Sequel: Hangovers with You

Waking up in Vegas

Up on the rooftop, Listening to punk rock

It’s 2am and I’m currently sitting on my couch, Sublime playing softly in the background, as I’m on a video call with Ricky. Ricky and I both suffer from insomnia and sometimes need an audience when we work. So for the last couple years, we’d video chat with each other to help the creative juices flowing.

“Why do you never listen to Ice Nine Kills?” Ricky asks, breaking the silence. “I don’t think I ever heard you actually listen to us.”

“I don’t do metalcore.” I chuckle. “I don’t get why you guys need to fucking scream all the damn time.”

Ricky laughs. “Safe to say you don’t listen to HAWK or This or the Apocalypse.”

“Nope.” I reply. “Don’t feel bad, I don’t listen to any of Patrick’s former bands or side projects either. I only listen to Flat Out because they’re exactly the must I listen to.”

“Joe and Michael will be thrilled to hear that.” He chuckles. “How did you even become friends with Spencer if you don’t listen to heavier music?”

“We met at a Mest concert.” I reply. “My friend’s band was opening for Mest. Cole ditched me and left me by myself at a concert. Some drunk Benji Madden wannabe kept harassing me and Spencer swooped in to save me. Apparently his friend ditched him too so we hung out at the show. And he offered to walk me home. And that’s when I found out he was my new neighbor.”

“That’s actually kinda wholesome.” Ricky admits. “I don’t think I ever heard how you two became friends before this. I’m actually kinda shocked.”

I just chuckle as I think about the night I met Spencer Charnas.

2010ish

“Nicolette, this is fucking bullshit!” I yell into my phone as I enter the concert venue. “This is the second time you flaked on me.”

“I’m sorry!” She exclaims. “I’ve got a deadline for school that I can’t ignore, I’m sorry Kodiak. I’ll make it up to you.”

“You’ve been saying that for weeks.” I remind her, rolling my eyes despite knowing she can’t see me. “You better get a good fucking grade on this report or else.” I threaten her before hanging up the phone.

I hand the bouncer my ticket and ID. He hands me both back before marking my left hand with a giant X in sharpie. I smile before entering the venue, instantly met with the sound of a local band performing. They weren’t great but not exactly who I was here for anyway. I’m here for my fuck buddies band as well as Mest. I’ve always had such a huge crush on Tony Lovato. It’s always nice to fangirl over him any chance I get.

I walk closer to the stage, weaving my way through the crowd, not stopping until I get a decent spot up front. As the current band leaves the stage more people appear in the crowd. If I didn’t love live music so much, I’d hate being in the crowd. So many people in a room makes me feel so claustrophobic. If this was a grocery store, I’d be having a panic attack right now. But concerts? The music makes everything worth it.

As I wait for my friend’s band to take the stage, I decide to text Nicolette, bitching at her some more for ditching me and urging her to get a good grade on this project or I’ll kill her and they’ll never find the body. Just as I put my phone away, some drunk crashes into me. He looks down at me, smirking. A shiver dances up my spine; and not in a good way either.

“Hey Blondie, what are you doing here all by yourself?” He hiccups, swaying a little. “You’re way too pretty to be by yourself.”

“Who says I’m by myself?” I question him, crossing my arms across my chest. “My boyfriend went to grab a drink.”

“Really?” He scoffs. “And he’d leave a hot young thing like you by yourself?” He looks at me like a predator would look at their prey. His smirk is enough to make me feel nervous, let alone his giant build.

Suddenly a guy swoops in. He honestly looks like your typical scene kid fuck boy. His ears are stretched, hair spikey and I can see snake bites on his lips. He’s hot, not gonna lie. He gets between me and the drunk before turning towards me mouthing follow my lead. He leans in and kisses my cheek. “I’m so sorry, the line at the bar was far too long.” He wraps an arm around my waist before turning towards the guy. “You weren’t giving my girlfriend a hard time, were you?”

“N-No I wasn’t.” He lies before backing away. “I didn’t know she had a boyfriend.” With that he walks away, leaving me and my savior alone.

“Why do guys instantly back off when the boyfriend makes an appearance but doesn’t leave the girl alone if she just says she has a boyfriend?” I question no one in particular. “But thank you for the rescue. I would say I’d buy you a drink but,” shows off my X on my hand.

“Don’t mention it.” He smiles. “Guys like him make concerts a dangerous situation for girls. He’s right, you really shouldn’t be alone at a concert. It’s not safe thanks to guys like him.”

“I originally wasn’t supposed to be by myself but my friend ditched me for a school project at the last second.” I inform him, chuckling. “I’m only here because I have a friend in one of the opening bands and I love Mest. I’m not missing seeing Mest because my friend is a fucking nerd.”

He laughs. “My friend ditched me too.” He admits. “And I wasn’t gonna give up the chance of not seeing Mest. Plus I had nothing better to do on a Saturday night besides unpacking. I just moved here from Salem.”

“I’m from Athens, Ga.” I tell him. “I moved here last year. So I can understand the unpacking. I’m Kodiak by the way. All my friends call me Kodi, though.”

He smiles at me. “I’m Spencer. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Since we got ditched by our friends and it’s clearly unsafe for me to be by myself, wanna hang with me?” I ask.

“I’d love to.” He replies, causing me to smile.

For the rest of the evening we talked about music, our home lives and rocked out to Mest, which is apparently one of both of our favorite bands. He even started a band after seeing Mest and Goldfinger in concert. But sadly the band didn’t stay pop punk, it’s more metalcore now.

“You don’t listen to heavy music?” Spencer questions as we walk out of the venue. “Why?”

“I don’t understand why y’all have to scream so much.” I chuckle. “The heaviest band I listen to is either Avenged Sevenfold or Linkin Park.”

“What makes them so different?”

“I have the hots for M Shadows and Mike Shinoda?” I offer, laughing at my answer. “Honestly, I have no idea what makes them so special. I’ve always loved them. Hybrid Theory is my go to cd when I’m pissed. It’s the only CD that can calm me down.”

“Hey, how far away do you live?” He asks. “I’d like to walk you home, you know to make sure you get home okay.”

“I live two blocks away.” I reply. “I think in a 3 story walk up over a laundromat”

“No fucking way.” He chuckles. “You live above Bubble Rave? So do I.”

“No fucking way.” I laugh. “What floor?”

“The top floor.”

I chuckle. “So you’re my mysterious neighbor.” I smirk. “I’ve been hearing you move in but haven’t seen you yet.”

“You’re the southern belle that Ms. Jackson keeps talking about.” He smiles. “What are the chances?”

“I think the universe decided we were destined to meet.” I say out loud as we walk to our apartment building. “I’m honestly kinda glad Cole ditched me now. I get to finally meet my new neighbor and not because I’m yelling at you for blaring your shitty metalcore music.”

Spencer just chuckles as we continue making small talk on our walk home…


“That is seriously just so fucking wholesome.” Ricky laughs. “I can’t believe I’ve never heard that story before.”

“That is our origin story.” I smile. “It’s hard to believe it’s been over a decade. It feels like just yesterday he was saving my ass at a pop punk show.”

“And all of this happened because Cole ditched you.” He chuckles. “She must love that.”

“I never thought in a million years a single guy at a Mest concert would be such a huge part of my life.” I admit. “But honestly Spencer has always been the only constant in my life for a while. He's my comfort person.”

“He’s now your comfort husband.” Ricky jokes before letting out a yawn.

“Tired now, Armellino?”

“Yea, I’m gonna crash now.” He replies, yawning once more. “I’ll text you later Yogi Bear.”

“Sleep tight, Boo Boo.” I tell him before signing off.

Spencer has been such a huge part of my life, I don’t want to ruin that. That’s why I need to get this marriage annulled. I can’t lose my best friend…
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?