Are You Just Bad News?

Chapter Seven

“No,” I snapped. “Absolutely not.”

“But Leah!” Mike whined, pulling on my arm. “You have to go!”

“No.” And with that I walked away from my front door, leaving Mike there. I entered my kitchen and went fishing in the fridge, needing anything to distract me from Mike.

But he followed me into my apartment, I discovered, when I heard the front door slam and he appeared behind me.

“Why won’t you come?”

“Maybe because I don’t want to,” I muttered, grabbing a bottle of water and shut the door.

“It’s just a party!”

“Exactly,” I replied. “A party I simply do not want to attend.”

Mike furrowed his eyebrows at me, “Stop being difficult and tell me why you don’t want to go. You’ve never even seen my apartment before.”

“Well I do know you’re a guy, and most guys have messy apartments. So I have a vague idea what it looks like.”

“But Leah, you can meet the rest of the guys!”

“What if I don’t want to?” I countered, raising my eyebrow at him. “It’s normal to not want to meet strangers.”

“Stop being a loner,” he said, and frowned.

I rolled my eyes at his immaturity and sauntered into my living room, sitting next to Mr. Dandy as he sat cuddled in a ball. I rubbed the top of his head and switched on my TV as Mike came and sat beside me, eyes glued to the side of my head.

I glanced at him and sighed, “Fine.”

Mike giggled in glee, jumping up and down. But when he saw my lack of excitement and eagerness to attend his little…party, he gave me a concerned look.

“You weren’t like, raped at a party and now have an immense fear for them, do you?”

I snorted, “No, not at all!”

“Oh…okay. Just making sure.”

I laughed lightly and patted his leg, “I just don’t enjoy parties like everyone else, okay?”

Mike shrugged, “Okay, I guess that’s fair. You don’t really have to stay long, I just want to introduce you to everyone and hang out a little, and then if you start not enjoying yourself – you can easily leave. It’s not like you live five states away or something.”

“Right,” I said, nodding my head.

He suddenly stood, “Well anyway, I have to head into work and get some stuff for the party tomorrow. I’ll see you tomorrow at 8? Or you can come early and help out.”

“Sure, no problem Bud.”

“Excellent,” and with that he kissed the side of my head and walked right out of my apartment.

I sighed and shook my head after him, getting up to lock the door properly. I could hear Mike running down the stairs so I peeked out of the peephole and saw Will open the door across the hall.

His eyes glanced at my door quickly, and then down the hall to the stairs. He shook his own head, long brown locks swaying and then he turned around and shut the door behind him.

He was the exact reason why I didn’t want to attend Mike’s party.

Of course Will was gonna be there, with him living in the same apartment the party is being thrown. And he was Mike’s friend, Mike’s “best friend”, along with the rest of their band members.

Unless something completely random came up, Will was gonna be there.

Which was going to be awkward for me, especially with his strange hatred for me.

Plus me surrounded by tons of strangers I was probably going to be introduced to wasn’t gonna pan out well on my behalf.