Mankind

Episode Six

Misyoto City, shrouded in darkness as the clock strikes midnight. There’s not much going on at this hour, at least, not in this part of the city. A man makes his way down a lonesome alley, a cigarette between his lips. He’s going about his night, just getting off a long shift at the powerplant. Something passes behind him, his eyes widen and he turns to look but then the something is in front of him now.
“You will submit yourself to me.” A deep voice calls out.
The man turns to the voice, chills prickling down his spine. “W-Who are you?”
The mysterious person steps closer, into the light illuminated by a lamppost. “They call me Marrad.” He reaches out and as quickly as they both entered the alley, they’re gone, vanished without a trace.

The chill of the morning is no match for the Water Serpents. They spend the early hours training in the courtyard on the island with Welsh watching happily.
“You know, I used to be in pro-hylo tournaments.” She sits, rocking back and forth sewing something. The group stop what they’re doing. They can’t imagine Welsh being anything other than Midpoint’s caretaker.
“You did?” Rylee asks, she sits on the ground in front of her. “What was it like?”
“Well, it was exciting. This was almost eighty years ago and pro fighting was just beginning to catch on. Misyoto City was in its infancy and there wasn’t much to do.”
A young Welsh runs through the streets of the up and coming downtown Misyoto. She’s not running from just anyone, no, she’s running full sprint away from the police. The sirens blare behind her and sweat drips from her forehead. All she did was take a loaf of bread from a shop, that’s it. They won’t even miss that stale bread, it’s only three silver coins, well, she doesn’t even have that.
She turns a corner, she can easily escape through the alleyway but wait, the otherside is blocked by a woman, she turns back and the entrance is blocked by a man. Both police. She sighs and gives in. Welsh holds out her hands and the woman sends a pair of metal cuffs flying toward her. She’s caught.
“You’re thirteen, Welsh!” An older lady takes a deep breath, she presses her fingers against her temples. Her hair is done up, her clothes are clean, and tidy. She’s the police chief, and also a very skilled geo-kinetic, the ability to control earth and all it’s sub-elements. “I know it’s tough out there for you but you do not need to resort to stealing!”
“What am I supposed to do? My parents are gone, I have no money…”
The woman hands her a flyer. “You join the pro-hylo. I’ve seen what you can do. You always put up a good fight with my men.”
“It pays?” Welsh asks.
She nods. “It does. You join, you can stay with me. But the next time I see you out of line, I won’t take it easy on you.”
So she joined the pro team Echo-Bats and for ten years she made other teams fear her. Then the war came and she enlisted. She could wipe out whole battalions with a single whip of water in her prime.

“Sounds like you were incredible, Welsh.” Kya says, fascinated.
“I don’t mean to brag, but I think I was.” Welsh continues sewing.
“Did you ever get into trouble again?” They all look over at Sho and he just shrugs. “Just curious, sheesh.”
“No,” She laughs. “I didn’t. I was very lucky to have her growing up, she was like a mother to me.” She starts getting choked up, “Don’t you kids have a pro-hylo gala tomorrow? You should be resting up!”
As night falls over the island, the city begins to light up. Unbeknownst to them, people are going missing and no one has caught on yet. Marrad’s infiltrated the city and not a word has been spoken about his arrival, he’s slipped through undetected.
There’s a knock at Sho’s door and to his surprise, it’s Quency. He’s holding two glasses both filled with champagne.
“Busy?” He asks.
Sho smirks. “No, not at all. Join me on the balcony.”
“Do you miss home?” Quency’s straight into the hard hitting questions as soon as they lean against the railing outside.
“Actually, if I’m honest, no. I don’t miss home. I felt like there was nothing there for me anyway.”
“I know that feeling.” Quency sighs. “I’ve always felt like there was something more that life needed from me. Maybe this is it?”
“I don’t know anymore. I just go with the flow nowadays, and the flow brought me here. It still doesn’t feel real to me. I’m not from here, I’ve never been here before but it feels like my whole life is here.”
Quency moves closer, resting his hand on top of Sho’s. He understands, he feels it too. “I know what you’re talking about. I have that feeling sometimes when I visit new places.”
Sho looks down at Quency’s hand covering his own. His face turns bright red and he lets out the slightest, “Hehe.”
“What…?” Quency’s eyebrow raises. “What did you just…say?”
“I didn’t say anything. It must’ve been a bird.”
“No, no. You didn’t say anything. It was more like a sound. Like um, he he?”
Full embarrassment now. Sho quickly yanks his hand away and anxiously runs his fingers through his hair. He gulps down the rest of his drink. “I should get to bed. It’s late.”
“Oh, of course. Did I do something to insult you?”
“You did nothing. I’m a buffoon.”
“A what?”
“Nothing, nothing.” Sho sighs, shooing Quency to the door. “I really must sleep now. On with you!” He shoves him out into the hall then slams the door shut. He presses his back against it and rolls his eyes. “I’m an idiot.”
“You are!” Quency says through the door.
“UGH. Go away!”

The pro-hylo gala. After winning six matches as a new group just signing up, the Water Serpents really put themselves on the map. The gala happens once a year. A party for the sponsors and the teams, and anyone who is someone will be there.
They’re all dressed in their signature blue, they’re the all water team after all. With their hair done up and Rylee and Kya outfitted in stunning dresses, their car drops them off at the entrance where a carpet is laid out all the way to the front door of the Golden Palace; a place of luxury and leisure. Only the grandest hotel in all of Misyoto City.
As soon as they step out, there’s photographers and flashing lights all over. It almost makes Rylee feel like she’s her mother. It’s nothing new, she grew up around flashing cameras and paparazzi. She herself never revelled in the glitz and glam of her mother’s life, now she can and she’s enoying every second of it.
“Rylee!” A reporter calls out. “How does it feel knowing your part of the breakout team of the season?”
“It feels good!” She yells out over the roaring crowd of people. “I’m good at what I do and I hope to continue to do it for a long time!”
“That’ll be printed in the papers tomorrow. Rylee takes on the world!” Kya laughs and locks her arm with Rylee’s as they head up the steps. “Let’s see what food they have.”
The same reporter stops Sho and Quency. “Sho, Quency! A moment of your time. How does it feel knowing that you two are the heartthrobs of the team?!”
The two look at each other. Heartthrobs? This is news to them. Sho responds with, “I’m very flattered.”
Quency simply says, “My heart is spoken for!”
They enter inside and the lobby is filled with people adorned with floor length gowns and tuxedos. It’s almost as if they’ve stepped right into a victorian era ball. Along one wall is a table filled with finger foods in gold plated dishes, and drinks served in sterling silver wine goblets.
“This is fancy.” Rylee whispers to Kya.
“I agree.”
Rylee chuckles. “Kya, you live in a royal household.”
“Hey, even I can admit that this is fancier than my family.”
Two doors swing open on the other side of the room and people pour inside. A man introduces it as the ballroom and asks that people attend if they want to dance to live music.
“We should go.” Sho says.
“Are you going to dance with me?” Quency smirks and holds out his hand.
“Doesn’t your heart belong to someone?”
“It does.”
Somehow, in the lights, and glam of it all, with Quency’s wavy blonde hair pulled back neatly, Sho can see why people think he’s a heartthrob because, well, he is.
“We shall dance.” He takes Quency’s hand.
Kya points to them as they trot into the ballroom. She takes a sigh of relief, seeing her brother happy sends a boost of energy through her. “Those two, I swear. Shall we go in?”
Rylee nods. “Let’s.”
In the room, people are dancing and clapping. The live band is nestled in the corner of the room playing all sorts of instruments from the piano to the violin, there’s even a harp.
“Water Serpents!” A man’s voice calls out.
Kya and Rylee turn. It’s Nilarian, from the Wing Ferrets. “I’m happy to see you all here. Are you enjoying the party?”
“It’s beautiful!” Rylee raises her voice over the music.
“I haven’t properly introduced myself. I’m Nilarian, you can call me Nil. My team is out there dancing.” He points to a couple of people. “Yu-lin, Ikrie, and Nyara.”
“We’d love to meet them sometime.” Kya says.
“Actually. I wanted to talk to you guys…maybe privately.” He pulls them aside, taking them to a quieter room and shuts the door behind them.
“I’m intrigued.” Rylee leans against the door. “Why the shadiness?”
“I wanted to talk to you alone.”
“What is it, Nil? Spit it out.”
“Marrad is here in the city…”
“Well,” Kya throws her hands up. “It was only a matter of time.”
“Look, he’s taking people in the night, recruiting them or something. They don’t come back the same.”
“Why are you telling us this?” Rylee asks. It’s definitely piqued her interest.
“Because I know he’s after your parents, Kya. They sit on the council. And, there’s word he’s holding a rally tonight at the Underground. I want to see what it’s about.”
“Wait,” Kya laughs sarcastically. “You want to infiltrate Marrad’s meeting? Do you realize how dangerous that is?”
He nods. “Yeah, I do.”
She thinks for a split second then says, “I’m in.”
“Kya…” Rylee sighs. “We’re supposed to be enjoying our night and dancing. Not going behind enemy lines.”
“You both are strong kinetics. I need you guys in on this.” Nil sits and waits for a response. How could Rylee resist his amber colored eyes?
“Fine. But we’re in and out.”

“Here, mask up.” Nil hands them a couple of cloths to put over their faces. “We don’t want to be recognized here.”
They head for the door guarded by a tall heavy-set man. His face is covered too. He stops them. “What’s the code?”
“Beleivers come, non-believers fall.”
“Enter.” He pushes open the door.
“Where’d you get the code?” Rylee asks with a whisper.
“I’ve been listening for days now. Overhearing things I probably shouldn’t.”
The Underground is a large room, seems like it used to be some sort of storage area but has been long abandoned. There’s tons of people gathered around a stage, just waiting for something to happen.
The room falls silent as someone walks out, a microphone raises from the floor. Marrad. He hides his face too, but behind a painted mask. “Welcome believers.” His deep voice echoes throughout the room. “I’ve asked you here tonight because I want you to join my cause.”

The crowd cheers.

“For years we have been taken advantage of! There was a time when the Kingdoms were one Empire ruled by one man, and I will return us to that time, I will rule this new Empire!”
His words send shivers down Rylee’s spine. This man is truely unhinged. An empire? He wants to revert the world back to just one place and ruled by himself, go figure. He brings two people onto the stage, tied and gagged.
“These are non-believers. But after I’m done with them, they will believe!”
“I don’t like the sound of this…” Rylee whispers.
He grabs the first person, the one closest to him and yanks his head back. He wraps his hand around his throat and two fingers on his forehead. The man’s mouth drops open and Marrad uses his two fingers to reach inside. He pulls out something glowing, something sparkling, something that looks like a wavy string of light…his spirit.
Marrad takes the man’s spirit and crumbles it in his hand, it turns yellow and falls to ashes. The man crumples to the floor in the fetal position, he rocks back and forth. His skin devoid of color, he’s pale and sweaty.
“He takes their spirits if they don’t join. No spirit, means he can mold them into a weapon.” Nil sighs.
The next person up is a younger guy, not much younger than Nil. Rylee puts the pieces together when she eyes Nil’s fists ball. He pushes through to the front of the crowd.
“Kya, I think we’ll be fighting our way out of here.”
“Marrad!” Nil yells. He shoots a ball of fire at him.
“I think you’re right, Rylee. C’mon!”
The crowd disperses as the three prepare to fight. Marrad vanishes in a cloud of smoke, leaving the other person behind. Nil quickly unties him and the man leaps to his feet.
“Nil!” He yelps. “You came for me!”
“Uh, Nil!” Rylee yells. “We don’t have time for a reunion!”
Before they can leave, they’re stopped by a crowd of Marrad’s believers. They wield weapons various kinetic abilities. Kya is the first to shoot of a round of ice shards. The man leaps into the air, his feet hit the ground hard, sending rock and asphalt flying forward. He’s a geo-kinetic.
“Behind you!” Rylee calls out to Nil. She pulls a whip of water from the container on her side and smacks it against one of the believers.
“We need to get out of here!” Kya plows through the door, smashing it to pieces with a concentrated blast of water.
They head out onto the street and get far from the Underground before stopping.
“You said you wanted to see what was going on, Nil!” Rylee huffs, she’s frustrated. His actions could’ve gotten them all killed. “Who is this?” She points to the man Nil saved.
“Hi, I’m Daris. Nil’s cousin.”
“Why didn’t you just take your team in there?”
“You guys are better than them. I’ve seen you in the arena. You’re good, and I needed good.” Nil sighs. “I’m sorry I lied. But I couldn’t let Marrad hurt him.”
“He takes people’s spirits, Nil!” Rylee paces back and forth. “What even kind of power is that?!”
Kya rests on a crate, “It’s a form of energy control. Mom talked about once, she said it was a rare ability only was used by one person and they died when their own power backfired.”
“Nil, you and Daris should come back to Midpoint with us. It isn’t safe. Kya, let’s go back and get Quency and Sho. I’m sure Welsh will want to hear all about this.”

And Rylee’s right. Welsh sits in fascination, listening to the tale they’ve woven themselves into.
“Marrad’s in the city.” Welsh says. She stands from her chair. “I must let the Four Chambers know.”
“Four Chambers?” Rylee asks inquisitively.
“They’re a team of elite kinetics tasked with protecting royal households.” Kya says. “They’re some of the best.”
“Nil, Daris,” Welsh smiles, “I’ll have rooms made up for you. You’ve had a long night. You all have. Leave the fighting behind for now and get some rest.”
Rest. How can anyone rest at a time like this. Rylee can’t stop thinking about Marrad’s strange ability. She watched him pull a person’s spirit right out of them and destroy it between his fingers. It’s vile, it’s horrid, and…she drifts off to sleep.