Status: Rewrite in progress

The Bone Maiden

The Queen of Pentacles

Ava hurried to the bathroom when she heard Ariel's footsteps on the stairs. The mud had already caked and dried to her feet, leaving a trail of dirt from her bed to the bathroom across the hall. She quickly started a bath of hot water and frantically scrubbed it away before Ariel could finish with breakfast. By the time she finished up, Ariel was calling her down.

Ariel's go-to comfort food had always been oatmeal. It was what she made Ava whenever she thought her niece was feeling down. Or on rainy days, before big tests or midterms. She thought the chalky chunks of dinosaur shapes would ease Ava's pain. But it only reminded her of mornings hurrying to finish breakfast while her parents helped her get ready for school. She ate it anyway just to make her feel better. It was obvious Ariel wouldn't let her hide in her room. So she sat at the kitchen table by the window that looked out over the street, watching the rain race down the glass and the mossy trees tremble under the tiny impacts.

The street wasn't busy, even in the morning. So the cop car stood out as it slowed to a stop outside the house. Ava watched the two men climb out and march up the walkway with determination. Her chest tightened when the doorbell rang. Ariel went to get it. She usually hummed to herself in the kitchen. Even when she was just cleaning up a quick mess made while making oatmeal. It was one of the reasons she decided to open a restaurant. It brought her joy to provide people with food. Like the good Southern woman she was. But she wasn't humming now or smiling. Theresa's death was a dark cloud over everyone.

She tossed a rag over her shoulder and disappeared into the hallway. Ava stayed in the kitchen, listening to the rain and the muted tone of Ariel's voice. Finally, she appeared in the doorway and cleared her throat. The two officers stood behind her, looking around the house as if they'd find something suspicious in Ariel Baxter's homely kitchen.

"They just wanted to ask you a few questions—about—about Theresa, honey," she said, twisting the rag in her hands nervously.

"Oh, um. Sure," Ava replied.

"Can we sit?" one of them asked as he cautiously moved around Ariel. She waved him toward the table, and he stepped forward to introduce himself.

Ava didn't bother to stand and shake his hand. He took a seat and studied her the way cops always did. As if he was trying to determine whether or not she had secrets. Theresa used to laugh about it. The way cops always seemed to trust her and her sunny personality. They always felt the opposite about Ava. With her dark disposition and preference for the color black. She was the one they suspected of being "up to no good." Most of the time, Theresa was the one stealing bottles of wine and pretty things she could afford but shoplifted just for the fun of it.

"We heard from Miss Collier's grandparents that the two of you were pretty close," he started. She nodded.

"She's my best friend. Or she was."

"This must be very difficult for you. So we'll try to make it quick. We're just trying to piece things together. You understand?" She nodded again. The other cop lingered back, looking for secrets hidden in the kitchen. "Did Theresa ever give you any clues—any indication that she might be planning on taking her own life?" Ava gulped and shook her head.

"None. I mean—I knew she wasn't happy. She always got depressed around the holidays, but she wasn't any worse this year. She promised she'd never—never do what she did."

"Is that something you talked about before?" Ava shrugged and looked down at her lap.

"Kind of. Not specifically. We both lost our parents. We agreed we'd never leave each other. That kind of thing. I thought she—understood."

"Do you feel like this is out of character for her?"

"I don't know how she was feeling the night she did it. So I can't say. And I guess it's kind of stupid that we made a pact like that…."

"It's not stupid."

"Can I ask what this is about?" Ariel asked. She was leaning against the kitchen counter, arms crossed over her chest. She didn't look like a pleasant hostess anymore. He turned to her, eyebrows lifting as he sensed her growing hostility.

"We haven't located a suicide note. It's rare in cases like this. There's usually always a note. Victims will reach out to family and friends. There are signs, red flags. That kind of thing. Not always noticeable until the deed is done. We hoped Miss Baxter knew where she would leave a note." Ava shook her head, studying both of them.

"If Theresa left a note, it would have been in the barn or with her. That was her favorite place to go," she explained.

"Yours too, from what I understand?"

"Not really. She liked to be close to her parents. I can understand what that's like. But my home was in Florida, and going to the barn with Theresa was easier. So we only hung out there every once in a while. Especially when she was missing them or just wanted to get away for a time."

"Did you ever envy her for having a place like that?" Ava stuttered to get her next word out.

"I didn't realize this was an interrogation," Ariel said. Her tone went sharper. Colder.

"Apologies, ma'am. We're not interrogating anyone. Just trying to understand Miss Collier's motive."

"She was a troubled girl. Orphaned young. Spending her first adult Christmas away from her parents. Is that not a clear motive?"

"No, frankly, it isn't. Theresa was doing well for herself. She was a good student. Actively looking into universities to transfer to. She had a steady boyfriend with seemingly no romantic issues. She had a loving home. A strong support system and close friends. We wouldn't have to ask so many questions if she'd left behind a note."

"If Ava knew about a note, she would have told you. She has a loving home and a strong support system too. She had no reason to be jealous of that girl. Theresa—God rest her soul—she had her own problems. Let's put it that way."

"What kind of problems?"

"Should I call my lawyer?" He let out an exasperated sigh.

"Not at present, ma'am. But I did have one more question for Miss Baxter if it's alright with you." Ariel gave him a look that was a cross between 'go on then' and a challenge. He turned back to Ava, who felt suddenly small in the open kitchen. "Where were you last night? Between one and three am?" She shook her head.

"Home. Asleep," she explained. "I came right home after I heard the news yesterday. I haven't left. Why?"

"There was a break-in last night around that time. Someone broke through our barriers and may have contaminated the scene. We found footprints in the mud outside."

"And you immediately thought it was Ava?" Ariel asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Of course not, ma'am. We're simply trying to cross all our t's and dot our i's, you understand."

"Ava's been home all night. I can testify to that. So can my husband. He stayed with her for the rest of the night. She went right to bed. I've been in and out all night, worried sick about her. She didn't even get out of bed until I forced her to come down and eat breakfast. The girl just lost her best friend. What do you expect her to do? Go out and play in the rain?" He nodded and stood.

"Then I guess we have everything we need. For now."

"Good. I'll walk you out."

Ariel ushered them back through the doorway. They uttered a few more quiet words, exchanged information, and then headed back down the walkway. Ariel returned, wiping her hands on her apron. She looked tired. Like she really had been in and out of Ava's room all night. Only Ava was sure she hadn't seen her since she'd tried to convince her to eat dinner the night before.

"Ava," she said. The name sounded strange and awkward on her lips. But it told her all she needed to know. Something serious was coming next. "Did you go to the barn last night?" Ava shook her head, disturbing her wild auburn curls.

"Honestly? I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" She took a deep breath.

"I think—I was maybe sleepwalking again. There was mud all over my feet when I woke up this morning. If I went back to the barn—I didn't do it on purpose."

"Oh hell." She rubbed the bridge of her nose between her fingers.

"I'm really sorry."

"It's not your fault. I should have expected it to start up again. After your parents—and the dog—couldn't get you to stay in bed for weeks. We'll just have to—set up some precautions, alright? We don't want anyone thinking you broke in on purpose." Ava nodded and chewed on her lip. She wasn't very hungry. And suddenly, the idea of choking down a chalky dinosaur was even more unappealing.

"Why did you lie for me?" Ariel tossed her rag onto the counter and returned to cleaning up the morning mess.

"I watch the news, honey. I know how this works. You saw the way he was already trying to twist everything you said. I don't want them to try and pin it on you."

"Pin what on me? I thought it was a suicide." She took a deep breath and leaned against the counter. She had her back to Ava, but she could see how uncomfortable she was with the conversation.

"Look—I'm not saying anyone did this to her. Just that—young people these days. You see it on TV. Picking on each other. Bullying kids into suicide. Those officers have no note to tell them why she did it. They'll be looking for somewhere to place the blame. You understand?"

"Yeah, I get it. But Theresa was never bullied. Not in high school and not now. She was popular. Everyone liked her. No matter where we went. It was like they were drawn to her."

"I hope you're right." She finally turned around and looked at her niece. "Don't you worry about it too much, okay? Go upstairs and get some rest. They'll figure it out."
♠ ♠ ♠
Reversed

Mistrust, suspicion.