Moonrise.

But I can't help falling in love with you

“So how was your first date!?” Nadia and Haven rush me first thing in the morning as we are all checking out of the hotel to go back to the bus. “Did anything happen afterwards?” Nadia is wagging her eyebrows at me, causing me to roll my eyes. “Come on, you guys shared a room, it’s possible.”

“We walked around a few antique and metaphysical shops, grabbed Chinese and I did a tarot reading on Ricky.” I explain to them. “It was a nice first date. We stayed up talking and went to bed in our own beds.”

“He did at least kiss you goodnight?” Haven asks.

“Yes, we kissed goodnight.” I roll my eyes. “I have no idea why you’re acting like this is my first date ever.”

“But it’s your first date with Ricky.” Nadia states as if it’s the most obvious thing. “This is huge!”

“Whatever you say.” I roll my eyes before handing over my key at the front desk. “Girls, can we please act like this is any of my other potential boyfriends. Just because it’s Ricky doesn’t mean you should treat this any different. We’re magically not going to hit marriage level just yet.”

“You’re already so handsy and kissy though.” Haven counters. “But then again you two were always like that. Now you have more of a reason and that’s adorable.”

“Whatever.” I roll my eyes before walking away. I love those girls and I know they mean well but it’s too early in me and Ricky’s relationship for them to be obsessing over it.

**

I’m sitting in the main bus area with my iPAD out as I’m drawing up flash tattoo ideas based off of Ice Nine Kills songs. What’s the Dillio by Mest is playing in the background and everyone is off doing their own things.

“Why do I have a feeling Spencer is in charge of the music?” Patrick questions. “This musical choice has Spencer written all over it.”

“You do realize all of us have listened to Mest at one point, right?” I counter, not looking up from my iPad. “But Spencer isn’t in charge of the music, I am.” To make my point I changed the song, changing it to Calling All Skeletons by Alkaline Trio.

“You really don’t listen to metal music, do you?” Joe questions. “Your best friend is the frontman of a metalcore band and you listen to mainly 00’s music, pop punk or stoner music.”

“You’re the bass player of a band whose last two albums are inspired by horror movies and you don’t like violence or gore.” I counter him with a smirk. “And besides Ice Nine Kills started out as a pop punk ska band.Spencer got inspired after going to a Mest concert.”

“And she’s a huge Slipknot fan.” Spencer adds as he comes from the bunk area. “I’ve seen the damage she can cause in a Slipknot crowd.”

I can’t help but to chuckle at the memory. That concert was the concert that changed Spencer’s look on me. That was the night we became best friends.

“There’s a story there, right?” Ricky is the one to ask. “Hells is chuckling.”

“So from the time I was 13 to 16, Spencer hated me.” I start out. “It is mainly because he was always forced to chaperon concerts with me. My dad didn’t trust anyone and had his friend force his son to watch out for me. Spencer and I had similar taste in music so it just made sense.”

“Wait you guys hated each other?” Haven questions. “I always thought you guys were attached at the hip from a young age.”

“There is a significant age difference.” I remind her. “He thought I was an annoying girl that he always had to watch out for. Until we went to see Slipknot.”

“What happened there?” Patrick asks.

“Some guy in the crowd was drunk as fuck and decided to get handsy with Helena.” Spencer replies. “I caught them arguing and I was about to step in when I watched Helena, in her demonia boots, kick this fucker in the nuts. He was probably twice her size. He went crumbling to the ground, cursing this girl as it happened. I’ve never been more proud. After that I stopped seeing her as a girl I had to babysit.”

“And we became concert buddies and eventually best friends.” I add, smiling.

“And eventually weasling your way into helping out the band.” Ricky also adds. “How did that start out?”

“I was the merch girl on summer tours.” I inform the guitarist. “But once I graduated college, I started helping out with managing shit and while doing that, I started getting really into photography.”

“What is your major, if you don’t mind me asking?” Ricky asks.

“Business.” I laugh. “It’s kinda useless but not since I own my own business. I didn’t even want to go to college.”

“Why did you though?”

“Because I wouldn’t let her work on anything to do with Ice Nine Kills unless she went to college.” Spencer chuckles. “She cursed me out each and every final she had to take.”

“I still hate you for that shit, Charnas.”

“You have a degree so shut the fuck up.” He rolls his eyes. I roll mine and the conversation quickly changes to something more Ice Nine Kills involved so I go back to my sketches.

“So whatcha doing?” Ricky asks me an hour later, looking over my shoulder to see my sketches. “Have I ever told you how much I love that you’re a tattoo artist?”

“Once or twice.” I laugh. “Are you ever gonna let me tattoo you? You’ve been saying no for years.”

“Maybe.” He shrugs. “We’ll have to see how serious we get.”

“So you’ll only let me tattoo if we are officially together and not just dating?” I muse. “Okay, I see how it was Armellino.”

“Gives you something to look forward to, huh?” He smirks, causing me to roll my eyes. “But according to the cards last night, we are on the right track; correct?”

“Yea, our love has been written in the cards.” I smile. “You know, you’re the first boyfriend I have ever had that actually wanted a tarot reading done. None of my other ones were ever open to the idea. “

“I have no idea why they wouldn’t be open to it,” he states. “You lit up when I mentioned it. Even if it wasn’t something I believed in, I would do anything I could to make you light up like you did. This is something your passionate about so I’ll do my best to make sure it’s something I support.”

I can’t help but smile at him. He’s really something special. I’m really kicking myself in my ass right now. He’s perfect and I waited too damn long to realize that. He’s gonna support my passions and he’s best friend approved. I’m going to try my hardest not to fuck this relationship up.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley.

comment&subscribe?