Status: Active

Lipstick and Branding

Chapter Four

Rolling thunder echoed into the early morning, stirring Ginni from her heavy slumber. Rubbing her eyes, she stood up from her bed and made her way to the window. It was still rather dark, but the sun was slowly illuminating the sky. Rays of pink casted across the heavens. With a yawn, Ginni focused her eyes to see three large semis pulling cattle trailers. She blinked in attempt to gain composure before heading to her suitcase and pulled out a pair of jeans, a University of Utah hoodie, no bra, and work boots. Sluggishly she pulled on her clothes, brushed here teeth and hair. For a brief moment she surveyed the growth of hair. It's been a month since she last shaved the sides of her head. Keeping her hair short helps alleviate the migraines she would get. However, she also enjoyed having the length as well. She had natural black hair that reached to the top of her hips. Having the sides cut took a lot of weight from her scalp and still allowed her to keep her feminine touch. Ginni took the time to wash her face and clean her piercings. Spending time out on the ranch caused them to become crusty from the dirt and sweat. Today was the day she decided she was going to tell her father that she was planning on moving back to Montana. But she would need to spend at least a week in Salt Lake to pack her belongings and inform her boss she was no longer going to be working there. Ginni had no clue what she was going to do once she gets to paradise valley.

Pleased with her appearance, Gin made her way outside while the cowboys were unloading the first truck load of cattle. The closer she got to the trucks her father saw coming and waved her over.

"Good morning."

She smiled brightly, mildly kicking herself for not stopping in the kitchen to grab some coffee. The java would melt her icy fingers. The morning was supremely chilly for being early spring.

"Morning sweetheart."

Her father grumbled while sipping his coffee.

"Where'd these come from?"

Ginni tilted her head and used her lips to point at the cattle trucks.

"They're the cattle the Rez stole. They sent them back."

He took another sip, while watching the ranch hands directing the cows.

"And what did you do to convince them to return the beef?"

Gin raised an eyebrow, while grabbing ahold of her father's coffee and stealing a sip. The look on John Dutton's face was full of shock and it was priceless.

"They stole them, just like you stole my coffee?"

He took the mug back.

"I made a point that regardless of their laws, it was still theft."

Ginni didn't need further details. She didn't care for the war between her father and the Reservation council. According to her great-great grandmother's journals, the land was gifted by the Crow tribe when they first arrived, with the agreement that after seven generations had passed, the tribe will acquire the land back. Throughout the years, The Dutton family welcomed the natives with the peace treaty intact. But, the new Chief of the Broken Rock band hasn't been as friendly. Ginni couldn't blame him, after everything colonizers had done to his people since they've landed in the Americas. She would be angry as well. However, according to the diaries, the Duttons were always accepting.

"Be careful. Don't be digging yourself a hole you can't get out of."

Gin warned, as her eyes met with her fathers.

"If your brother hasn't already done so, there should not be any holes. This is politics, Gin."

Kayce's name did not need to be brought into the conversation. He is a whole lot different of a person, while their father had never changed. Ginni simply rolled her eyes and chose not to argue.

"I'm going back to Salt Lake."

She broke the silence from their previous topic.

"Once I packed up my belongings, I will be back up here with a U-Haul."

John nearly choked on his coffee, after hearing the news that his youngest is coming back.

"You're moving here?"

"You did ask me to come back. There is a dispensary in Bozeman, So I would have work."

Gin shrugged, while leaning against the paddock fence.

"You don't need to be a drug dealer to come here."

He still was biased.

"Dad, I'm technically a pharmacist. Every transaction I do is legal."

Gin tried to educate her father.

"It's still a drug, Genevieve."

His voice raised into a tone, that would scare any cowboy in Montana, but not her. Gin was passionate about her work; she loves the science behind the plant. She was hoping in the next year, she would go back to school for Advanced Botany and Phytotherapy. Unfortunately, it looks like she is going to have to place that on hold.

"It's a plant and a medicinal one at that."

John was about to rebuttal his daughter's response, but she continued her rant.

"I'm not going to have you tell me what I can and cannot do with my degree. Because there may be one day when my skills and knowledge will save this ranch."

Ginni glared at her father. Her verbal onslaught caused her an audience. The wranglers and truck drivers stopped to see what the commotion was, that was until Rip's voice echoed around the ranch telling everyone to get back to work.

"What do you mean 'Help save this ranch?"

John's voice dipped low to a gravely growl, while his blue eyes narrowed to fine slits.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out dad. This part of Montana has perfect climate."

Gin winked before heading back to the lodge. She truly thought her father had accepted her for who she was as a person. Even as the youngest Dutton she was still a disappointment in her father's eyes. She hoped after being away from the valley for so long, he would have accepted her carrier path.

"You're such a fucking disappointment."

She heard her father growl towards her back.

Ouch.

That hit hard, she knew how he felt, but it actually coming out of his mouth sealed the deal. Gin didn't say anything, she did not react. Just kept her head high and her back turned. With the decision of heading back to Salt Lake City that day, she went up to the room and grabbed her belongings.

Did she really want to move back to Montana?

She enjoyed the city life. Her job at the dispensary was wonderful and laid back. She made really good money at the local gentleman's club. She had some acquaintances, but that is what social media is for. By the time Gin was done she dragged her suitcases down to her rented Chevy Malibu. Once her luggage was stuffed into the trunk, she made her way down to Rip who was watching the ranchers practice their rope throwing. It was about three in the afternoon, so they were done with herding the cattle into pasture three.

"Rip."

She called out gaining his attention.

"I need some help moving here."

"Okay? What do you want me to do about it?"

Rip was in a vicious mood this morning; he glowered down at her from his saddle. Tipping his sunglasses down his nose, as his dark eyes narrowed in Ginni's direction.

"Can I take two wranglers to help me move?"

Ginni jutted out her bottom lip.

"Hire some movers."

Rip scoffed.

"I don't trust mover to drive my car or the U-haul."

Ginni had no time for games, she was going to bring wranglers with her whether Rip liked it or not.

"Come on, just for one week and you'll have them back."

"Ask your father."

Rip Grumbled, before he motioned for the horse to turn from her, with the bridle.

"You're the foreman..."

"I said ask you-"

He hissed before being abruptly interrupted.

"Ask me what?"

Her father was standing behind him with a white work hat on, his hands in his pockets and his aged face slated with expression.

"I need two wranglers to help me move."

She repeated, this time to both men.

"Why not hire movers?"

Ginni was getting annoyed. If only Rip had just said 'yes,' she wouldn't have to play ring around the rosie with these two shits for brains.

"Like I told Rip, I don't trust random people driving my car or the U-Haul."

"Why can't you drive one or the other?"

Her father thought it was a no-brainer question. What he doesn't know is that Ginni took on a few hobbies rebuilding vintage vehicles and motorcycles.

"Trust me dad, if one of them totals my car, I will kill them myself."

Both of them leaned to look over Ginni's shoulder to get a bet look at the Chevy she took up there. Confusion began to show on both of their faces, as they wondered why a twenty thousand dollar car would warrant someone's life.

"That's a rental."

Ginni rolled her eyes after she realized they were looking at the piece of junk she rented in Salt Lake.

"She can take the two low man."

Rip shrugged.

"Not Ryan."

John's voice boomed.

"I need him for livestock. She can take Jimmy and Colby."

It may have not been obvious, but Ginni could tell there was another reason for her father suggesting Colby over Ryan.

"Works for me, I'll be leaving in a half an hour. They better be ready."

Gin stated before heading back to the car to check the fluids in her car.

"A goddess."

Ryan stated.

"A mythical creature."

Colby followed.

"She's a pistol."

"A damn pistol that shot me in the heart in the chest."

Ryan said as the two cowboys chose to advert their attention to the mystical Dutton, who at this moment had her hair in a tight braid, head and arms under the hood of the Malibu.

"Put your tongues in your mouths before the boss chops them from your skulls.:

Lloyd rode up next to him on his quarter horse in the arena.

"Rip wants to see you, Colby."

After the seasoned cowboy summoned Colby to meet the foreman, He turned to Ryan.

"Tread water carefully, kid. You're making it as obvious as a bull in a china shop. You're crushing on the bosses' daughters."

Ryan turned his attention to Lloyd, with the expression of 'what the fuck' written across his face.

"She may be a wild spirit, but she is also a Dutton. She is your boss too."

Lloyd then rode off to exit the corral. It was Ryan against Ethan on this round. He had the head while Ethan would rope the hind haunches.

It couldn't be that obvious that he's jonesing for the farmer's daughter. She had a wild spirit and a strong mind. She was a quick rider and a wit to match. The little bit of time he had spent with her gave him enough assurance that she was nothing like the rest of the Dutton clan. She was mean, but not in a cruel way. Ryan stopped to watch the raven-haired goddess get into her tiny black car with Colby in the passenger seat and Jimmy in the back. Within minutes, dust was being kicked up from the rear tires and she was gone.

"So, what's the game plan boss lady?"

Colby joked, while looking out the window of the passenger seat.

"Get to my flat in Salt Lake City, I'll start packing the little items while you two relax. I plan on leaving the city by Sunday that way we can get there before you guys have to run the cattle into the ranch to be cut out and sold"

Ginni knew they were going to take all day and part of the night to get there. It was roughly eight hours out. Taking I-15 all the way down.

"Meaning, I want to get started bright and early tomorrow. I'll pick up a truck before you get up and then we'll start separating and loading."

Ginni stated, before allowing the car to go silent.

The rest of the ride was long and quiet. Ginni drove most of the way and switched off with Colby midway through Idaho and into Brigham City. This gave Ginni enough time for a power nap. They stopped in Ashton and Malad for gas and bathroom breaks. Jimmy insisted they stop at Jack in the Box for food before crossing the Utah-Idaho border. Thankfully, Gin was Famished and needed a bite to eat.

After they passed Ogden a few other small cities that lined the shores of the Great Salt Lake, to Jimmy's window on the left, was Utah's very own Amusement Park.

"Is that Disneyland?"

Jimmy asked hopefully.

"Dude...Disneyland is in California."

Colby turned his seat and gave the teen a look that asked if he was a dumbass, without the words coming from his mouth.

"That's Lagoon. Utah's tiny amusement park."

Ginni laughed trying to clear the air. The park was beginning to shut down their lights, indicating it's about eleven at night. Just another thirty minutes and they've reached their destination.

Ginni's house was a small bungalow that sat on Harvard Avenue. She had a month-to-month lease agreement, which thankfully it was close to the end of the month. She had already spoken with her landlord in regard to her moving out. Therefore, they were well aware of the near vacancy. It was a small home with a parlor room with a fireplace and one bedroom in the front. A Covered front porch. Then a living room/dining room in the center of the house, with two more bedrooms and a small bathroom off to the right. To the rear left was the kitchen and a stairwell that lead to a dugout basement and the backdoor. The home was built in the early twenties, but the landlord had made several upgrades and renovations since. She chose this house because it was right off state street and only a few minutes from her previous jobs.

It was just barely midnight when Ginni unlocked the front door, the house was dark and smelt a bit musty. The air was stagnant indicating no one has been there for week. Her plants were still firm and perky. So, they didn't need to be watered yet. The boys scattered into various rooms to see what the damage was and how to strategize.

"What the actual fuck?"

Colby exclaimed from the far back room. Both Jimmy and Gin went to see what the commotion was.

It was the stripper pole in the middle of the room.

"What? Never saw a fireman's pole before?"

Gin rolled her eyes before going into the kitchen to see if there was any food that had not been spoiled.

"We're putting it in the bunk house."

She hollered from the kitchen, while the two cowboys continued to wrap their heads around a stripper pole outside of the club.

"Maybe Rip will allow dancers on the ranch, for Saturday nights."

No response.

What were they doing?

Ginni popped her head around the corner to see Colby doing his best inverted spin. Once he saw the facial expression on Ginni's face, his hands slipped, causing him to fall and land on his back with a thud that rattled the entire house.

"Having fun?"

Ginni stepped into full view, with her arms folded across her chest. She was having the hardest time keeping the famous Dutton scowl. These two were hilarious and she was glad to get them away from ranch for a few days.

"Rest up boys, I've got blankets in the closet here. I'm going to bet."

Ginni vacated the area and escaped to her room leaving the two maniacs to themselves.

"That's the last of it?"

Ginni dusted her hands off, before placing them on her hips. Jimmy loaded the last box and Gin is the one that had locked the back of the box truck.

"Now that we have to do is pull out the car and motorcycle. Check the fluids and we're good to go."

It took them three days to have everything packed and loaded into the U-Haul. Ginni didn't have much. The longest and most difficult part was securing the plants, that way they don't tip, or something were to crush them.

"What car?"

Jimmy asked quizzically.

Ginni had returned the rental the same day she got the U-Haul neither of them knew Gin had her prized toys in the Garage.

A wicked grin creeped across her face as she goes to unlock the padlock that secured the wooden door shut. Once the hinge was loose, Ginni pushed the heavy door open to reveal a fully refurbished pink and black 1967 Shelby GT500.

"Holy mother of god."

Both of their jaws dropped. If there was one thing Gin knew about men, they all had the love for Eleanor.

"How did you... That's a GT500."

Colby took a long gander around the Garage narrowly missing the 1990 Honda Shadow, Gin had under the tarp.

"I found the shell at a pick in pull in Tooele. It took me four years to get her restored. Some parts I had to get help with, but she's been my baby ever since."

Touching the polished hood, with the tip of her fingers.

"I did an oil change before I left, but She has been sitting for almost a month. Now, let's get down to business, I'll be riding the Honda all the way up, so I need one of you to drive the Mustang and the other drives the U-Haul. You don't scratch anything; I'll pay you a grand."

Their mouths hit the floor once again, this would also add to their weeks' worth at the ranch.

"So... who wants to drive the Mustang?"

Ginni asked, pulling the keys out of her pocket. The wranglers began shoving and grappling each other from grabbing the keys from Gin's fingers.

Gin pulled the keys back from their reach.

"Ah...ah...ahh. The real question is who can drive a manual?"

Colby raised his hand,

"I can ma'am."

"Call me ma'am one more time and I'll knock your head into 3020, myself. Do not scratch, kill the engine, stain, or even blow a speaker. Only premium!"

Gin tossed keys to him, the pulled the U-Haul's keys for her other pocket and gave it to Jimmy.

"Take it easy and wide turns. You're bigger than everyone but semis. Follow behind me and Colby will follow you. Keep your distance. The both of you."

She warned them, before pulling the tarp off the black Honda Shadow and grabbed the leather chaps she kept draped over the saddle of the iron horse. She fastened the waist strap and zipped the leg pieces together.

"How come neither of us get to ride the bike?"

Jimmy asked, while Gin zipped her fringed jacket, then placed her rental keys on a shelf in the Garage to leave for the landlord, then grabbed matching helmet that had a tinted visor and a dragon airbrushed on the side.

"Because Jim, neither of you have your motorcycle license."

She strapped the full-face helmet onto her head and mounted the bike.

"Remember what I said, follow me, but not too close. We'll stop every couple of hours."

Ginni's Honda roared to like as the two wranglers raced to get behind the wheel of their respective vehicles. The eight-cylinder engine growled to a low hum as Colby pushed the clutch and shifted into first.

And they were off.

The ride was long and Ginni was starting to get sore and exhausted. They had another four hours to go and the temperature had dropped drastically. Her fingers were becoming ice into her riding glovers. As long as the roads stayed dry, they'd be able to make it without having to wait out any storm.

It was dark by the time they reached Boseman. Gin had no desire to drive the road to the ranch in the dark, especially on the bike. They pulled off to the side of Main Street, the Yellowstone pickup trucks were all parked in a single file line all at a perfect angled park. It was Saturday night, all of the wranglers-lack of Jimmy had the morning off. Therefore, they all were winding down with their weeks' worth of Kentucky bourbon and buckle bunnies. The neon light sparkled against the dirty, aged brick. The Crystal bar has been open to the locals for over thirty years. Occasionally the Yellowstone boys would spend their nights off there rather than playing and gambling their wages away in poker.

The three met up together on the sidewalk before entering the bar. The air wreaked of must, sweat and alcohol. Music filled the atmosphere drowned out by the sounds of voices and the occasional eruption of billiard balls hitting each other.

It took Gin less than four minutes to identify all six wrangler's location, Ethan, Jake and Lloyd were hustling a game of pool. Ryan, Fred, and Gator were both drinking and watching the local folks sway around on the dance floor to the local cover band.

"Glad to see ya'll made it back!"

Lloyd was the first to notice the trio. He paused his game and walked closer to them.

"Yeah, traffic was not as bad as I thought it was going to be?"

He gave Gin a hug and then shook the two wrangler's hands before they made their way and ordered a round of Crown Royal.

"Anything exciting happen while I was gone?"

Gin asked after they tossed the whiskey to the back of their gullets. The aged alcohol burned her throat but warmed her soul after that long drive.

"Not a thing. Monday we'll be retrieving the herd from the pasture four and cut the cows to be tagged and branded."

Lloyd leaned on the bar with a beer stein occupying his right hand. He had a white felt hat sat tight on his head.

"Shit, If I'd know we were all going to be partying it up, I would have gussied up a little bit."

Ginni laughed while lifting her arms in a shrug and looking down at her old riding chaps a Pink Floyd t-shirt and leather coat. Her hair was in a single french braid, to keep it from whipping around in her face.

"You're pretty as ever Miss Dutton."

Lloyd smiled while pacing a grip on her shoulder.

"Now go chase that lucky cowboy, or cowboys..."

He kissed her cheek before walking back to the pool table where Ethan and Jake finished a game and Fred had joined them. Ginni's eyes scanned the crowd until they fell onto Ryan who was alone, in a trance as he smiled, sipping his beer and watching the bar flies. Ginni was about to make her move, just as a busty blonde made her way in front of Gin's line of vision and started talking to her target. If Ryan was going to go home with anyone tonight, it was going to be her. Not some buckle bunny who traveled in with herpes.

With her blue eyes locked on her prey, she swallowed the rest of her beer within three large gulps before handing Jimmy her coat and sauntered towards the dance floor. Ryan did not notice her approaching.

With her left hand she heavily poked the girl in the shoulder, who turned with a rabid sneer.

"I'm sorry love, but he's already spoken for the evening."

Gin had to put on her sickly-sweet mask.

"I was here first, sugar."

She had an accent that complied she was in fact new to Montana.

"No baby, I was."

Folding her arms, Gin slinked her hips to the left, then shot her eyes to the door giving the female a chance to exit the building.

"Well bless your heart, who do you think you are?"

She laughed while flipping her pale yellow, overly bleached ponytail over her shoulder.

Ginni narrowed her eyes and smirked.

"The names Dutton, nice to meet you."

If the girl was smart, she'd leave.

"Look lady, I don't give two shits and a dung beetle who you are. You can leave."

The blonde huffed her chest out. Pushing her fake breasts through the through a Mossy Oak tank top.

"Okay. I don't think you understand; I'm sure a little mud cricket like you is from, born and raised in a small, piss poor town like Grantsville, Utah or maybe Cheyenne, Wyoming. You moved your way up here hoping to find a rick cowboy and live happily ever after on his ranch?"

With one breath she put the broad into place. The competition was infact speechless, her eyes darted from Ginni's to Ryan's who was also speechless. But it was also he who broke the silence.

"Look, I do apologize, and I truly appreciate your advances, but Miss Dutton had first dibs, since I got here."

Their eyes met, his was stern while hers stormed with anger and rejection.

"Well, have a NICE night."

She said through gritted teeth, then turned on her heels and left.

"So cowboy, fancy seeing you here. Care to dance?"

The Dutton girl turned to face the handsome Yellowstone wrangler.

A bright smile spread across his face, their eyes were locked together, ignoring everyone around them.

"That was quite the performance, Miss Dutton. Didn't think you had a fiery side."

Ryan laughed as he held out his had to lead her to the dance floor.

"Mm... You have no idea how fiery I can be, I'm scorching."

Puckering her lips, she grabbed his hand with one hand and stole his dark hat off of his head and plopped it onto hers.

"Let's see your moves."

He laughed before spinning her into a free style swing. Everything disappeared around them while they danced, it felt as if no one was in the room. Just them and the music. Ryan spun her in every direction, every step was on beat, including the various flips he would toss her in. He was fluid like Kevin Bacon in Footloose and lead the dance like Patrick Swayze. His charisma discharged from his being like a grenade. Suave, sexy and exhilarating.

The song switched from a fat honky-tonk jam to a slow sultry ballad. Ryan pulled her close by the hips as they got into a waltz position, giving no room for Jesus.

"You know them boys are going to talk."

Gin motioned to the other wranglers who were preoccupied with their own festivities.

"Mmm... and who are they gonna tell, your daddy?"

He smirked before spinning her around. Gin could care less about her dad find out. She was an adult, made her own decisions and life choices. She proved it the first time, doesn't mean she won't do it again.

"We're just dancing, not much to tell him."

Gin pulled him in closer, their chests were so tightly pressed together, it would definitely give those gossiping ninnies something to talk about.

"Now if you were to kiss me, then that there, would cause for some gossip around the ranch."

She fluttered her lashes. With their lips mere inches away, hot breath tantalizing their skin, aching to be caressed.

Ryan swallowed hard. He wanted to; he really did. But risking his entire career and life just to taste her flesh was not something he had on his bucket list. Was Genevieve Dutton worth the risk? Would Mr. Dutton understand or would he beat him to a bloody pulp and send him to the train station. Ryan love being on the Livestock association, he had an exuberant amount of respect for his employer. Would this ruin everything?

His eyes surveyed the bar, checking to see if anyone was paying them any mind to them. All seven of the wranglers were directing their minds towards other patrons or their game of billiards.

Should he do it?

Ryan dipped his head low and captured Gin's lips with his. The kiss lasted no more than a few seconds, but both of their mouths tingled from the electricity that sparked between them.

"Woh."

Ginni stared at him with wide eyes, He had taken her by surprise, not that she protested. But it was the last thing she expected of him.

"Let's see if that caught their attention. I'm going to get a drink."

Ryan grinned wickedly, before leaving Ginni on the dancefloor and made his way to the bar to order another round. Genevieve stood there flabbergasted by his boldness. Her lips continued to buzz. For several moments she stood there gathering her thought, just as a loud whistled rattled her ears. She turned to view the culprit, who was Lloyd. Making a round up motion with his arm as he dragged Jimmy and Ethan out the door. It must have been close to midnight. Gin walked out of the bar to search for Jimmy, who had her coat. One by one the wranglers gather near the Yellowstone trucks.

"Lloyd, did you bring the truck with the ramps?"

Ginni asked, hoping they could load the motorcycle on to the truck.

"That we did Miss Dutton."

Lloyd motioned his head towards one of the vehicles.

"Excellent, I need that Honda Shadow strapped into the bed. I have no desire to leave it here."

Gin told him the plan.

"After that I'll take whoever wants to come, while Jimmy will continue to drive the U-Haul."

Lloyd whipping his head around to see the fifteen-foot box truck.

"You didn't stop at the ranch?"

Lloyd could not believe she had not told her father she had arrived back in Montana.

"Nah, it's too dark to take the bike up there."

Gin said, then turning to the wranglers.

"Ethan, Fred pull down the ramp and strap that bike in."

"Who gives you the right to tell us what to do?"

Fred protested as he swayed with intoxication.

"You're just some twobit, satanic transplant. A roach to society."

Without hesitation, Gin cocked her right arm back and forced her fist to land on the space between Fred's nose and cheek. The men started hollering for Fred to back off and drop it.

"In case you forgot; the name is Dutton."

Gin spat through her teeth, she had enough of Fred's smart mouth. After that she motioned for Jake to take his place and told Lloyd to stuff Fred in the truck until they were ready to roll.

It took roughly fifteen minutes for them to roll the bike up the utility ramps and secured it up right with straps. Once Gin felt comfortable with everything she turned to Lloyd.

"Lead the way, Jake will follow you, then myself in the Mustang and then Jimmy, with Gator tailing."

"You've got a Mustang too?"

Lloyd shook his head.

"Gotta have some type of hobby."

Ginni laughed, before pulling her keeps from her coat pocket.

"Need to have a steel horse in the city."

"Let's roll boys."

Lloyd laughed as well, instructing everyone to get in the vehicles.

"Want to ride with me, cowboy?"

Gin turned to Ryan, who was leaning on one of the trucks with his fists in his pockets. Her eyes were lowered to a sultry gaze as she waited for his response.

"Lead the way, Dutton."

He grinned, while tipping his hat.