mobster mash

sixteen

While Max owed a lot to the memory card situation, he was glad it was over. The dangerous part, at least. Athena’s confession was going to stay with him for a while. He was still sitting dazed on the couch when Michael appeared next to him and sat down.

He looked a little better after a shower and getting something decent to eat, but he was still warily looking at Max. Max couldn’t blame him. He wasn’t exactly a father’s dream come true. He looked down at his hands for a bit, then back up at Michael.

“Uh, are you doing okay?” Max asked.

“Very well,” he said. “Glad to be home. And you? You look a little pale.”

“Just tired, I guess.”

Michael didn’t seem convinced.

“Well, I should thank you for helping Athena find me,” he said. “She told me everything. Most everything. There’s some things I pieced together myself.”

“There are?”

“Your clothes are still in her bedroom.”

Max felt the blood drain from his face as he looked back down. To his surprise, Michael just chuckled and gave him a pat on the back.

“Relax, I’m not going to bite,” he said. “As long as you did good by her. Can’t say I love the thought of my little girl going off with any man, but if it has to happen, I’m glad it’s one that seems to care.”

“I do care,” Max said.

“I know,” Michael agreed. “No one else would go through all that hell for a project he has no involvement in.”

“Is it really a cure for Cryopane addictions?” Max asked.

“There’s no cure for addiction,” he shrugged. “Most of that responsibility lies in the hands of the addict. However this project, when it reaches completion, could be a great help to them.”

“It’s not done yet?”

“Unfortunately not.”

“I think it’s a great thing you’re doing,” Max said. “I wish I could help in some way.”

“Maybe you can,” Michael said, cracking a smile. “Well, I’m off to get some takeout. You’re staying for dinner, aren’t you? Of course you are. How does Chinese sound? You like sesame chicken? You look like a sesame chicken kind of guy.”

He left before Max had a chance to answer. Athena came out of the shower a little bit later. She seemed surprised to see Max still there.

“Where’s Dad?” she asked.

“He went to get something for dinner.”

“Not even five minutes and he’s back out trying to get kidnapped,” she scowled. “I can’t believe-“

“Hey, it’s okay,” Max said. “Leonard said we’re off the hook, right? It’s over.”

“Right,” she sighed, sitting down next to him. “It’s over.”

They were quiet for a few moments, until she spoke up again.

“You haven’t left yet,” she noted.

“No,” he said. “I can if you want me to.”

“Do you want to?”

“Definitely not.”

She seemed a little relieved when he said that, relaxing her shoulders.

“I didn’t think it was possible to fall in love so quick,” Max continued, “But here we are. I’m crazy for you, Athena. I’m still wearing your scrunchie on your wrist.”

“Blue suits you,” she said.

“Maybe we’re both a little crazy,” he shrugged. “But I want to see it through. I want to build on these feelings. Preferably in a setting where we’re not fearing for our lives.”

“Are you asking me out on a date, Maxie?”

“A real date,” he said. “Maybe somewhere other than a diner with judgy waitresses.”

She laughed softly, then leaned in to pull him into a deep kiss.

“I’d like that very much.”