Without the Sky

Prologue.

Angel Boy Born

Last night at 11:15 in New York, Denise Wight gave birth to a healthy baby boy. The boy was promptly named Beckett Wight, but there is something astonishing about baby Beckett. Doctors were fascinated to find that he had been born with a pair of wings attached to his spine. Dr. Candish, who performed the birth, informed us that the wings were but the size of his index finger at the time and consisted of only the skeletal framing. Despite the fact that there were no feathers, it is said that the shape was easily identified to be wings.

"It is an angel come to Earth," Dr. Candish claims.

Denise and Steven Wight, the parents of the so-called angel, say otherwise. "It must be a gene mutation," says Steven Wight. "A very uncommon one, I suppose."

Denise Wight merely laughed off the angel claims when informed of them. "An angel? That isn't possible. But of course, Beckett will always be our little angel."

So far we have not been able to obtain any pictures of this angel baby as the parents have not given any permission and are standing by this. They say they do not want their baby boy to be "stapled on the headlines like a freak show".

It is not apparent as to where the parents are going to go from here. When asked about what they will do about public instances such as schooling, Denise Wight just replied, "we'll encounter that when it comes. He can do what he chooses."

A baby born with such extraordinary appendages is certainly a phenomenon not witnessed before. Dr. Candish claims it may be an angel here to warn Christians of the fore-coming apocalypse, but Beckett's parents oppose his view on this.

The only thing that has been confirmed is that the Wights are moving away from New York to enjoy suburban life with their new born child.


***

Angel Boy Flies Home

Denise and Steven Wight's plans to move to a suburb have been canceled and instead they have chosen to remain here in New York. They have returned to their home along with their baby boy. News has spread of their little miracle and there has been an instant explosion of opinions unleashed into the world.

When interviewing passers-by, we have already received a whole range of statements about baby Beckett.

"I feel sorry for the boy, and I pray our angel lives a happy life here on Earth," says Kylie Elliot.

"It's just another story for the media to sink their claws in," scoffs Jackson Robins, a self-proclaimed Atheist. "Poor kid, really. He's gonna have to live a long life of Christians watching his every move. No one deserves such a restricted existence."

"It's just a stunt," Carter Farnes claims. "Another stunt to keep us watching. None of it's real."

While we have not received a picture of the actual wings due to restrictions, we do have a picture of baby Wight leaving the hospital (see left).

Dr. Candish informs us that the wings have already grown larger by a good two inches or so and are beginning to look more in-proportion with young Beckett's small body. The doctor still stands by this opinion that the boy is one of God's angels.

Whether an angel or not, it is certain that Beckett Wight will be living a life millions of others wish to be living - for what do humans wish for more than the ability to fly?


***

Those are the articles from the weeks surrounding the date when I was born. Already a marvel on the first day of living.

Thank you, Kylie Elliot, for you well-wishes but your prayers seem not to have worked. Just another reason for my faith in what everyone else believes of me to dwindle.

You're completely right, Jackson Robins. I was just another story. I am just another story. Nothing important to them, just a way to subtly hint that I may be from the divine and for everyone to worship me. I live the restricted existence you predicted.

I'm not a stunt. I'm real. But I wish I was a stunt.

Hello, world. I wish you couldn't see me for what you think I am. I'm not what everyone thinks. I'm not perfect, and I'm not an angel. No one should wish to live like me.

I can't even fly.