Status: Currently Ongoing

Merciless

Grand Entrance

My heart is racing. It feels as though it had sunk to the deepest depths waiting to burst. What had just happened in the short time we'd been traveling to Hogwarts? A secret Port Key to some unknown adventure. The last thing Professor Fig had of his late wife. A dragon glowing in some ominous red hue wanting to destroy our very existence. Ostric falling into the fate of the Dragon revealing thestrals pulling the carriage. I had encountered death. What have I gotten myself into?

As I was trying to get my bearings, Professor Fig and I were hurrying to not miss too much of the Sorting Ceremony. With all that's happened, I haven't had the time to think about this important milestone. The obvious answer was to be sorted into Slytherin. My family lineage, the Cross's, were well-known Slytherins. Almost just as well as the Gaunts but not quite, for the Gaunts are descendants of Salazar Slytherin himself.

My father being a great Slytherin in his days, I had great shows to fill. But for the life of me, the stigma surrounding the very essence of this house haunts me. A dark wizard isn't what I want to make a name for myself. They do have the highest rate. Or will the sorting hat take the less obvious approach and place me in Hufflepuff like my mother? Although, a part of me hopes not, for my fathers haunting words still run through me. Not being placed in Slytherin will most certainly disappoint him.

We ran through the Viaduct Courtyard which ran right into the Entrance Hall. The large doors bellowed open as we ran through.

"Hopefully you haven't missed too much." Professor Fig huffs in exhaustion.

He takes a quick look at my attire which sooted my everyday outside of Hogwarts. He flicks his wand. In a blink of an eye, my heavy gown was transformed into that of a black robe with the Hogwarts crest stitched to the bust, a white button-up covered by a grey jumper, and black trousers to match the robe.

"That's more like it." He said proudly. "Now are you all set for the ceremony?" Fig asked as he could see the itching excitement running through my body.

"Am I ever!" I muttered with excitement. I was prepared for this. It only took 4 years to get here.

Professor Fig nodded his head in agreement turning around to open the doors. The Great hall doors were of deep mahogany within them carved each of the houses. As Fig opens the door he pauses in his tracks. The sudden roaring of voices slipped through the crack he had just created. The walls and floor shook from the echoes of children talking. His face drops to the floor. His wrinkles that encompassed his face now very still. It was as though the excitement he embodied for me and himself even drained from him. He grabs my shoulder with the slightest touch with just enough force to pull me off to the side.

"Prepare to meet your headmaster Phineas Nigellus Black." His voice was very low so that no one other than us could hear.

The doors swing open, and out walks a tall slender black haired man. His face is very daunting. You could tell this man didn't enjoy anything for the slightest smile was overtaken by annoyance.

"Fig— How nice is it to see you did get the invitation." Headmaster said with much sarcasm in his tone.

"My apologies Sir, there were just a few," Fig stumbles for the right words. "Complications." He said with much uncertainty. Headmaster sneers through his teeth.

"I don't have time for your ridiculous excuses. You had one Job and you barely by the skin of your teeth completed it." Headmaster dismissed any further conversation on the subject.

For a moment it looked as though Professor Fig was unfazed. Fig looked at me giving me a confirming smile. I guess he's used to being scolded. Headmaster scoffed.

"With the ceremony over, we possibly can squeeze you in for tonight to be sorted." He addressed this to me. The annoyance in his voice now shifts to the slightest glimpse of compassion. Headmaster waved me to follow behind him escorting me through the hall.

Tables were lined making aisles just wide enough between them for two cars to be still side by side. Candles floating above creating the most beautiful lighting ever. It was a decoration in itself and quite breathtaking. Banners of each house were hung to the ceiling to align with each table. I'm assuming for the first years to get the right idea of which house is their table. All sorts of conversations echoed throughout the hall. There are so many not a single one could I get a good listen.

At the very opposite end of the hall mirrored a long curved table which sat a few Professors. Standing to the corner with a pointed aged hat was a warm redhead woman. Her hair was put back into a neat low bun. Headmaster looked her way. She nodded as she came up to greet me with an inviting smile.

"Hello dear, I'm Professor Weasley Deputy Headmistress and Professor of Transfiguration." Her smile seemed to calm the nerves that I have been experiencing since my trip.

"After you're sorted please take a seat at your house table and once Headmaster Black dismisses for the night, please meet me by the Grand staircase, there are a few things I must go over with you." She concluded her instructions walking me over to a stool in the middle of the room.

As I took my seat on the cold stool that encompassed many before me, the roaring of voices that surrounded the room went still. This was nauseating. Hundreds of unfamiliar eyes locked on me. They all were almost like lasers piercing into my skin almost as sharp as swords. You could hear the faintest whispering. What were they saying? This much attention I hated. My palms started to sweat as Professor Weasley placed the sorting hat very gently on my head.

For a moment there was complete silence. Not a single sound. A pin could drop and that would break the awkward silence. Then, in a blink of an eye, I felt a wiggle tickle my scalp.

"Ah—Yes very interesting." A low-pitched voice echoed.

"So much power. Ambition courses through your veins. Yes– Potential for greatness. Slytherin could help you thrive and hone your abilities. Mmm. Hesitation about Slytherin, eh? Saving the damsel I see? Yes– Gryffindor material....No, oh why not? You could fully embrace chivalry and become a great hero. No? Very well," The hat justified his thoughts and some of my own. Could the hat read my mind? I took a sharp breath as I was so nervous I thought I was gonna pass out from not breathing.

Gryffindor? I could hear the yelling now. A Cross could never be seen showing off the pride of the lion. You might as well never show your face at the Cross family reunion for the utter embarrassment. I could feel my body vibrate. I was angry. The thought of being a Gryffindor infuriated me. I along with everyone else sat for a long moment waiting for the long-awaited decision that is my fate.

"Slytherin!" The hat yelled as the long table to the far left of the room roared in celebration. A sense of relief escaped me as I stood with the brightest smile. Everyone clapped. I stood up from the stool making my way toward the table that above all others was throwing a party of its own.

I sat next to a brown-headed girl who seemed to not mind. She smiled placing one of her hands on my shoulder as congratulations.

"Welcome to Slytherin! I'm Imelda Reyes." Her jet-black eyes never left mine.

"I'm Alice Cross." I returned the smile. She nodded her head.

" I know who you are. You have been the hot topic this evening." Just as she was about to say more Headmaster caught everyone's attention.

"Before tonight's feast comes to end, I have a very important announcement. As you all know, our yearly Quidditch seasons are always very well anticipated. However, this year's Quidditch season has been unfortunately—canceled." His voice was pleased with the statement he just made. Students from all houses yelled and booed in disappointment. Imelda was among them. Headmaster's face deepened with annoyance at all the hysterics.

"Silence!" Everyone's voice halted.

"Studies should be taken very seriously for your inevitable futures. With that said, there is to be no exceptions to this rule. Anyone caught playing Quidditch will suffer detention in my office along with 150 points deducted from your house." Gasps flew everywhere.

Everyone whispered to each other. Complaining about this devastating news. I was looking forward to Guidditch myself.

"You all are dismissed. Please head to your common rooms to prepare for tomorrow's studies." Headmaster walked off into the distance with much desperation to relieve himself from all commotion. Each house prefect ordered everyone into lines leading them into the labyrinth ahead of them. As I stood I locked eyes with Professor Weasley who motioned me to approach her.

"I'll see you around?" I looked to Imelda who was stewing in anger. It was as though steam could be seen leaking from her ears

"Of course!" She tried saying as nice as she could but it managed to come off more snippy than anything. I gave a small tight smile and made my way towards the Grand Staircase knowing that's where Professor told me she'd be.

I locked eyes with a mysterious boy as I walked out the Great Hall doors. His hair was neatly combed over to one side with itty bitty curls at the tips. He was dressed in the Slytherin uniform. How come I didn't see him at the table? He looked at me, inspecting every inch it seemed of my body. What seemed to be two chocolate brown eyes met mine again, only this time the one corner of his mouth in a small curious smirk.

I couldn't help but giggle under my breath feeling my heart pick up speed. He is cute. I broke the gaze we both seemed to beguile in. I made sure my long black hair covered my face. Enough from him to not see I was glowing like a ruby.

"I'm sure you are very exhausted from your journey today, so I won't keep you too long." Professor began her inquiries catching me off guard.

"I have informed all your professors to give you extra work to complete to get you up to speed on things you have missed. I'm hoping Professor Fig caught you up on some spells you needed to learn?"

I nodded in response. Professor Weasley, with her smile she has worn since I arrived in the Great hall, glanced at my uniform realizing I wasn't in the right one.

"Good. Now let's fix your uniform to suit your new colors."

With a flick of her wand, the once Hogwarts crest turned to the crest of Slytherin. The inside lining of my robe turned to an emerald satin and the tie I wore underneath my grey blazer turned to an alternating of emerald green and silver. This sooted me well. I remember running around as a kid in my father's old uniform.

"Now, follow me, I will show you the way to your common room." Professor Weasley began to take the journey down the Grand Staircase.

We made our way down the last few steps of the staircase. It was cold. So cold puffs of clouds formed from your mouth after an exhale. The halls were lit with torches radiating hues of red, yellow, and orange. The fluorescence was just enough that a body looked like a shadow. Professor grabbed her once again saying aloud "Lumos". The tip of her wand glowed a brilliant white.

As we made our way down the long halls, the only thing you could hear was our feet. The walls of the dungeon began to shift beginning to resemble snakeskin as we progressed. The flames of the torches were now green instead of the typical colors of fire. This is how I know we are close.

Professor Weasley stopped in her tracks. I quickly looked up dodging her almost slamming into her. Maybe I should have casted Lumos myself instead of solely relying on her. I inspected the wall. There is no sign of any door. Not even an archway exposing more hallways. I looked to Professor confused.

"In order for the entrance to appear, you must say the password." She uttered responding to my bewilderment.

"The password is Pure-blood."

I let out a small chuckle escape my lips stopping myself making sure I wasn't coming off too cocky. How cliche Slytherin having a very condescending password. Salazar Slytherin's philosophy was Pure-bloods were the only wizards that should be able to attend Hogwarts. After all, 99 percent of the families sorted into Slytherin were Pure-blood families. Not having the faintest drop of a muggle.

I looked at the stone wall intently preparing myself.

"Pure-blood." I said sternly.

From the corner of my eye, a formation out of the stonewall began to morph into that of a serpent-like structure. It slithered almost as if it was alive. You could see how the muscle like stones contract just like a snake would. The skin appeared to glisten like it had just came from the Black Lake. Making its way up the wall and taking the shape of an arch, revealed a slate grey steel door embroidered with snakes intertwining.

"Well done!" Professor proudly celebrating. "Get some rest. Your first class tomorrow is Defense Against the Dark Arts. Welcome to Hogwarts dear." She concluded lighting her wand again making her way down the path in which we came.

I opened the door to the common room. In front was a large fountain with mermaid statues looking as if to be swimming in a dance. The water seemed to be moving down a channel next to it where stairs. I began making my way down the steps which were this perfect creme color. The walls were perfectly decorated with all sorts of imagery. From leviathans to all sorts of water-like creatures. As I took my last step, the water of the fountain channeled into this pool of water with more mermaid statues.

Slytherin common room was probably the most beautiful place I've seen yet. Three large windows overlooked the deep depths of Black Lake. What an amazing view. The ambiance of the flickering movement of the water above created the perfect mood. All the fire lit from the large fireplace to torches, any fire visible was the same shade of green as the torches in the dungeon halls as you got closer to Slytherin.

This felt like home. I could be myself here. I didn't have to worry about the weight that was always on my chest when I'm home. I didn't have to be suffocated by my father who has pressured my very existence from the moment I was conceived. I could finally be free to explore who I am without trying to be someone I was forced to harness.

Standing near the large windows was the same handsome brown-headed boy. He looked very concentrated on the book that was in one of his hands. He was pacing back and forth with the other free hand of his waving in the air in front of him like he was reading a scripted play. It was late, so late that if he weren't in the common room, he would be sent to his dorm. I walked toward the fireplace that was a few feet away from him hoping maybe he would notice. His eyes were still engulfed in the large book. I sat down overhearing little whispers. Was he reading to himself? A small smile formed on my face.

As I sat waiting for him to notice me, there was not a single sound that could be heard besides the fountain. I wonder if he had gone to bed? I stood up realizing the large book he had been reading was sitting by the small end table next to a bookshelf. I walked over to the book and just as I was about to open it, I heard a voice.

"So you're the new kid everyone is talking about?" the voice asked.

I jumped in my skin not expecting anyone else to be up. I turned around and met eyes with the mysterious boys. He had his body leaning on the side of the sofa with his hands interlocking. I could feel my face begin to change color.

"I'm Alice Cross, the new 5th-year student." I introduced myself. The smirk he had given me in the entrance hall now forms back on his lips.

"I know who you are. You are the girl that was almost a Gryffindor. Nice to meet you, I'm Sebastian Sallow." He said as he pushed himself off of the couch brushing by me close enough where I could smell his cologne. He smelled of peppermint and pine. I could feel my heart fasten again. Sebastian placed his pointer and middle finger on the front of the book making a thud from poking it.

"Is that a book of plays? You seemed very theatrical earlier." I teased a bit watching him turn his head with a smile.

"Who me? Theater? No, just research." He chuckled now picking the book up.

"Research?" I asked as we both started to walk in the direction of the dorms.

"You know for someone just meeting a stranger, you sure are nosey." He looked into my eyes giving me a little wink. His eyes were a hazel color now that I was able to get a good look. He also had freckles on his nose that crossed over to his cheeks.

We had stopped at an archway that read Girls Dormitory.

"See you around Gryffindor." He teased walking off towards the other side that read Boys Dormitory with the book in his hand on the side of his body. I couldn't feel my face from smiling for too long. Something tells me this wasn't the last time we were going to encounter each other.