The Knights of The Sun and Moon

Five: The Hydrocon

“Three hundred years ago, the Hydrocon was bestowed upon one person. This device was embedded into their body until death, giving them power like no other to triumph over evil. The Order of The Knights were formed to pass on the Hydrocon until one day, the current barer decided when she died, the Hydrocon would be broken and shared with four people, instead of one.”
“But wouldn’t that divide its power, make it less? Erikk asks, listening intently.
“That’s what the Order thought too but somehow, the Hydrocon’s pieces each formed into one whole device.” Cartae’s eyes widened with the image of such power.
“That’s incredible.” Erikk stopped for a second to think. “So, that’s what’s in me? Causing my power?”
Cartae nods, “And the Extinction Being wants that power. He will destroy our world then use the Hydrocon’s power to make anew.” He looks away, his eyes heavy. “The Order was wiped out shortly after the darkness came. They were lucky to get the Hydrocon to you all.”
“I’m guessing that’s why we never received proper training.”
“You’re correct.” Cartae sighs, “With the Order gone, there were no others that really understood the power of the Knights.”
“I can’t believe I didn’t know any of this…the reason I have power, what’s inside of me. None of it said.”
Cartae takes a deep breath. “There’s no time to sit and wonder what could’ve been. He’s coming, and he will do whatever it takes to get his hands on your powers. He could rip the Hydrocon straight out of you with ease.”
“You act like he’s a divine being.” Erikk says, swallowing a lump in his throat.
“I’m not sure what he is, Erikk.”
“I need to find my friends.” Erikk slumps down and wipes a single tear from his eye. “But I don’t even know where I’d begin to look.”
“Use your power.” Cartae grabs his shoulders and looks into his eyes. “Use what the Hydrocon has given you, Erikk.”
“How?”
“It’ll come to you. You’ll know. And once you locate them, show them what you have learned.”
Erikk takes in what Cartae is saying but his mind doubts him. How is he supposed to just use a power he’s never even practiced or done before. He’s just learned about the Hydrocon, everything feels so new to him.. Like he’s having to learn about himself all over again.
He closes his eyes and focuses on each of his friends. How lost he is, how lost they probably are, and how the Hydrocon connects them all, gives them the power to fight and protect their world. A circle in his back begins to glow bright orange and hum. Finally, he’s unlocking the true potential of the device. He’s never tapped in before, mainly because he hadn’t known a thing about it.
He sees each of his friends. Solara riding a speeder through tethered lands, Anessa acquiring new bladed war fans created just for her by a man that saved her after the tornado, and Dru…sitting on the water’s edge, his feet in the sand. Suddenly, all their backs begin to glow, and images and memories from each and every barer floods their minds. Erikk has unlocked the past, the Knight’s past, the Order’s past…all of it entering their minds with flashes of knowledge.
Then, nothing. It’s over. Erikk’s eyes shoot open and his chest pumps from intense breathing. He looks over at Cartae who has a smile on his face, like he knew that all this would happen if Erikk just gave it a little push.
“I know where they are, and they know everything now.”
“I know we haven't been acquainted very long but I’m proud of you and all that you just achieved.” Cartae gives him a pat on the back.
“Thank you.” Erikk says awkwardly.
“Go, find your friends.” Cartae shoos him from the room. “We’ll be okay here.”
“Are you sure?”
He nods. “Yes, I’m positive. Just remember, you have all the power you need.”



“I know this is hard for you.” A voice calls out to Dru. He sits in the sand at a small colony called “Water’s Edge.” He turns to the voice but there’s no one around, it speaks to him in his head. “You have a lot of self doubt.”
“I don’t.” He whispers back, slightly annoyed. He jumps to his feet. “Who are you?! Get out of my head!”
A man appears before him, slowly forming a body from black butterflies twirling around. “You’ve not heard of me? They call me Creation.”
“The Extinction Being…” Dru watches as he circles around him.
“I never liked that. I’m more of a Divine being.” He smirks. “Call me Gabriel.”
“Why are you here?”
“I come with an offering.” He looks into Dru’s eyes. “Join me. Together we could change the world, make it our own.”
Dru grits his teeth, “I’ll never join you. You’re scum. You think you’re divine, you’re not.”
“You’ll change your mind soon enough. You have power and you’re afraid to use it, child. But I can teach you and make you stronger than you could even imagine.”
“And betray my friends? The people I love? How could I?”
“For power…you’d do anything. Give it a thought, Dru.” Suddenly he fizzles away, as quickly as he came, he went.
Dru drops back down onto the ground, his barefeet in the sand. He thinks about Gabriel’s words, what they mean…power. He doesn’t want power, he just wants to know how to control it. Before Erikk’s “awakening” Dru hadn’t even known anything about the Hydrocon, just that he was a chosen as a Knight and the power he had came to him naturally. There’s a lot of people in this world that can wield supernatural gifts but this one, it isn’t supernatural…it’s like a power from the heavens. That’s the only way Dru can even begin to explain it in his mind.
Dru makes his way into Water’s Edge, the town is bustling with traders from all over, displaced by the crisis happening all across the world. The smell of food fills the air and overlapping voices echo throughout the street, there’s a man in red silks selling premium clothing. It makes Dru heave in disgust, how could anyone be out here swindling these poor people with everything going on?
“Dru!” A voice calls out. He spins around to see Anessa. She looks at him with a wide smile, happy to see someone else. It’s been two weeks since the tornado now, and other than Erikk activating the Hydrocon, they haven’t heard or seen each other. They push through the crowd, their excitement increasing with each step closer to one another until they collapse into each other’s arms.
“It feels like it’s been forever!” She exclaims, almost weeping into his shoulder.
“I know. I’m glad you’re okay.” He pulls away, unsure if he should tell her about his encounter with Gabriel.
Anessa looks into his eyes, noticing them heavy with thought. “What’s wrong?”
“N-Nothing.” He smiles, trying to convince her but he’s not sure if it’s working. “Just glad to see you!”
“Uh-huh. Have you heard from the others? My astoris shorted out in the tornado.”
“No, mine was too.”
“Maybe we can get it fixed here.” She says as she looks around at the many shops. “I’m sure one of these people can help.”
With the sun gone and the moon high in the sky, the bustling should’ve died down but Water’s Edge is as lively as ever. There’s a large party out on the sand bar with dancing and music. It’s almost as if everything is somewhat normal.
“Here you go. Looks like they just needed a tune up. Nothing damaged.” A man says, handing Dru and Anessa’s astoris devices back to them.
“Thank you.” They walk away from the stall and Anessa turns to Dru. “Should we join the party? It sounds like fun over there.”
“Ah, I don’t-no thanks. Not tonight. I think I need some sleep. Go and have fun though!” Dru slowly walks off, leaving Anessa behind.
Anessa runs her finger across the astoris and the interface opens up. Everyone’s devices are online and working, she takes a sigh of relief and switches the globular hologram around her to silent, just so no wandering ears can hear her conversation. She presses on Erikk and Solara .
“Anessa!” Solara says with a yelp. “Glad to see you’re alive.”
“Same with you both!” She laughs a bit. “I’m contacting you both because I’m worried about Dru.”
“Worried how?” Erikk asks, his voice calm.
“Like he’s hiding something. I’m sorry, Erikk. I know you’re fond of him but he’s been acting different.”
Suddenly behind her at the party, a vortex of fire shoots into the air, sending a frenzy of people and screams in every direction. Anessa looks back at the crowd and swallows hard.
“I’ll have to leave it there. Something is happening. You two be safe and I hope to see you both again soon.”
“Be careful, Anessa.” Solara signs off, then Erikk.
She closes the hologram around her then heads toward the party. Endless waves of scared faces sprint by her, bump into her, ignore that she’s even there but she continues through the crowd, walking toward the panic not running from it. For the first time ever, she feels it’s her duty to protect others, now that the Hydrocon has awakened in her, Anessa can feel the power running through her.
On the small sand bar stands a tall man, his chest inhales and exhales fast, his jaw clenched, and fire surrounds his hands. He looks around at the fearful people with achievement in his eyes.
“Leave these people alone.” Anessa calls out, stepping in front of the cowering crowd left in the sand.
He grins, “And who are you?”
“My name is Anessa. Knight of the Order of The Sun and Moon.”
There’s gasps all around. His face turns from an evil grin, to frown. “He told me I’d find a Knight here. He didn’t say it was a woman though.”
“He? Who’s he?” Anessa thinks for a second then it comes to her. “The Extincion Being? I’m assuming you’re a part of his pack?”
“He prefers to be called Gabriel, and yes. He sent me here to do a little shaping up. I’ve heard your little team are not very good fighters.”
Anessa smirks. She tosses out her hand. In it, a small device shoots out from both sides; a bo staff with blades situated on either end. “I don’t know about the others, but I’m an experienced fighter.”
“Let’s see.”
Anessa and the man circle each other, the flames still wrapped around his hands in a sort of fiery brass knuckles. He leaps forward, fist out, but she’s quicker than he is. She dodges fast, slices her staff against his back, then jumps back out of the line of fire. He swings, hitting her staff as she blocks. The impact sends her tumbling to the ground.
“Thought you knew how to fight!” He laughs with a sort of evilness in his voice.
“I do.” She jumps to her feet just as the thump of drums begin nearby; Waters Edge very own fighting band.
“Looks like we have music now to get us in the mood, Knight!”
“Let’s end this.” She spins her staff, cutting his shoulder. A smirk grows across her face. Once again he goes in for a punch but she rolls out of the way, slices his ankle, then spins around, kicking him to the ground.
“You think you’ve won this? The Knight will succumb to Gabriel’s teachings whether he likes it or not!” He rises, his knuckles burning hotter.
“What are you talking about?!” Anessa tosses her staff at him but he catches it mid-air and snaps it over his knee.
“You have no elemental power? What will you do now?”
“This.” The hydrocon in her back begins to glow bright orange and the drums beating intensifies. She throws out her hand and with it, a pulse so strong the man goes flying back into the sand, the fire on his hands now out.
Anessa closes her eyes and suddenly she’s hovering above the ground. Before she can get a second hit in, he disappears, leaving behind a pile of ashes blowing away in the wind. She slowly lowers back down and the hydrocon’s glow dissipates. She looks around at the crowd who are now starting to come back to the sand bar. They look at her as if she’s royalty. They gather around her just as she eyes Dru in the distance, and then it hits her, what the man was talking about and what Dru has been hiding…

…Gabriel.