The Knights of The Sun and Moon

One: Our Mortal Coil

Long ago, the land of Alethia and its four High Kingdoms sat in the sun and moon’s glistening light but all that changed when a strange darkness invaded the hills, snuck into the valleys, ate through castle walls, and devoured the souls of the living.
Only those chosen by an ancient order of the Sun and Moon, known as the Knights, can put a stop to the darkness and bring balance back to Alethia but there is trouble brewing in the Kingdoms and fear is at an all-time high and the spell casted shields won’t hold for much longer.

Erikk, newly nineteen, walks down the long halls of Alethia’s Newscomb Kingdom. With each mirror he passes on the walls, he glimpses his reflection. Once put together, and bound for the greatest University in all the land, all that changed though when the darkness came. Now, he’s a bit less preppy, and more battle worn in the long fight against the soulless; terrible creatures, empty bodies of the once living.
After the death of his family, he found himself wandering the Townlands just below the Newscomb castle which sits perched high atop a mountain. Found by Royal guards, he quickly rose high in the ranks, becoming one of the Queen’s protectors.
Erikk stops, looks at himself in one of the many mirrors, then smooths back his short brown hair. He adjusts his sword on his back, makes sure his pistol is in check, and blows a puff of air into his hand then sniffs, just to see if his breath is suitable to be around the Queen. He tries to wipe the dirt and blood from his face but it’s futile. He desperately needs a bath, or a shower, or anything to cleanse the dirt from his body.
“Erikk.” A guard calls out from the Queen’s throne room. He and two others keep the door safe from harm. “She’s ready for you.”
The doors open slowly then close behind him as he steps over the threshold. In a golden chair across the room is the Queen. She’s young, around Erikk’s age. She has bright blonde hair pulled back into a regal bun and a blue silk dress that scrapes against the marble flooring. She stands with a smile on her bright red lips.
“Dearest, Erikk. I’m glad you’ve come.”
“I would never miss a call from my best friend.” He bows a bit then looks at her with concern. “What is it?”
“I fear there isn’t much time, Erikk, and I cannot see a future on the horizon if we do not hurry. I know your powers have grown but I’m sending you to lands beyond Alethia to finish your training.”
“Do you sense the darkness coming through the shield?” He asks with curiosity.
“Yes. It grows stronger with each passing day.” She rests her hands on his shoulders. “I am sorry we haven’t properly readied you all for what’s coming, but I do wish you good luck.”
He nods with a faint smile, “Thank you.”
“I’ll have my driver take you to the docks tonight. There you’ll meet with the other Knights.”
“Stay well, my friend.” He turns to the door.
She flashes a worrying smile to his back as he leaves the room. She takes her place on the throne just as the doors shut behind him. He leans against an open window and looks out over the Kingdom and the bright blue wall that towers into the clouds and protects everything in Newscomb. Erikk sighs almost loud enough for the Throne guards to hear him.



Strikingly beautiful brown high-heeled boots tap anxiously against the smooth wooden floor that makes up the top deck of an Alethian war ship. Leaning against the railing is Solara, her arms crossed as she looks out over the moonlight's reflection in the ocean beneath them. She tucks a loose strand of brown hair behind her ear.
Since they departed the Newscomb docks, it’s been quiet. None of the magical teens have interacted with each other. They’ve given quick glances at one another but not even a simple, “Hello.”
“Alright!” A man calls out from across the boat. He throws up his hands in defeat. “I guess I’ll be the first one to talk. Hi, my name is Dru.” He’s a jock type, tall, brown hair that hangs just below his chin, with half pulled into a loose bun.
Erikk sighs, “I’m Erikk.”
“Solara.”
Across the boat, leaning against the wall of the driver's cabin is a girl, with a book in hand. She closes it then steps forward into the glimmering moonlight. She has long gray, almost silver, braids pulled back into a tight pony-tail that cascades down her back.
“I’m Anessa.” She says with a confidence like her name is meant to be known throughout the lands.
Dru claps his hands together, “Well, now that we know each other. Anyone know where exactly we’re going?”
“Here,” Solara pulls out something from her bag. It’s spherical and its golden color shines bright through engraved letters. She throws it up into the air and a brilliant light shoots out from it as it opens.
“A wayfinder.” Erikk says in awe.
“My mother gifted it to me before she died.” The sphere hovers in the middle of the boat and the group gather around it. Inside the wayfinder is a topographic map in hologram form and high in the mountains surrounded by a thick forest and jungle is an X.
“Eco-Taj?” Dru asks.
“A city made from beautiful stone nestled on the mountain tops. Sits protected in Plansong’s jungles.” The boat Captain moves from the cabin and onto the deck. “There’s many places outside Alethia you don’t know of. Before the darkness came, we would travel the world but now it is too risky.”
“Papa used to tell stories about how he and my mother would cross the open sea to explore distant lands. I could see him longing for the days in his eyes.” Solara frowns, saddened by the thought of her mom.
“How much longer until landfall?” Anessa asks as she observes the wayfinder.
“Not much longer now.” The Captain sighs, “You all should get some rest down below.”



Lightning cracks across the sky and waves pound furiously against the side of the boat, tossing it around like it’s nothing but a bug in strong wind. The Captain bursts into the lower decks, he’s soaked from the downpour and breathing hard. His eyes dart around, scanning each room before he yells, “EVERYONE UP!”
The group pour out into the hall, all dressed in their nightclothes, all confused in their sleepy state.
“What’s going on?” Erikk asks as he tries to wipe the tiredness from his eyes.
“They’re here!” The Captain turns to head back up the stairs but he stops and takes a deep breath, he doesn’t want to return but he has a job to do and that is to get everyone to land safely.
“I thought the soulless couldn’t cross water?” Anessa looks at the Captain confused.
“Not the soulless that are out there I’m afraid. The Tethered awaits us above.”
The group look around at each other. The tethered? None of them have even heard of such a thing.
“What…what are tethered?” Erikk closes in on the Captain, almost demanding him to tell them.
“There’s no time!” He spats back. “Come now!”
Rain patters against the wood with rhythmic taps and the moon that once shone bright is stuck behind a blanket of thick clouds. One by one they join on the main deck and prepare for something to come, something they’ve never seen or heard of.
Lightning veins across the sky and what little light brightens the area, something is revealed. This something is in the form of a person, a body, in a thick black shadow with particles that almost resemble dust and connected to it, shooting up into the unknown is a…tether.
“There!” Dru yelps. He points to the shadowy figure hovering in the air.
Solara leaps out of the way as another tethered slowly passes by.
“Don’t let them get you!” The Captain yells through the window of his cabin. “They will eat your soul and you do not want that happening at all!”
“Boulder!” Anessa points into the darkness. The boat is headed straight for a field of sharp rocks and there’s no stopping.
The Captain’s eyes widen as he turns the wheel, yanks down a lever, and pushes a plethora of multicolored buttons. The boat yanks to the side, turning suddenly, and soaking the top deck with a wave of lukewarm sea water. “Hold on!”
The boat smashes against the rocks, splitting it in half, flinging the group deep into the stormy water below. The waves toss them around, shove them against the boulders, then out into open water.
“Erikk!” Dru grabs him as his lifeless unconscious body floats by. “I got you.” He whispers softly, trying to keep him and Erikk afloat. A wave hits them, pulling them under but suddenly a bubble of air forms around their heads, letting them breathe. It’s Solara, using her power as the water tugs her underneath.
She reaches for the surface, they all do, but none of them are strong enough to push through the relentless water hellbent on dragging them down. All fades to black for them. One by one the water takes them.


Newscomb’s Queen sits on her throne. She’s clothed differently, not in her usual dress but in something someone would wear for wartime. Two men come from both corners of the room and attach shining silver armor to her shoulders.
“You should not do this, my Queen.” Ivan, her Royal advisor, says with a sternness in his voice.
“I shan't sit by while my Kingdom falls in disrepair at the hands of the Being of Extinction.” She stands from her throne, her hair pulled back, armor donned, and a bright gold glowing sword adorned to her hip.
“What if you were to perish?!” He pleads.
“Then I shall perish protecting my people, Ivan. I know what must be done and I will fight until my very last breath.” She heads to the doors.
“I do not condone this behavior!” He spats.
The Queen slowly turns to him. “I will forget what you’ve said but watch your tongue. I do not answer to anyone.”
“When you perish in battle, who will be here to take your throne?”
She closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, and begins to speak with poise through her anger. “If I shall fall in battle, then the monarchy will fall with me and a vote will be cast for the next leader of Newscomb.”
Ivan grits his teeth. Through all his missteps, his screw-ups, and his spiteful tongue, the Queen continues to be a beacon of bright light that almost annoys him but he can’t help admire her.
She pushes through the doors. At the very end of the hallway stands a man doused in all black. Underneath his eyes are drips of black, like he’s been crying out tears of tar. She tops in her tracks and slowly pulls out her blade. She’s face to face with the Extinction Being.
“You’ve been hiding behind these walls for quite some time now.” His voice is deep and has what seems to be a natural echo to it.
“I do not hide behind walls.” Her sword glows bright and hums with power. “I shall face you, right here.”
“Then you are asking for death. Why not join me?”
“Ending this world is not up to me, and it should not be up to you either.”
“But it is. I was given a gift. I was created for this. I’m here to bring about the extinction of the human race and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop it.”
“Try me.” She throws out her right arm and a device attached to her wrist opens up into a shield with the same glow and hum as her sword.
He closes his eyes and with a swift flick of his fingers, three tethered manifest and charge toward her. She dodges each one, sliding across the floor and ending with a quick spin on her knees. She leaps up, slicing each of the tethered’s cords, separating them from their plane of existence.
“Not bad.” He smirks and vanishes into thin air then reappears behind her.
She’s quicker than him though. She twists around and slices her sword across his cheek. He throws a punch which she blocks with her shield with ease but it shatters on impact.
“I will not falter.” She says through clenched teeth. She kicks him back, swings her sword, and…misses.
The man grabs her by the throat and slams her against the wall. He lifts her up and stares into her eyes with a smirk. Suddenly he’s thrown to the other end of the hall by a bright blast of yellow. The Queen falls to her knees just as her Royal guards come to her rescue.
“We have to get you out of here.” One says, helping her to her feet.
“No, I must stay and protect the Kingdom!”
“My Queen, look beyond the window, the soulless have entered the Townlands, you must leave!”
She turns to the window and looks out over the village below. Fire and smoke choke the streets and the magical wall that once protected them is slowly starting to crack and chip away.
“This is an order.” He has a seriousness stretched across his face.
“My Kingdom will fall…” She says with a whimper.
“It can be rebuilt, my Queen.”
“So it shall.”