Mankind

Episode Four

The ship lands just outside of the castle in a clearing filled with bright green grass and a multitude of different colored flowers. The castle sits on a hill overlooking a valley, below are homes, and buildings, and twinkling lights under the night sky. Just outside the door is the woman with gray hair, Athena.
“That’s my mother and next to her is my brother Quency.” Kya takes a breath. “She looks mad at me.”
“Kya!” Athena calls out. “I’m glad you’re alright. When you came down in your riding clothes, I didn’t think you’d take the horse all the way out there.” She turns to Rylee and smiles wide. She looks kind, like Kya. Her eyes are trusting. “I’m so happy to meet you. Your father is in the library, and after that we'll have dinner. I’m sure you have lots and lots of questions.”
“I do. I’ve traveled a long way to see him.”
“He’s eagerly awaiting your arrival.”
Athena’s butler signals Rylee to follow him. The inside of the castle is like nothing the Crestelia group has ever seen before. Bright chandeliers hang from the ceiling which is painted with a beautiful mural of birds and trees with flecks of gold dotted throughout. There’s a plush red carpet that tracks the stairs, leading to the second and third floors, and just to the right of the entrance is a door. It’s taller than all the others, and the wood is a darker color, cherry wood, there’s a faint smell of sweetness coming off the door.
“This way, my lady.” The butler points to the door. It must be the library.
“Don’t worry now,” Athena smiles. “I’ll show the others to their rooms.”
Sho gives her a nod, a nod that it’s okay to leave them. After all, this is what Rylee came to do, confront her father, or meet him, yell at him, call him out? She came to do something and now that the time is here, there’s a lump forming in her throat and the undeniable urge to vomit. The butler opens the door and in she goes.
The library is grand, books on each wall from floor to ceiling. There’s a cozy fireplace and a comfy looking white couch next to it. No sign of her father yet though. She looks around the room, examining the spines of a long row of thick books.
“You’re here.” A shaky voice echoes behind her.
Rylee takes a deep breath, then turns slowly. She swallows the lump then says, “Yes,” as quiet as a mouse.
He looks different than his hologram at home. He’s a little taller, jet black hair, and white beard down to the middle of his chest. He sports a pair of circular glasses and a jagged scar across his cheek.
“I don’t know where to begin.” She says, fighting back tears. “I don’t even know what I came here to do. I wanted to give you a piece of my mind, I wanted to find out why you left us. Seeing you here now, it just doesn’t feel real.”
“Please, have a seat and I’ll try to explain the best I can.” The two retreat to the couch across from the popping and cracking fire. A sound she hasn’t heard since camping on Mars during the war. “I studied the anomaly closely for years. It would come and go and at the time, I thought it would be good for me to see it with my own eyes. Before I left, your mother and I had decided to divorce. I told her my plan and she told me to never come back, and once I passed through the rift, I couldn’t.”
“Mom acts like you snuck off in the middle of the night. Like you abandoned us.” She wipes a tear from her eye.
“I did leave, but I didn’t sneak off. I left you with my hologram, and I told your mother goodbye. I thought I’d be able to come back, and for that I am truly sorry. I know we don’t really know each other but could you find it in you…to forgive me?”
Rylee sniffles. “I don’t know if I can, but I would like to try.”
“That’s all I ask, Rylee. That’s it.” He goes in for a hug but she pulls back a bit. “Sorry,” he says slightly. “Not there yet.”
“I have questions. This place, where is it? What star system are we in?”
He shrugs. “I don’t know. All I know is that we’re far, very far from Earth.”
“These people, they have abilities? I saw Kya controlling water.”
“Ah, yes. Most people here on this planet have kinetic abilities. It’s just something they have, ever since the dawn of time. I can take you to the fountain, it can tell you which one you have. . I didn’t have one until I passed through the rift.” He flips his hand over, showing her his palm and suddenly, there’s a small ball over fire hovering in midair. “Don’t worry, you’ll eventually have all the answers to your questions soon enough.”
Rylee and her father make their way to the dining room. Dinner is getting ready to be served and the smell coming from the downstairs kitchen is almost intoxicating.
“So the Kingdom we’re in now, I overheard it’s called Highclere?” She asks.
“Yes, there are many Kingdoms here. Highclere is run by Athena and I. There’s Yoto Kingdom, home of Misyoto City. Think of New York, but a little larger and almost has a sort of Japanese feeling to it.”
“There’s a lot to take in here.” Rylee says as the dining room door swings open, inviting them inside.
In the middle of the room is a long table, it has the same hint of sweetness as the library door does, another cherry wood staple of the castle. Athena stands as the two enter the room. She seems smitten every time Eric is around her. Their love is undeniable.
“How’d it go?” Sho asks as Rylee takes a seat beside him.
“Well, I think. He explained things. How has everything been?”
“This place is incredible, Rylee. Athena talked about going to a fountain in the morning to see if we have abilities like the others.”
“Dad mentioned that too.” A plate is sat down in front of her and on it is the juiciest chicken breast she’s ever seen. The aroma from it draws her in, like she’s floating to it.
“I hope everyone is hungry.” Athena says with her permanent smile.
“Has there been any word on the unrest in Cipal?” Kya takes a sip of wine in a tiny crystal glass.
“They’re talking about it bleeding out into the other Kingdoms. Surely Marrad isn’t foolish enough to invade other territories.” Quency says. He cuts into the chicken and the knife slices through it like butter.
“Who’s Marrad?” Rylee asks.
“He’s a vial man hellbent on taking over the Kingdoms. He preaches nonsense about equality all while oppressing the people of Cipal.” Kya sighs. “He’s causing issues and the United Council refuses to do anything.”
“We’re not refusing.” Athena says quickly. “We just don’t see the need for interference as of yet.”
“We shouldn’t be sitting here waiting for something to happen, mother.” Kya sets her silverware down a little harder than usual. Athena is taken off guard, almost shocked at her attitude.
“Alright. It’s been a long day for everyone. Let’s finish dinner and head up for the night.” Eric says softly, defusing the situation before anything gets too out of control.
Dinner is done, the castle quiet, Rylee enjoys the comfort of a large bed with silk sheets and a cozy blanket. The walls of her room are painted a tan color and the trim at the top surrounding the room are intricately hand painted flowers. Everything about this place is perfect and with her head sunk down into a soft pillow, she drifts off to sleep.
Morning comes and the hike to the fountain isn’t a long one but it’s one with many twists and steep inclines through a wooded area marked with a gravel path. The air around them is warm, but not warm enough to break a sweat, it’s comfortable. The sound of running water and the eager smiles from Athena and Eric signal they’re closing in on their destination.
The fountain sits surrounded by flowers and bamboo, it’s in the center of the wooded area and the feeling is serene. Rylee can sense something, that the area has some sort of energy, a spiritual energy. It’s calming and instantly puts her into a good mood.
“All you have to do is dip your hands in and a color will surround them.” Eric says, he waves them closer.
Rylee and Sho both look at each other then dip their hands into the water which isn’t cold like she thought it would be, in fact, it’s hot but not scalding. A glow of blue surrounds both their hands.
“Ah,” Athena says gleefully. “Water. An extremely versatile element. Both of my kids are masters. They can teach you. But first…” She eases closer to them and places her thumbs on their forehead. Suddenly, images of teachers flash through their heads, techniques, and battling. She stops and the two look at her confused.
“What did you do?” Rylee asks, holding her forehead.
“My ability is the manipulation of Energy flow. We all know you don’t have time to learn properly, you didn’t grow up here. So I manipulated the energy in your brains to make it seem like you’ve had teachings, just enough to have the basic knowledge.”
“So do people call these abilities something?” Sho asks.
“Hylokinesis.” Eric says quickly before Athena can answer. She gives him a sly smile.
“Once we get back, you both can get set up with Kya and Quency. They’re fast on their feet but they’ll take it easy on you.” Athena stops for a second, thinking to herself then simply says, “I hope.”

“Are these really necessary?” Rylee looks down at her outfit covered with worn down padding, and a helmet that’s just a smidge too tight.
“Yes, Rylee.” Kya sighs. “Now, Quency and I will spar really quick so we can show you how we move.” Kya gets into position, Quency across from her. “Ready?” He nods and the two begin.
Quency is first to blast a bolt of water at her. She easily dodges it then pulls two whips from the overflowing barrels nearby. The water crawls up to her elbows, getting a good latching onto her. Kya smacks one whip at him but he breaks the water, using it to surround himself with a ring of liquid. He shoots shards of ice from it, each coming closer and closer until one hits her.
Kya slides back, but determined. She still has the one whip of water still tightly wrapped around her arm. She leaps into the air and with a spin, she drives the water down hard. Quency flies back, tumbling into the grass.
“Done.” Kya says with a smirk.
“You’re good.” Rylee rubs the back of her head, nervousness devours her stomach. “Maybe too good.”
“I’m just okay. If you want to see good, come with me to the pro match in the village sometime.”
A smile stretches ear to ear on Rylee’s face. “That actually sounds exciting. I’m in!”
“C’mon, lets get to work!” Quency yanks the water from his clothes and nudges Kya, “Just so you know, I let you win that round.”
She chuckles. “I bet you did.”
After a long day of training, the group head back inside for dinner. The radio in the main hall switches from nice classical sounding music to something much more important.
“This just in!” A voice rings out. “Marrad’s forces grip Cipal as civilians plead for the council to intervene. Will they hear these cries or will they continue to brush off Marrad's insurgents? This is Faruq, your favorite news host from Misyoto City.” His voice crackles away and the music slowly comes back.
“That doesn’t sound too good.” Rylee says, removing the padding from her clothes.
Kya turns away from the radio, she grinds her teeth. “I wish the United Council would just get together and put a stop to all this. Marrad is a dangerous man with unchecked power.”
“I just don’t get what his end goal is.” Sho says, leaning against the doorframe. “He wants to take over the Kingdoms, then what?”
“A global Empire in which he controls. He and his followers are all crazy, and always spewing nonsense. Just glad it hasn’t reached here yet.” Kya slowly heads up the stairs to her room but stops on the last step. “Well, aren’t you guys going to come up and change for dinner?”
“Oh, right!” Rylee looks over at Sho and and he looks right back at her. Life is so different here, they change for dinner, change to go out, change to sleep, and change for just about any other occasion. It’s like living in the Victorian days, but those days are long gone, very long gone.
Dinner is duck, served with a thick apple-brandy glaze and twelve green beans covered in a garlic butter. If heaven smells, it would smell exactly like the dining room. All is quiet, clanking forks and slurps from red wine imported all the way from Misyoto City.
“Tell me, Rylee.” Eric says, breaking the silence in the room. “How is life back on Earth?”
“A lot has happened. There was a war on Mars, which me and Sho were in, mom won a Nobel for her robots, and Global Warming from the early days no longer exists.”
“Wait.” He sets down his fork, almost in shock. “You two were in a war?! What happened to automation?”
“I guess it was too risky to involve robotics in war.” She shovels a fork full of green beans in her mouth. “And Sho was once of the best pilots. He took down a whole fleet by himself!”
“Impressive, Sho. I just hate that you had to go through that.”
“It was quick. Only lasted a few months.”
“Still.” He sighs. “Well, I am tired. I think I’ll go up now.”
“Yes,” Athena stands from her chair, her plate clean of any food. “This delicious dinner has made me rather tired. I’ll go up too. Please feel free to finish your dinners.”
As dinner is cleaned up, the lights in the castle are off, and the others are fast asleep, Rylee tosses and turns in her more than comfortable bed. She shoots up to a sound, or maybe it wasn’t a sound, could it have been her imagination? She dons her silky night coat and heads to the door. Reaching for the doorknob, she stops at the sounds of hurried footsteps.
The door flings open, sending her flying back into the wardrobe at the back of the room. Rylee hits the floor hard but it doesn’t stop her from taking the tiny amount of water in a glass on the nightstand and splashing it against the intruder; not enough to do anything and she’s far too new to properly fight back.
She stands, facing her attacker. The person is cloaked in black and wears a mask with glowing red eyes. Rylee steps forward, throwing a right hook but the person quickly grabs her wrist and tosses her right back to the floor.
“Your days are numbered.” It’s a man’s voiced, muffled behind the mask but she can hear him clear enough to know his threat is real. Suddenly, his head is surrounded by a block of ice and he tumbles to the floor.
“You okay?” Kya asks, helping Rylee to her feet.
“I’m good.”
“The castle is evacuating. We need to get going.”
“I’m right behind you!”
They pour out into the hall where Quency is waiting with Sho. There’s an explosion downstairs but it’s not from inside, it’s outside, and it’s the Crestelia. The explosion is so intense it blows a hole through the dining room and into the main entrance.
“The ship!” Rylee’s eyes widen, her heart begins to race.
“Forget about it, Rylee.” Sho grabs her arm. “There’s nothing we could’ve done. It’s not like we can get home anyway.”
“But the crew were still on it!” Rylee cries out.
“Is everyone alright?” Athena and Eric slowly come up the hall behind them.
“Mom!” Kya turns to her. “It’s Marrad’s men. They’re here and I think they want to take you.”
“I won’t let that happen.” Eric pushes to the front, now leading the way. “Let’s go.”
Two armed people run up the stairs. They move like it’s no effort at all, like they’re floating. Eric blasts a ball of fire at them but they dodge quickly. Using a small pouch of water slung over her shoulder, Kya shoots a barrage of ice shards. One target hit, they fall to the main entrance floor. Quency leaps out, ice formed into a sharp blade around his hand. He swings at the man, misses, swings again, and this time catches the point of the blade in the chest.
“I think that was the last of them, for now.” Athena says as they make their way down the stairs. She stops at the front entrance then pulls Kya and Quency into a tight hug. She steps back with tearfilled eyes. “We’re going to draw them away. You all take the boat to Midpoint Island right outside of Misyoto City. It’ll take a few days to get there but the boat is fully stocked with supples.”
“Mom…” Quency says softly. “We can’t leave you both behind.”
“We’ll meet up with you later. It’s safer to do this. Now go!”
“Mom.” Quency says again. Kya grabs his hand and yanks him away.
There’s silence between Rylee an Eric, almost like an understanding that this is what has to be done, she doesn’t argue, she agrees with a nod and he does the same.
“We have to go!” Kya yells.
And they do, they go, they run as fast as they can go, into the night, into the village, and to the docks where the boat stands ready for departure, the castle butler flagging them down. Highclere is left behind.