Status: Active

Lipstick and Branding

Chapter One

"Hi, daddy."

That was the first thing Genevieve has said to her father in over 6 years. As soon as she was eighteen, she left the families ranch and had not been back since.

John Dutton turned with great force; it almost caused him whiplash; tears staining his aged face.
"Ginni..."
John didn't call his youngest. He should have, but she was too busy with work. Beth had more availability, even though he didn't approve in Ginny's studies. They had gotten into a heated argument the night before she left for school.

'I will never have a drug dealer as a daughter.' would echo in her head for months after she left. But she knew studying the medical benefits of marijuana was something that held close to her heart. Montana didn't have any programs that specialized in the study of behavioral neuroscience and social psychology that pertains directly to the effect of cannabinoids.

"How are you daddy."
Ginni didn't know what to say to him. Her sister called her from the ranch to inform her their oldest brother died. Beth left a week before, leaving her youngest sister in the bustling city of Salt Lake. Blue eyes reflected her mothers, as she watched her father slowly walk around the stallion and pull her small frame into a hug.

"I need you here more than ever."
Her father whispered in her hair.

"I'm here. I'll stay."
With that her father did the one thing she would never think to see, John Dutton broke down into a heart crushing sob. Not in her 26 years she had seen him even shed a tear. This caused Ginni's heart to grow heavy, opening the flood gates that held back all the emotions she had felt since she received that phone call. She had not spoken to Lee since her birthday. He called her to wish her another trip around the sun and that mom would be so proud of the woman I had become, no matter how much dad disapproved of her career path in medicine. He called to keep everything updated on the ranch, how dad's health was doing. She still cared, but she missed everyone terribly.
Now, Lee is gone.

Genevieve awoke early the next morning. The sun hadn't peaked above the mountains, it was breaking the darkness enough to show a beautiful cerulean painted above her. She slid on a pair of dusty black Levi's with a black and purple flannel shirt, over royal purple bra. Gini slid on a pair of black Tecovas before heading out of the room her father allowed her to stay in and making her way down to the kitchen. It looked like Gator hadn't made his way up from the bunk house to start making coffee and breakfast, so Gini made the initiative to make the brew. Extra strong, just the way the Dutton’s like it. To be honest, this was weak compared to the coffee she would get at home, Death Wish Coffee was usually in her cupboard. But she did not anticipate staying.
After the java was brewed, and in a mug. Ginni decided to walk down to the bunk house and get the wranglers up. They haven't met her yet, so they don't know who she is, sans Rip and Loyd. So it would be great joy to show them was a real Ya'lternative female is. It was still rather quiet on the ranch, just the distant sound of the cattle and the horses that were in the bar. This was perfect.
before she could get down the hill, Rip was coming close behind her.

"Who the fuck are you?"
His voice was low enough not to alert anyone, but still threatening.

With a devious smirk Ginni turned on her heels, careful enough not to spill the precious liquid in the cup.
"Well, I do declare... if it isn't Rip Wheeler, I was hoping you could point the way to the naked cowboy show. I was told this was the place to find some fine young stallions. But I don't see any sexy cowboys."
It took every inch of Ginni not to laugh. She adored Rip, he was older than her, but he treated her like one of the boys, if not better. Shit, there is days he treats her better than Beth and they've been fucking since they were teenagers.

"Jesus Christ, Gini? Did you run loose a bet and become someone's cattle?"
He was referring to her facial piercings. Ginni has undergone non-surgical body modifications since she left for School.

"Wait till you see your name on my ass."
Gini laughed.
"But really, how are you Rip."

"Same shit, different day. How are you, kid? Graduate yet?"
They decided to stop at the bottom of the hill.

"I did. I work as a 'Legal drug dealer' now. Now, that Utah is medicinal, my study has slowed down a bit, but I found a job at a dispensary in the city."
Needed to smoke herself, but she figured it was not a good time. Her dad would loose his mind, let alone about her occupation.

"A legal drug dealer huh?"
Rip laughed, shaking his head.
"Well, I'll be damned. So, why you moseying down here anyhow?"

"Thought I'd like to poke a little fun at the hand."
Gini stated non chalantly, with a grin on her red painted lips.
"You an' Loyd are the only two that know who I am aside from pops and the siblings."
Her black hair blew around her face under her soft brim cowboy hat. She didn't look like either of the Dutton parents, except for her eyes. She had her mother's eyes. But she looked nothing like her father.
"So... Why don't we fuck with them a little. Nothin' to cause them to take to the train station."
She raised an eyebrow, giving the hint she didn't have to say more.

"Fine."
Rip rolled his eyes and followed her lead.

"Ok, so here's the plan...You're going to introduce me as Gin. Like the liquor."
Ginny didn't really have a plan outside of that, because she was going to just start the fire and wake everyone up with a cowbell, but since she'd been caught then that blew out the window. Besides, the closer they got to the bunk house door, the smell of bacon perforated through the cracks.

Rip opened the door, they both stepped in causing every single pair of eyes in the room to go straight to them.
"This is Gin. You will treat her like one of us, I have no issue fucking you up if either one of you think of messing with her. Gator, fix Gin a plate."

"Looks like Dutton lost his damn mind, bringing a girl here."
a bald, red bearded fuck muttered.

"The fuck did you say Fred?"
Rip hissed, as Gator handed him a plate full of bacon, eggs and hashbrowns.

"Nothin', sir."
He dipped his head closer to his meal and canned it.

"Thanks, Gator."
Gin smiled, as she winked at him. He started just before she left for the U of U.

He nodded with a return smile.
Gin then sat next to Lloyd and another wrangler, who had a beautiful smile and chocolate eyes with skin to match. She turned to him with a grin to greet him.
"Hi, your name is?"

"Colby ma'am."
He also tipped his hat, then continued his breakfast. Not a very talkative bunch.

"So where you from Gin?"
A handsome gentleman smirked at her from across the table. He had thick chestnut brown hair that trailed down his jawline to a beard. His oceanic blue eyes pierced her soul as if he was the devil himself.

"Well, Cowboy. Here."

"I've never seen you around town."
He scoffed while taking a bite of bacon, you can clearly see he saved for last.

"Moved to Salt Lake, to go to school. Now I'm back to help some family."
She said through her teeth, with food still in her mouth.

"I didn't know the city had vampires."
Fred said, hoping to make it a joke, obviously referring to her dark aesthetic and piercing.

"I didn't know the Dutton's would hire a horse's twat, but here we are."
She said into her coffee. Getting a snort from Loyd.

"Better watch what you say you little bitch."
Fred growled. Causing the tension to build. That was when the door flew open and in walked her father.

"I thought I'd join you boys for breakfast."
John Dutton said as he walked further into the bunk house and grabbed the plate from Gator. He then walked behind Ginni and kissed her on the top of the head.
"Good morning, Princess."
Then sat down.

Everyone looked at both of them in utter shock and confusion. Ginni could feel the sense of dread coming from Fred, realizing he just threatened the Bosses daughter. The tiny one, looked as scared as a wet kitten, sat there with his mouth agape watching each and everyone’s reaction to Mr. Dutton’s dark daughter.

"A Dutton, huh?"
The Cowboy who Ginni later found out his name was Ryan.
"Didn't know Dutton had a pretty daughter."

He'd followed Ginni into the barn, as she went to go saddle her own horse.
She smirked at his remark.
"I'm not sure if you were flirting with me or having a backhand remark about my sister. To which, I find them both amusing. Ryan, yes?"
She walked up to mere inches to him, close enough she could smell his woodsy musk and mint from his breath.
"I hope we get greatly acquainted."
Ginni stated before stepping back and continue to loop the restraints on the saddle and ensure the bit is securely fastened.

"You're not like most girls, aren't ya?"
Ryan was astounded. He heard about goth girls, but he never seen one who had the knowledge of a wrangler but looked like Elvira. Absolutely captivating. He's going to have a hell of a time keeping her off his mind. Her icy eyes captured his soul like a perfect lasso being thrown by the ranching angels.

"Nope. I'm a Dutton."
Ginni giggle, as she hopped on the horses back and galloped out of the barn to meet up with the others.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a thought that has been rolling around in my head.
Let me know what you think