crybaby ghost writer

nine

Tara didn't know what to expect from revealing her secret to someone other than her brother. It was a relief, like a massive weight had been lifting from her shoulders. It was also a plus that the person she shared it with was just as enthusiastic as she was. And handsome. Very handsome.

She found herself staring at him while he was focused on things, then turned bright red and looked away before he noticed her. She kept his drawing tucked carefully in the back of her research journal to protect it. He probably would have thought Tara was being silly if he knew she was acting like a schoolgirl around him. Not to mention he would probably back out of the expedition and be uncomfortable around her.

After some time on the sea, they had to stop at a small port town to resupply before they could make the rest of the trip to Kerelia. Tara went up on deck to admire the view of the town. It was tiny, but seemed charming.

"Miss Palmer, good morning."

Tara turned to find Captain Montanez approaching her with a smile. She smiled back and nodded politely.

"Good morning, Captain," she greeted.

"I hope the journey has been comfortable for you thus far," he said.

"Yes, very much," she said. "I appreciate you joining us on this somewhat crazy mission. Nick speaks very highly of you."

"Does he now?" Captain Montanez chuckled. "Well, I've known him a long time. And it seems you two have been getting to know each other as of recent, too."

"He's nice to talk to," Tara said quietly, knowing it must have looked strange to someone who didn't know who she really was.

"You two get along, do you?"

"Yes," Tara said. "I- I mean I think so. Maybe? M-maybe he's just being nice."

"Oh, I don't think so," he said. "He doesn't waste his time around people he doesn't like. Your brother, for instance. No offense."

"William," Tara grimaced. "He's not easy to be around, is he?"

"Well, it seems he's serving his purpose," he shrugged. "He's found some friends among the crew, it seems. They've been playing drinking games."

"As long as he's serving his purpose and not causing trouble, I suppose it's alright."

"I'm starting to think one of you was switched at the hospital at birth," Captain Montanez said. "Can't imagine someone that rowdy to be related to a lovely, soft spoken woman like you."

"You flatter me," Tara said, trying not to break into a wide grin at the compliment.

They chatted for a little while longer until Nick joined them with some of his maps tucked under his arm.

"Captain," he greeted. "I recharted some of our maps, and I'm hoping you can navigate us to the north shore of Kerelia's jungles. See, I mapped it-"

"Thank you, Mr. Thatch," Captian Montanez interrupted, taking the maps. "I actually was hoping you can do something for me. I'd like you to go into town and get some supplies."

"Supplies?" Nick frowned. "Can't you get a cabin boy to do it? I have work to do here."

"No," the captain said simply. "I need you to do it. And take Miss Palmer with you."

"On an errand run?"

"Be a gentleman," he scolded. "Miss Palmer is longingly looking at the town from deck and no one has offered to give her a tour yet."

"Oh," Nick said, blinking a couple times and looking at Tara. "I mean... yes. Of course. If you would like to."

"That sounds lovely," Tara said. "I'm quick with errands, we'll be back in no time so you can get back to your work."

"Don't be too quick with it now," Captain Montanez chuckled. "Have fun."

Nick watched him leave, then skeptically looked over the list.

"It's just basic stuff," he mumbled. "Strange request, but I suppose I should pull my weight. Shall we?"

He offered Tara his arm as they deboarded the ship, and she could hardly look at him as she took his arm. As expected, the minimal errands didn't take long. They were finished with the supply run by noon, but it seemed a shame to go back to work again when the charming little town was so inviting.

They found a little seaside bistro to go to for lunch, with a table overlooking the water. Tara ordered a bowl of fresh clam chowder that smelled so good, it took everything in her to take dainty little spoonfuls instead of shoveling it into her mouth.

Tara noticed Nick looking at her with a slight smile playing on his lips. She instinctively lifted her napkin to wipe at her mouth in case some soup was on her face, but there was nothing there.

"I can tell you're hungry," he said. "You can eat, Tara. You don't have to be ladylike or dainty around me if you don't want to."

"Don't you like ladies to be ladylike?" she asked.

"I like ladies to be whoever they want to be," Nick said plainly. "My mother was always unapologetically herself."

"My grandmother always told me to be a lady or no one would ever marry me," Tara said. "She never liked how much time I spent reading, which is why I did all my studies in secret. In front of her, I was always the polite lady, better seen and not heard. Not that she ever paid me much attention."

"Your grandmother raised you?"

"My mother dropped William and I with her when I was only a baby," Tara explained. "He doesn't remember much of her, either. Apparently motherhood was too much, especially being an unwed mother, so she dumped us with our grandmother and ran away. My grandmother really only had room in her heart for one grandchild, so she picked the charming and pretty one. Will was always the golden child."

"Not getting to know you is a big loss to your family," Nick said. "Somehow I'm not surprised that William was a spoiled kid."

"It's alright," Tara shrugged. "She passed away about five years ago. I didn't bother going to the funeral. I wasn't even invited. And I think my mother married and has another family. No use lingering on them."

"So you never had any fun as a kid?"

"I had some toys," Tara said. "I always wanted one of those lookalike dolls, and I made one myself out of cloth and yarn since my grandmother wouldn't commission a real one from a toymaker. I still enjoyed playing with it, though."

"That simply won't do," Nick said. "We can have some fun today. Make up for lost time. What do you say?"

"Don't you have work to do on the ship?"

"Work will still be there."

Tara was wringing her napkin in her lap so tightly that she was sure it was going to start hurting her palms.

"Sure. Sounds... fun."