Mankind

Episode One

Rylee, her name is Rylee, and she’s twenty-three. She has to keep reminding herself she isn’t her mother, and she will never be. Speaking of, her mom is on the television right now winning a Nobel Peace prize for her work in Green Robotics. Rylee huffs. How can she ever compete? Her mom has won countless awards over the years, but what exactly has she done besides get on her mom’s nerves…nothing.
A group of people watch the holographic monitor in the center of the room, but she sits off in the distance, just listening to her mother’s voice boom.
“I started when I was young!” Maya calls out. “I never stopped wanting to change the world, to make it a better place and with my advancements in Robotics, I helped shape a new future for our planet. One we can be proud to call home!” Authority, power, all tangled in a woven web of smoothness coming from her voice.
“She’s something, isn’t she?” A man calls out to Rylee. He’s Sho Okada. Tall, handsome, and pilot of the Crestelia. He’s only a few years older than her and managed to be the only member left in his squadron, single handedly taking out twelve Fire Cruisers during the Battle of Mars a few years earlier. He’s earned his wings.
Rylee sighs. “Forever in the shadow of my mother.”
“I heard she’s coming tomorrow to see us off. I thought she didn’t approve of our little adventure.”
She laughs a bit, knowing that Sho is absolutely right. Maya begged Rylee not to do this, not to do what her father did years and years ago. But this chance, it could be the only one she gets. If she can find him, then the trip wouldn’t be for nothing. “She’s traveling all the way here to Jupiter Station just to scowl at me.”
“Hey, not just you.” He nudges her. “Me too! And probably the whole crew.” He looks at his watch, almost midnight. “We should get some sleep, Rylee. Big day tomorrow.”
She nods and reaches out to give him a fist bump. He walks away, leaving her with her thoughts and the live feed of her mother walking through a crowd with flashing cameras and reporters all around her.
The next morning seems to come as soon as her head hits the pillow. Her alarm rings right at 6:00AM. The lights gradually begin to get brighter in the room, signaling the switch from night to day. A voice echoes throughout the entire complex, “Good morning, Jupiter Station. It is currently 6:00AM and we’re just making our rotation around the planet. Head to Skyview tower to see the sights.”
Rylee’s room is small, but it suits her. The bathroom is cozy, the kitchenette does its job. She usually just eats at one of the many restaurants the station has to offer but she does miss the food back on Earth a bit, things here feel a little….synthetic. She’s been here for almost a year as the Crestelia was being built. Overseeing almost every aspect of it, she’s acted almost like an artist sculpting their masterpiece.
She slides on the Crestelia’s crew outfit, leaving the top half unzipped and tied around her waist. Before leaving, she throws back her long hair into a ponytail, splashes her face with water, then takes a long look at herself in the mirror.
“No turning back.” She whispers to herself.
Jupiter Station, one of the many commercial space stations orbiting a planet, it’s almost like a very large mall but floating in the depths of space. She makes her way to the tram, it’s really the only way to get around or she’d be walking for hours. Rylee can hear people talking about her mother’s arrival to the station. It’s always followed up with excitement and hints of astonishment. The Maya Mullins is coming to Jupiter Station. Rylee rolls her eyes with a huff.
On the tram, then right back off. Destination; docks. The area is full of ships but none quite like the Crestelia. These are cruisers, and sleek fighters meant for maneuvering. Her ship, it’s made for long haul trips, deep space exploration, and warping long distances, which people don’t really do anymore.
“Rylee!” A voice calls out. Not Sho’s, it’s a female. She turns to see Yara, the medic aboard the ship. She has tattoos down both arms and her hair in two long pigtails braided down her back. “Got your holo-cuff ready.” Yara hands Rylee a device. It sits on her ear comfortably, starting from the top then making its way to just above her earlobe.
“Data’s all downloaded?”
“Yep. Synced with everything.”
Rylee slides her finger across the device and a globular hologram surrounds her. She moves her hands through the air, sliding screens out of the way, looking through all the intel, making sure everything is just how she wants it. “Thanks, Yara..”
“See you on the ship. Oh and…your mom is there as well.”
She eases her way to the ship. Slowly putting one foot in front of the other. She twiddles with her fingers, digging her nails deep into the palms of her hands. There’s just something about her mom that makes her want to run the other direction. Always prim, always proper, hair always done up and not one strand out of place. It’s aggravating. Why does she have to be so perfect all the time?
The ship stands in front of her, like a skyscraper lying on its side. This is it, this is what she designed. Four large thrusters, two on each side, make up the landing gear, and a dome just under the bridge is the flight deck. Underneath it all is the entrance, where her mother stands, looking around like she’s analyzing each and every piece of metal. In her blue suede tailored suit, not one hair out of place in her slicked back bun. She looks over and heer piercing eyes catch Rylee’s. She doesn’t move closer, she just waits for Rylee to do all the foot work.
“You know I’ve never agreed with this plan…” Maya says, her voice is softer than it usually is. Maybe because this might just be the last time she’ll ever see her child.
“Mom…”
“I know, I know. I’m not here to tell you that.” She looks around. “The ship is beautiful, Rylee. I’ve seen it inside and out.”
“Does it pass your inspection?” Rylee asks almost sarcastically.
Her mother laughs dryly.. “It does. You’re a great designer. I should’ve seen that long ago, but I was always too busy to notice the things in front of me.” She looks away, shame in her eyes.
“You’ve been successful since you were a kid, mom. All I’ve ever wanted to do was make you proud of me.”
“Oh, Rylee. I am so proud of you, and I’m sorry that I haven’t shown it. I wish I could come with you.”
Rylee shakes her head. “Your job is on Earth, saving the planet one day at a time..” Rylee sighs. “I don’t think you’d be too happy to see dad anyway if I found him.”
“Well,” She smirks. “He’d have an earful.” Maya takes a deep breath and pulls Rylee into a hug. “I better let you go. I’ll see you when you get back, yeah?”
Rylee nods with no hesitation. “Yeah, I’ll see you soon.”
The two part and Maya heads back to her own personal ship she arrived on. The Mastodon, a luxury transport ship that only the elite use. It gives Rylee one last scoff before she enters the Crestelia. Sho stands just at the entrance with his arms crossed.
“You should’ve told her this was a one way trip.”
“I thought about it, but it’s best she doesn’t know.”
He shakes his head in disapproval. “Cruel child you are.”
She shrugs, “Maybe.”
Aboard the ship, and undocked from Jupiter Station, they slowly take off. The computers hum to life with analog sounds of clicking and beeps, almost retrofuturistic. Sho sits in the front with his co-pilot, the engineers Rylee and Drew in the middle, and at the back are the medics Yara and Collin. With a total crew of sixteen onboard, their journey starts now.
“Hold tight everyone, engaging thrusters to leave Jupiter’s orbit.” The ship shakes and vibrates as it leaves the planet behind. It rattles in Rylee’s chest, the roar of the engines excite her, signaling the start of a new adventure.
Sho spins around in his seat, looking back at all the others. “We’re ready to jump. Everyone good with that?” There’s a collective nod then he turns back around and starts clicking buttons. Rylee takes a deep breath, this is it, no turning back now. He counts down from three and when he hits one, there’s a bright flash, sparkling lights, then something like a tunnel of multicolored swirls.
“Thirteen months until we reach Crest.” Sho says, flicking on the autopilot. He unclicks the straps to his harness and stretches. “You guys are more than welcome to stay up but I’m going down for the long nap. Goodnight everyone.”
One by one they all head to the sleeping pods. Rylee is the last to leave the bridge. She’s exploring the ship. State of the art kitchen, large rec room. The med bay is outfitted with an automated surgery pod, and there’s a holographic room that can mimic scenery. She sits there for a while, on the edge of a roaring waterfall that overlooks a thick jungle. Here she is at peace.