Nobody's Heart

A Message

“Riku! Riku!”

Riku turned to see Sora running towards him across the wooden bridge.

“What?” Riku asked as Sora stopped in front of him. He noticed that Sora had a glass bottle in his hand with a piece of paper in it. Trailing him, Kairi ran over to them.

“Riku, look at what’s on the paper,” Sora said excitedly, moving his hand so Riku could see it better.

Riku straightened from leaning against the paopu tree. “It’s from the King?”

They just stared at it, curious and mystified, until Kairi reached them, panting. “Well...are you going to open it?” she asked.

Sora grabbed the cork and pulled it out before dumping the little rolled up piece of paper out. He could hardly keep his hands from shaking as he quickly unrolled it. All three hovered over it, reading. When they were finished, expressions of shock appeared on their faces. After reading the message, they were silent for a moment.

Finally Sora broke the silence. “How could that have happened?” he said in disbelief.

“Beats me,” Riku replied.

“I thought we beat them all,” Sora continued. “Well, except for Axel...”

Kairi remained silent.

“I hope the King is okay,” Sora added quietly.

Riku nodded, silently agreeing. He then glanced at Kairi, wanting to know what she was thinking. He saw a sad, thoughtful look in her eyes, distant as though she were thinking of some memory.

“You guys are going to leave again, aren’t you?” Kairi said softly, looking out at the sea.

Sora was caught off guard. “Huh?”

“You two are going to go help the King,” Kairi repeated.

“Even though we want to, we can’t,” Sora replied. “Donald and Goofy took the gummi ship to return to the castle. If the King wanted our help, he would’ve sent them here to get us.”

Now Riku remained silent, thinking about his dream. Something wasn’t right...

“Can I see that?” Riku asked, pointing to the paper.

“Sure.” Sora handed it over, now filled with curiosity.

Riku read it again.

Dear Sora, Riku, and Kairi,
Xemnas is back. I’m not sure how, but I am going to try to find out. I also think that the rest of the Organization is back too. After I figure things out, I’ll send another message, and we can plan what to do about it.

~King Mickey


If Xemnas could come back, what about Xehanort? Maybe that’s why he had visited Riku in a dream last night. Xemnas was back. Riku looked up, his eyes scanning the tiny island.
Before his eyes he saw
himself, a year ago, welcoming
the darkness, wanting to
leave and travel to new worlds.

“Riku?”

He blinked, returning to the
present. “Yeah, Sora?”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Riku lied. “Just
thinking...”

“About...?”

“A dream.” With that, he walked
off across the wooden bridge,
dropping the King’s message
without looking back.