mobster mash

four

Max wasn't sure what to think. He just stared at Athena as she bustled about the room, still holding the ice pack to his nose. He supposed he could have told her to fuck off, but she had been nice to him and she looked really upset. Besides, he would feel bad if he walked away without helping. These doctors really gave up a lot in helping people like him.

Still, he wasn't sure how much he could help when it came to Red Queen. The Hellhounds were big, but she was bigger. She wasn't selling drugs on street corners. She was filthy rich and owned most of Cerora. The Hellhounds weren't an enemy of hers, but they weren't exactly a friend either. And Max's association with them was all he really had.

He set the ice pack to the side and stood up, blocking Athena's way as she paced and putting his hands on her shoulders to stop her. He pulled his hood off and pushed his black hair back so she could see his face a little better and he could give her a reassuring look.

"It's your turn to take a deep breath," he told her.

She nodded and tried to do so, though her breath was shaky. Her eyes were damp, and Max could tell she was trying not to cry in front of him.

"We have to go quick," she said. "What time is it?"

"Late."

"How late?"

"Very."

She huffed and shuffled through the papers in her hand until she found one in particular.

"2377 Marlin Avenue," she said. "Do you know where that is?"

"Marlin?" Max asked. "Sure. That's the cryopane district, though. What do you need there?"

"Herman Luther," she said. "My dad gets a lot of our medical equipment from him, and recently let him know that his latest price hike was a little too high. If there was someone who is into technology and has a reason to be mad, it's him."

"Right... but you want to go to the cryopane district," Max repeated.

She seemed to hear him the second time, because her expression turned a little nervous. Cryopane was a fairly new street drug, and a dangerously addictive one. It came in a frozen form and was put in fruity drinks to mask the bitter taste, and usually made the user's mind go totally smooth and blank. It was highly addictive, with users going to very violent lengths to get their fix. There was even a rumor that cannibalism was one of the withdrawal symptoms.

"We won't spend too much time in the streets," Athena said after a few moments. "We're just visiting Herman to ask him some questions. He'll be awake."

Max was reluctant, but she wasn't going to change her mind and he couldn't let her go somewhere dangerous on her own. The district was walking distance, so he stayed close to her as she rushed in the direction of the address they had.

This Herman Luther lived in one of the sketchy apartment buildings. Athena and Max kept their heads down and tried not to look directly at any of the cryopane addicts wandering the streets. Athena glanced over her shoulder to make sure Max was still there before pushing Herman's apartment number on the call box. It buzzed a couple times before a voice sounded.

"Who'sit?" a gruff voice said.

"Herman?" Athena said. "It's me. Athena Winters."

"I told your dad I only deal with him," Herman said. "I don't make transactions with little girls."

"I'm not here to buy anything, I just want to talk," she said.

"This neighborhood is for commerce," he said. "Go home."

She tried to protest, but he hung up the phone. She mashed the buzz button a few more times, but he was ignoring it now. Athena sighed in defeat and shoved her hands into her pockets. She looked like she was about to tear up again, and was startled when an addict a couple streets over let out a drugged up shriek.

They stood there quietly for a couple minutes while Athena tried to come up with a new idea.

"Maybe we can climb up the side of the building?" she suggested. "It's the third floor, it shouldn't be... that hard?"

"There's spikes on the walls to prevent that," Max pointed out. "It's to prevent break-ins. Not that desperate people don't find a way."

"Ugh. Shit."

"Why doesn't he like you?" Max asked.

"He never had any respect for me," she scoffed. "He thinks I'm too young to be in this kind of work. But now I'm suspicious he knows something about my dad."

Max chewed on his lip for a moment. He still wasn't sure if he wanted to be involved in this mess, but it looked like he was already involved. He looked over at some addicts wandering the streets, then back at Athena.

"Stay by the door and don't say anything," he told her. "I think I have an idea."

He put his hood up and rubbed at his eyes to make them look puffy and red, then buzzed Herman's apartment again.

"Who is it?!" his voice snapped again.

"H-hey!" Max said, making his voice sound raspy and shaky. "This is... Is this L-luther?"

"Who's asking?"

"My buddy says you can help me out," Max said. "I need s-some medicine. I'm v-very sick."

"Don't have any medicine."

"I have c-cash."

He heard some shuffling from the speaker, then took a few steps back and looked up to see that Herman was looking down at him from his balcony. Max made a point to look like he was in pain, scratching anxiously at his wrists and neck.

"Please man, I'm desperate!" he cried out.

"Shut up, you'll wake the whole neighborhood!" Herman snapped. "Come up quick."

Athena looked almost amazed when the front door opened. Max held the door open for her with a smug smile.

"How did you know he sold drugs?" she asked.

"He lives in a shitty area and only cares about money," Max shrugged. "I doubt he sells medical supplies because he cares about low income healthcare."

"Should I be worried that you can play a cryopane addict so well?"

"I'm clean," he chuckled. "Well, except for the painkillers. But you gave me those, so that's on you."

She almost smiled as she hurried up the stairs and to the apartment they were looking for. Max had been around addicts his entire life, and he knew how to play the withdrawal symptoms well. He knocked on Herman's door and stood in front of Athena so she couldn't be seen through the peephole.

Herman opened the door a crack to look at him, eyeing Max up and down. He was a short and stout older man, and Max could smell the odor of at least a week without a shower. From what he could see of the apartment, it looked like he was a hoarder too.

"Got the money?" Herman asked.

"I'm good for it," Max said. "You got the cryo?"

"Yeah, I just-"

He opened the door to let Max in, then saw Athena standing there. His eyes widened and he tried to slam the door on them, but Max blocked it with his foot. He forced the door back open and made Herman stumble back a couple steps.

"What the hell is this?" Herman snapped.

"Athena would like to talk to you," Max said, his voice taking a more threatening tone now. "Clear a seat for her. And she'd like a glass of ice water."

Herman looked more scared of Max now, especially when Max's hand drifted to his jacket with the implication that he had some sort of weapon hidden there. He had a switchblade, but he didn't intend on using it all willy nilly. Not that Herman needed to know that.

Herman backed up and let Athena into the apartment as he hurried to get the glass of water. She looked at Max and blinked a few times. He gave her a firm nod and lowered his voice so only she could hear him.

"Do what you need to do," he told her. "I have your back. And drink the water, you need it."

She lifted her head to look more confident as she took the glass from Herman and sat down with him. Max stayed close behind her and kept his gaze on Herman.

"Alright," Athena said finally. "Now that we have your attention, I have some questions."