The Knights of The Sun and Moon

Three: Tethered

A light mist covers the ground as the horses make their way along a cobblestone path. The gates of Eco-Taj open slowly to a man in a white robe. He smiles and holds out his arms.
“Welcome. I am Hanzo.” He turns, then waves them along.
Through the gate, a large fountain sits in the middle of four crossroads, the city center. The cobblestone path turns to smooth stone and the population booms with excitement. Beautiful cherry blossoms line the streets, and the thick jungle towers around Eco-Taj’s walls.
“I can’t believe there’s places like this outside Alethia…” Erikk says softly.
“You’d be surprised what things lie beyond Alethia.” Hanzo responds with a smirk. “Now, you’ll be shown to your home. I understand some of your things were damaged in the wreck of your boat. You’ll find new clothing and some other things at your residence. There’s a ball tonight that I hope you’ll all attend.” They all nod in agreement. A ball sounds like the perfect way to relax after a stressful journey to Eco-Taj.



The two level luxury home sits just outside the town, nestled between two large cherry blossoms. Inside, the group find their new belongings and some of their old, tucked into four large mahogany chests sat just inside the doorway and on top are brand new Astoris’ which makes them all eager. Erikk doesn’t even open his chest, he takes the device quickly and attaches it to the side of his head, just above his right ear. He slides his finger across it and it hums to life with a mechanical woman’s voice saying “Neural Transmitter Activated.”
A purple globular holographic interface projects around him. Floating in the air are multiple holo screens only seen by him inside his bubble. He scrolls quickly through until he spots an urgent message…from the Queen. He closes the hologram around him, whatever she has to tell him should be shared with the whole group.
“What’s wrong?” Dru asks, noticing the concern in his face.
“I have a message from Newscomb’s Queen.” Erikk runs his finger across his device and a holographic image of the Queen projects onto the floor. It’s almost lifelike except for the hardly noticeable blue hue that surrounds her.
“Erikk,” She starts with his name, and it sounds like a dire calling. “Newscomb has fallen. Your Astoris is disconnected, I have no way of telling if you’ve reached the lands of Plansong or not but I have hope in you. The Extinction Being has made its presence known and won…” She sighs and sniffles. “Erikk, I have never been at a loss before. I am unsure what I need to do next but I will fight back…until I see you again, stay safe.” A silence falls over them as the hologram disappears.
“How are we to party at a ball tonight knowing this?” Solara asks, disgusted at the thought of having a decent night out while others are struggling.
“I don’t know.” Erikk sighs, he collapses onto the chest and takes his head into his hands. Everything is hitting him at once. The Kingdom he’s so desperately fought to protect is now in mere ruins.
“Let’s continue with the night, then in the morning we’ll discuss a plan with Hanzo.” Dru says softly, laying a hand on Erikk’s shoulder. “We should enjoy the time that we can. We don’t know if tomorrow is promised.”



Soft music plays gently as the ball commences with bright blues, reds, and deep violets, in the fabrics of long dresses and fitted suits. Violins mixed with the soothing sound of a piano in the distance makes for a slow dance which Dru isn’t all that versed in. He watches Solara and Erikk move back and forth, longing for intimacy.
“You like her, don’t you?” Anessa asks, walking forward. Her hair is in a neat bun with an ornate golden hair stick to keep it in place.
“I uh…no. Not her.” He says softly. He flashes a smile as Erikk’s eyes meet his for a brief second.
Anessa gives his arm a reassuring squeeze, “I think he’d like you back.” She nods, gaining Solara’s attention.
“Yes?” Solara moves through the crowd, stopping when she reaches Anessa.
“I think we should let these two dance.” She points to Dru and Erikk.
Solara smirks, “I see. Well, Dru. He is all yours.”
He mouths “Thank you,” to Anessa before he moves inward, his eyes set on Erikk.
“Dru.” Erikk says with shock. He looks up at him, staring deep into his bright blue eyes.
“Shall we dance?”
Erikk’s face flushes red with embarrassment. He looks away for a split second then nods, “We shall.”
The two pull each other close, the vibrance of their ball clothing meshing together into a bouquet of color. Dru rests his chin on the top of Erikk’s head, he’s just tall enough to do so. The music slowly starts to move into a different tempo, a faster one.
“I guess we’ll have to save our slow dance for later.” Dru smiles a bit, he pushes Erikk out, grabs his arm then twirls him back in. The two share a laugh before the music abruptly stops…a scream.
“The storm!” A woman screeches. “It’s right outside!”
“Storm?” Hanzo pushes his way to the front of the crowd. “What is this storm you speak of? Rain is normal here.”
“No, this is no normal storm. Come look!”
“Everyone stay inside!” Hanzo says to the party goers. “Dru, Erikk, Anessa, Solara.” He nods his head to the doors. “Let’s go.”
Outside the wind howls, bending the trees, and whistling through alleyways. The sky, blacked out with a thick substance almost like tar and coming down from it, a spout. Dark rain pelts the buildings, covering them and the ground in a blanket of black.
“What the hell is that, Hanzo?!” Erikk asks, watching the rain collect.
“A tethered storm..” Hanzo gulps hard. “If tethered come through here and attack our people…it will not end well.”
“What does that mean?”
Hanzo turns to Erikk. “Tethered consume humans. The more they eat, the stronger they are. This places would be reduced to ash."
“I think it’s going to be reduced to something, Hanzo!” Solara yells. She points up to the spout which has now made landfall, sucking everything up into its tar.
“It’s coming!” Anessa yelps. “What can we do?!”
“We need to get everyone to the bunker!” Hanzo stands frozen in place, his eyes glued to the spinning darkness.
“There’s no time!” Dru gasps.
The town before them, destroyed in just a few seconds.
“For the love of everything, RUN!” Solara yelps as she takes off into a frantic sprint. She doesn’t look back, just keeps pushing forward as screams echo behind her.
Solara stumbles but quickly regains her balance just as a lamp post crashes in front of her. She leaps over it, then back into running. She isn’t even sure if Erikk and the others are still behind her and at the moment, she doesn’t really even care. A large wall towers before her, stopping Solara in her tracks. She looks back at the incoming tidal wave of dark ooze as it splashes against her shoes. In an instance, gooey hands explode from the ground and grab at her ankles, she begins to sink down.
The storm began quickly and it ended just as fast. It left a long stretch of black tar in its wake…and the protectors vanished into the inky abyss.