The American Nightmare

But love doesn’t have to be something that we hide behind the scenes

“It’s 6pm time for the heavier music!” I announce before turning on Hell Praiser by This or the Apocalypse. The crowd in the bar goes wild causing me to laugh as I make my way to the bar.

“What the fuck are we listening to?” Nico yells over the music. “I know this isn’t Ice Nine Kills.”

“It’s This or the Apocalypse; it’s the band Ricky was the lead singer in.” I reply. “So you’re right, not Ice Nine Kills.”

“Ricky as in cool, calm and collected Ricky?” Nico questions. “He sounds like a fucking demon.”

“I know right!?” I laugh. “Like it doesn’t make sense!? At least with Spence you can look at him and sense he probably screams and does the deep growls; Ricky’s look doesn’t fit this.”

“He honestly reminds me of those stoner hipsters you were friends with in college.” Nico laughs. “God I hated those fucks, but I like Ricky. Ricky is cool.”

“I’ll be sure to let him know.” I laugh just as my phone goes off. I pick it up and see Demi sending me all of the Ice Nine Kills tour dates for this upcoming month. “Hey so Demi just sent me tour dates for the band. They’re gonna be in Lancaster the same couple days we’re gonna be there. Wanna hit up the show?”

“Why? So you can do a booty call with your boyfriend?” Nico smirks at me, causing my face to heat up. “I don’t see why not. Despite being your best friend, I don’t think I have ever seen Ice Nine Kills in concert.”

“Awesome!” I squeal. “I’m gonna text Spencer to make sure he sets tickets aside and to keep his fucking mouth shut that way I can surprise Patrick!”

“You must really love him, huh?” Nico smiles at me. “We’ve been best friends since we were 10 and I don’t think I have ever seen you this happy before. You have a glow about you. Especially now that you’re public about your relationship.”

“I’ve always had the slightest crush on Patrick, even before he joined Ice Nine Kills.” I admit out loud. “I remember being on tour with Spencer and Affiance was the other band on tour. Patrick and I would literally talk for hours about stupid shit. And then when he joined Ice Nine, it continued the same way this time we got to see each other a lot more. And deep down I felt like he was off limits because he’s in big brother’s band.”

“What changed?” Nico asks. “What happened in Buffalo that changed everything?”

“Other than getting sloshed and having sex?” I laugh. “I don’t know. Something just clicked. Waking up next to him didn’t feel awkward like I should have been. I mean I just slept with my brother’s friend and bandmate. We talked the next morning like what happened the night before was a natural, everyday occurrence. And after that we just talked every day. Getting that “good morning” text from him was the highlight of my day. It was my reason to smile.”

“Awww Henley Charnas is in love.” He coos. “Never thought I’d see the day you’ve become smitten by a guy. I’m so happy for you. I better be your man of honor at your wedding.”

“We’ve only been together almost 10 months, don’t go planning weddings just yet.” I laugh. “Even though he did pass a major hurdle.”

“And what’s that?”

“Getting big brother’s approval.”

***

“So why the hell are you gonna be in Lancaster the same time we are?” Spencer asks later on that night.

“You better not be around Patrick.” I warn him. “I want to surprise him.”

“Don’t worry, I’m outside smoking. Away from everyone.”

“There is this microbrewery in Lancaster that is gonna be doing Halloween themed craft beers. So Nico and I are gonna do the drive down so we can do a contract that way we can put those beers on tap at the bar.”

“So work trip, huh? That I can see. I was hoping it was work related and not for pleasure.”

“What is so pleasurable about Lancaster?” I laugh. “Other than Ricky being from there, I don’t see appeal.”

“I’m honestly surprised you haven’t ventured into the world of microbreweries. That is something up your alley.”

“Who says I’m not currently looking for a venue that I can turn into a brewery?” I smirk at my big brother. “Nico and I have been talking to our friend who does craft beer. We’ve been looking for venues around the area. We haven’t had much luck.”

“Have you thought about moving the bar completely?” He asks. “Like maybe to Buffalo?”

“This is your not so subtle way of asking if I would ever move to Buffalo to be with Patrick?”

“Maybe?”

“We’ve only been dating 9 months and haven’t even spent more than a weekend with each other. I’m not rushing marriage or even moving house just yet.”

“You moved in with Derrick after only dating 3 months.” Spencer reminds me.

“And look how that ended up.” I counter. “I really love Patrick, I’m not about to rush things and ruin possibly the best relationship I have ever had.”

“I’m glad you found someone, even if he is the drummer in my band.” Spencer laughs. “But honestly? Try looking for venues in Buffalo; maybe you can move The Final Girls Pub out there. Have two locations even. Because we all know Nico isn’t moving to upstate New York; even for you.”

“Hey! He moved to Missouri for me!” I remind him. “And we lived there for 8 years.”

I can hear the guys yelling in the background, causing Spencer to chuckle. “Okay, I’ve got to go. See you in about a week. I’ll leave your name at will call.”

“See you then.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?