himself a cup of old coffee.

"No, no. She's not the type not this one....this one is...." Eddie trailed off, turning he grabbed his pop tarts and quietly munched on a corner without filling. " I mean she's so '59 it's kind of insane, it somehow works. It takes a whole year to get her to say anything on her mind but, it's like some kind of game...I guess? and she's outrageously...." Eddie turned to face his uncle to find a smug look on his face as he sipped his coffee.

Eddie looked around carefully, "why are you looking at me with that face." He asked. Wayne simply shrugged and took a loud sip. "no reason. but you're in over your head Eddie." said Wayne making his way into the living room.

"in over my head, w-why exactly?" Eddie asked quickly, nervously chopping at his pop tart as he followed his Uncle. "Gregory McKinney is a tightass and if he runs his family like the Plant operations, You'd do better dealing with a father in the KGB." said Wayne.

Eddie nearly choked, "that bad huh?" he asked slowly. Wayne glanced up at him, Eddie watched his uncle with Eyebrows raised high. "what the hell, nobody likes me anyway." Eddie said optimism ringing in his voice. He grabbed his backpack and headed out the door. "You forgot to brush your teeth this morning, Romeo!" Wayne called out dryly.

Eddie swung open the door, peeking his head back inside, "that....would be helpful." He nearly squeaked rushing back in and to the bathroom.

"Jesus fuckin christ! use spray! use spray!" Eddie shouted fleeing the bathroom with his toothbrush and paste, opting to brush over the kitchen sink instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------


Myrtle had been avoiding Robin all day, she knew it was a little too obvious, "but I don't know what I should do..." she thought watching the documentary being projected onto the wall. various students whispered to each other and giggled, hardly paying attention to the information being given. While the teacher himself sat perched on his desk reading a book.

The door quietly creaked open as Eddie popped his head through the door, carefully scanning the room. Mr.Conn seemed to be distracted. "maybe he won't notice I'm late." Eddie thought. His eyes soon fell on Myrtle her focus not on the documentary but rather through the documentary. Her face faintly contorted in worry.

A small tilted smile came to Eddie's face as he spotted an empty seat beside her.

Opening the door a bit more, Eddie slid into class, quietly making his way through the rows of desks.

"You're late Mr.Munson" Mr.Conn called never lifting his head away from his book. Eddie rolled his eyes. "oh no. stop.help.murder." he muttered under his breath dryly.

"Maybe if I buy her an ice cream? Robin likes ice cream." Myrtle's mind still ran a mile a minute.

Eddie plopped down in the seat next to Myrtle his eyes looking around the room before leaning over toward her. "So nobody's concerned that Mr.Conn's face deep in a Mercer Mayer book?" Eddie asked her.

Myrtle jumped in a fluster, "Eddie?" She asked bewildered. Her eyes wandered over to Mr.Conn and the thin paperback in his hands, Sporting a little brown critter in green overalls standing before a yellow bathtub full of mice, frogs, and bugs.

"What?" Myrtle whispered squinting as if her eyes had tricked her.

"wait...how long have you been in this class?" She asked him. "all year?" Eddie asked back. Myrtle wanted nothing more than to slide to the floor and inch out of the classroom like a worm. She watched him with wide eyes for a moment and slowly turned her head back to the documentary. "I...I knew that." she stammered.

Eddie chuckled, "relax, I usually sit in the back and admittedly sleep through Biology. I can be easy to miss." He murmured leaning back in his seat. "A whole person for a whole year...." Myrtle breathed. "and to be completely fair to you, you're always out there somewhere in your head." Eddie added, rolling his neck so that he might look up at her. " Your mind is a racehorse" Eddie said.

"You aren't wrong." Myrtle whispered with a frown. "anyway I figured since we're speaking now aren't we? might as well stop hiding." Eddie added, glancing up at the documentary, he scrunched up his nose "help me out?" He asked, "what is this?"

"In Our Water, is about a family whose water was tainted by a landfill....Mr.Conn's been on a real eco-warrior tripp the last couple of months." Myrtle whispered. Eddie couldn't hold back his smile as she leaned in to whisper.

Even in the dimly lit room, she was close enough for him to get a good look at her eyes, the color of gunmetal. Eddie's own eyes almost crossed as he focused on a patch in her left eye that was an icy blue.

Myrtle started to blush, "I can't have something on my face." She thought, trying her best not to reach up and feel around her face. "I washed it this morning, and I haven't eaten yet." she told herself.

"would it be rude to just...look away or....." Myrtle's mind now had a new problem to deal with.

"now that's pretty damn cool," Eddie said, tapping the corner of his eye.

Myrtle exhaled, "oh the speck..." she thought, blushing once more as now she felt supremely silly. "um...thank you..." Myrtle said leaning away and settling back in her seat. Eddie chuckled and did the same, focusing on the movie, "wish my eyes were half a pretty." He said.

Myrtle could feel her mind screaming. "pretty? You think....I mean." Mrytle quickly shut up. Silence linger between the two and Eddie tried to cover his mouth with the back of his hand as he watched Myrtle from the corner of his eyes. He could tell her mind was about to burst as she struggled to hold in a comment. Until finally...

"Your eyes are pretty too," she murmured barely above a whisper. Eddi laughed inwardly but instead opted to save her any anxiety and pretend he didn't hear her.

----------------------------------------------------------


Lunch rolled around and Myrtle had yet to reach out to Robin. "gee she gets around a lot for a girl who claims not to have many friends." Myrtle thought, closing up her locker. Her stomach squelched lightly, "I wonder do I even bother going to the lunch room or?" she thought. As per her punishment, she would go without lunch too. As she wasn't permitted to eat school lunches and was forbidden from making her own today.

Myrtle sighed. "I should go to at least find Robin, however, if I do.... she'll wonder why I'm not eating and blow it up into a bigger problem and I won't be able to tell her the real reason and.... it's actually endless." Myrtle thought.

"maybe I can find something to do with myself." She sighed, turning the corner into the main hall. However, she was met with an unfriendly face. "McKinney" Chelsea sneered. Myrtle shrunk back slightly, slowly creating distance between the small pack of girls.

"Hello Chelsea," Myrtle said keenly aware of how empty the hallway had become.

Steps sounded behind her as she saw a smile spread across Chelsea's face. "Steve told the whole team I'm a bitch." She growled. Myrtle side glanced, "did he lie?" Myrtle thought, standing stone still. "I'm sorry that's...I don't have any control over that." Myrtle said finding herself pinned in as the girls closed in around her.

"You had to play the helpless little dork." Chelsa hissed giving Myrtle's shoulder a shove. Still sore from the events at the Fords, Myrtle bit her lip to stop a yelp while the bruise throbbed in protest.

"honest, Chelsea...Nancy was the one who ran over to help. It's not my fault." reasoned Myrtle, but Chelsea clearly wasn't in the mood. "You should have been watching where you were going instead of constantly looking off into space." She snapped.

Myrtle lowered her head and gripped the sides of her jeans, "y-your right, I'm sorry." she murmured. "maybe it's better to just give her what she wants. she'll go away faster then, right?" Myrtle asked herself.

The girl behind Myrtle giggled, "oh so so pathetic, no wonder your brother doesn't want to be seen with you. He might catch your Lame." She said. Myrtle stayed silent and side glanced, "tell me something my mother hasn't already." she sighed mentally.

"Can I...go now? please?" Myrtle asked voice strained.

Chelsea tilted her head, "well let's see....I'm feeling kind today, you know if the spirit of being nice." she hummed. Myrtle lifted her head in shock. "so, we can be civil," said Chelsea, but there was a sharp glint in her eyes, like a cat before it bites and Myrtle's stomach sank.

"Since you embarrassed me in front of Steve, we get to embarrass you... in front of the whole basketball team," Chelsea said with a grin.

"b-but...that'll take too long to settle they don't practice until next week, it-it's Friday." Myrtle stammered. "true, but -" Chelsea paused and held her finger in the air as the bell rang, "you hear that, lunch is over which means gym stars soon, it's a free day." she said smirking.

"Everybody meets in the gym..." Myrtle murmured. "exactly." Chelsea sang.

"wh-what do you want from me then?" Myrtle asked defeated. Chelsea smirked "do you like strawberries..." she said cheekily.

-----------------------------------------------------


Myrtle stood in the lockerroom before mirror over one of the many sinks, biting her lip as she looked at her reflection, stuck side of the giant strawberry costume. "at least the long sleeves and legs still cover up the bruising." she thought, the silver linings in the situation were very small.

Eddie was sitting with Scott and Gareth on the bleachers, when he noticed a particular group of girls, known for being notoriously mean, overly excited as they chatted. "so Marcy will star the tape over the speakers and then McKinney knows to come out for her grand debut." Chelsea giggled. "Strawberry Fields Forever, not only will she look dumb, everyone will think she's sky high." another girl laughed.

"and both Nacy and Steve will regret associating themselves with her." Chelsea snickered.

"don't you think this is a little much...." One girl muttered. "this is why no one like you Jenna." another said flatly.

Eddie sat back and straightened up, "shit...shit.. shit," He said looking around the gym. He wouldn't be able to turn the sound off, "but..." he thought, "I bet I can be louder than it." he murmured.

Turning to Gareth and Scott he leaned in between them, "guys I need help, our Lady TinĂºviel is in trouble." He said. "what?" asked Gareth, "how?" Scott echoed. "Wargs," Eddie muttered, "anyway, Gareth I need you to go piss off those girls over there for a while, Scott you help. I need to go find Jeff and...probably get suspended." Eddie said Hopping up from his seat. "wait what?" Scott called out, "Just be ready to play, 23 - remember the radio contest!" Eddie called behind him as he ran out of the Gym, ignoring the P.E teacher's protests.

Myrtle rested on the bench in the girls' locker room, waiting for the dreaded moment she would hear the music playing from the Gym. She swung her legs, "If there is a god he hates me." she muttered. "either that or I've done something terribly wrong and completely forgot about it and now I'm forever cursed." she thought with a heavy sigh.

"what's taking so long?" she wondered.

"Jeff, Jeff, Jeff!" Eddie shouted sliding to a stop, He threw his hands onto Jeff's shoulder. "w-what wrong?" Jeff asked. Eddie panted and pointed up the hall, "we need to break into the music room closet, three guitars." said Eddie drawing in a breath of air, "and the piano." he puffed. "the piano? are you crazy we just roll that up the hallway and to where?" Jeff asked eyes large with wonder.

"The gym! look I can explain while we're doing it - let's go!" Eddie urged lightly pushing Jeff in the right direction.

"You've finally lost your mind man!" Jeff gasped. "no, no it's always been gone - move faster!" called Eddie.

"so um....what it's like being a girl?" Gareth asked Chelsea as she watched he and Scott with a disturbed look on her face. "why would that matter to you?" she asked. "we just...wanted to know if the fragrance in shampoo makes your hair better than ours or...." Scott went on. He and Gareth sharing uncomfortable glances. They weren't doing well and they knew it.

Meanwhile bursting out of the music storage room came flying a grand piano on wheels, made out of like oak, it zoomed through the hall, guitars stacked on top of it. "you need to slow down we can't control this thing!" Jeff called.

"no, no left, we're going outside and around the back! they can't see us come in!" Eddie called.

"You'd better be planning to ask this girl out, or I'm going to want restitution for this, man!" Jeff called.

"and...like...so to bra's help with back suppor-" Scott's eyes wandered over to the back door of the Gym, he could see Eddie and Jeff quietly getting the Piano inside albeit not without a mild struggle. "Um...you don't really care, we'll just be...going." he said lightly pushing Gareth ahead of him.

Chelsea turned to her friends in confusion. "ew." she said simply. "uh he wasted time, Jules go tell Marcy to press play." Chelsea said with a grin. "I wish I had a camera...this would be great for the yearbook." she sighed.

From the girl's locker room Myrtle could hear the melody of the Beatles over the loudspeakers, biting her lip she got to her feet and trudged towards the door and out. As they do the door closed loudly drawing everyone in the gym's attention.

Some student's gawked and others broke out into laughter instantly.

"Oh my god." Nancy breathed covering her mouth, she looked around frantically, "she's not doing this on her own." she thought. From a distance, Nancy spotted Chelsea and her eyes narrowed, "her again?" she asked. "Her who again?" Steve asked returning to Nancy from his Team Mates.

"One, two, three, four"

The song started to play and as requested by Chelsea, Myrtle danced. No matter how intricate and elegant Ballet may seem on a stage, the fact remains it looks very much less beautiful when done as a giant fruit.

"And nothing to get hung about, Strawberry fields forever"

Myrtle tried her best to block out the laughter, and even the P.E teachers were left speechless unsure of what to do, one even laughing herself no matter how hard she tried not to.

"what the hells wrong with you sister?" Jason asked Patrick, who simply shook his head. "Mom and Dad found her in the street....maybe whoever had her before threw her out on her head..." Patrick muttered, eyes seething.

"no nono, no, guys! we need to hurry it up!" Eddie sang in panic, slipping the electric guitar over his body. Scott flicked on the amps from the gymnasium stage, and the reverb vibrated the air. "I'm not sure how well I remember this song," Gareth confessed behind the Piano. "doesn't matter, let's go!" Eddie said.

Not missing a step, Gareth put his fingers to the keys, The whole room became confused as they could hear played the first few notes, of 'Strawberry Letter 23'

"where is that coming from?" Steve asked, watching as the P.E instructor went to investigate. The soft piano intro mixed unevenly with the Beatles' song blaring over the loudspeakers like circus music.

Myrtle had stopped dancing in her confusion, "nobody told you to stop!" Chelsea barked, Myrtle, sighed, and continued when the room was struck by the full-powered intro of the second song, played via 3 guitars, and the electric sang the loudest as it covered the Piano key with cords.

The Gym teacher scowled as he pulled away the curtains hiding the stage behind the bleachers. " MUNSON!" He shouted. Eddie gave him a nervous smile but kept playing "it's a good deed I swear!" Eddie said quickly, his eyes falling on Myrtle as she spun about.

In her turn, She got a glimpse of the stage, the sight of Eddie and his band causing her to fall off the tip of her toe and forward. Catching herself she stood there gawking. "Eddie?" she thought.

"they're ruining everything!" Chelsea shouted, giving Jenna a shove, "go tell Marcy to make the music louder!" she raged. Jenna gave a nod and ran off.

It wasn't Metal, and it certainly wasn't his image. but Eddie tried his best to channel the same motivation he had in middle school to perform the song for the five hundred dollar prize radio contest. "it's not five hundred...." he thought, his eyes falling back down to Myrtle who Chelsea was shouting at. "But worth it..."

"Hello my love, I heard a kiss from you." He sang, and it was nothing like the original, but you can't teach a headbanger to sing Soul in the course of a few frantic minutes, so Eddie tried his best to create a version all his own.

Jeff rolled his eyes, "he's gonna owe me for the rest of his life." he thought, "Red magic satin playing near, too - All through the morning rain I gaze, the sun doesn't shine" Jeff sang carrying him. Eddie glanced back at Jeff and grinned thankfully. "Rainbows and waterfalls run through my mind..."

"what is the freak doing?" Steve asked brows furrowed, Nancy grinned, "trying to help...come on!" She called, taking Steve by the hand Nancy lead him out towards Myrtle. She gave the mortified and dazed girl a warm smile before starting to dance to the music, "come on Steve." Nancy hinted. "I can't get down to this...what even is this?" Steve asked. "1977 and I am sure you did once in your life when you were little. just do it." said Nancy. Steve shrugged, "ok, ok." he said joining in as best he could.

"Sweet, Dance party?" another student called, taking the hand of his girlfriend he rushed out to the middle of the gym. "He's butchering it but...come on Roman let's go," called Wilma the senior cheerleader, reaching a well-manicured hand out to her boyfriend. "My dad taught me how to dance to this song when I was little." Roman laughed following her out.

Patrick hid his face in his hands, "my sister the giant strawberry started a dance?" He groaned. hopping that when he removed his hands it would all go away. "seems like it...and with the freak too." Jason snickered.

"Come on, Jason I want to dance. the rest of the cheer squad is out there." Chrissy said lightly resting a hand on Jason's arm. Patrick looked at his teammate and friend baffled as he lead Chrissy to the floor. "You aren't serious?" Patrick asked. "I don't like it, but if she wants to dance, I'm not going to say no." Jason shrugged.

-------------------------------------------------------------


Myrtle quietly started to back away towards the lockers as the floor filled up with dancing students. However, she could see all three P.E instructors zeroing in on the Boys playing on the stage.

The main doors to the gym opened up revealing the Vice Principal and several teachers, with a pack of nosey students behind them. some even pushing past to join the party in the gym.

"oh no." Myrtle whispered, "oh well...how much worse can it get?" she thought, making a run for the stage.

"you boys get down right this minute or-" The P.E teacher was cut off as Myrtle dashed passed him and to the front of the stage. "W-Welcome student body and personnel of Hawkins High!" she called out, voice cracking as her nerves skyrocketed.

"We uh...we hope you enjoy the surprise Teacher Appreciation bash! W-would the teachers and Vice Principal kindly join us on the floor!" She called. She wasn't used to having to be this peppy. "appreciation?" the P.E teacher asked looking towards the boys, "Yes!" Jeff said quickly, "yes, totally Mr. Burns." Eddie said quickly. "w-we all planned it in fact, Chelsea was the one who um...started the music yes... the strawberry theme as an...ugh... homage to the drama club." Eddie said slowly stitching together a story.

"yeah we just...got confused, didn't get the memo that she was no longer going with Strawberry Letter and wanted Strawberry Fields instead." Gareth jumped in. "a simple mistake really...but we are sorry about that." said Jeff.

Myrtle walked up to the P.E teacher and tried her best to smile. "why else would I be in this silly thing.... surprise!" she called throwing her hands in the air. Mr.Burns finally broke out into laughter "this might be just what we needed after the loss of our student last year." He said with an approving grin, before going to join the other staff.

Myrtle exhaled and looked at the boys, "sweet mother of Mystra that was close" Gareth sighed. Scott laughed, "and the princess is saved, from the maw of the wargs." Scott cheered high-fiving Gareth, Myrtle followed behind the boys and they left through the back of the stage. "I can't believe that actually worked, and we're not in deep shit because of it," Jeff said.

Eddie threw his arm around myrtle's shoulders, startling her enough to draw a yelp and a flinch. "Could you suspect such a little angel face?" Eddie said taking on the tone most people use for babies as he grinned down at Myrtle. She blushed deeply, not only was he way too close but she was keenly made aware that she was still... in fact, a giant strawberry.

But once she realized she was back in front of the locker rooms, tears welled into her eyes, and without thinking her arms reached out around Eddie, then past him flagging down the boys. While they joined in the group hug, Myrtle was unable to find words.

"we're gonna go return the instruments." Jeff said, giving Scott and Gareth and nudge as he wiggled his way out of the group. "ah...yes, we should come on lets go." Scott said hinting, "but I want to go back and watch the teachers try and dance." Gareth protested following behind them.

Eddie shook his head towards the sky "morons" he thought fondly, Myrtle gasped and shot away from Eddie, "s-sorry that was...probably very odd." she murmured. "I won't reject a hug now or any day," Eddie said.

Myrtle looked down at her feet, "I overheard Cruella's plans. couldn't let it happen. I kinda gotta live with myself." Eddie said. "and she kinda deserved it. now she'll have to deal with gushing teachers all day..that is until they find out what really happened." he added.

Myrtle sniffled as the tears came back, she rubbed at her eyes hopelessly as it was all pulling her under. the relief, the humiliation, and the happiness rapidly taking over. "aw come on." Eddie sighed, leaning forward he tried his best to help her with her tears using the hem of his shirt.

Myrtle swatted away his hand, "no don't!" she gasped covering her nose and mouth with her hands. "what?" Eddie asked confused, shirt-wrapped finer hovering in the air. She looked up at him with mortified apologetic eyes, "there is snot." she peeped.

Eddie laughed loudly, "yeah, I know kinda hard to miss, isn't it? you think I'm gonna let you walk around as a snotty strawberry?" Eddie asked.

"it's gross." She muttered. "gross is the green milk Gareth shoots out of his nose when you make him laugh in the middle of drinking milk." Eddie said.

"you've got like...cute little elf goo coming out your nose." He added.

Myrtle's face was blazing by now from behind her hands. Eddie giggled quietly and it made Myrtle's heart flutter. "go on in and change and clean up. There's a whole day of school left, I'm sure I'll see you around." He said turning to walk away, "you can thank me profusely then!" he called back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Check my Ao3, Wattpad, or Tumblr for faster updates and news.