Jealous Orchard

35

"I can't believe you tried to hide this from us! You think we wouldn't find out!" my mother stood in front of my with thick envelopes waving at me in her hand.

The acceptance letter from the four colleges I applied to were tuck neatly into each of them.

"I don't have to reply to them right away," I mumbled slipping off my shoes.

When I had gotten into the driveway I could see my mother and father staring me down through the front window.

"But you didn't tell us! This is so important Brendon! You can't hide these things from us! Did those boys in the band make you do this? I knew they were-"

"No, mom!" I shouted over her screeching. I have never raised my voice at her before and she quickly closed her mouth and stared at me. My father sat in the recliner chair just shaking his head.

"The band didn't make me do it. I didn't do it because of anyone. It was my choice and I made it. I decided I didn't want to go to college, and I decided to stick with the band. No one else. I'm old enough to make this decision myself."

My mom stayed silent. She had placed the envelopes on the table next to us and crossed her arms. Her head was bowed and her knuckles were white.

"You're not going to college?"

"No, Ryan sent our music page to a producer and he's coming down from Chicago to hear us," I explained.

My mother and father were the first people I told about Pete Wentz coming to see us. Ryan had told me and the rest of the guys about two weeks ago, and I couldn't think of how to tell my parents.

"Are you serious?" she questioned me.

"Yeah, we're pretty much signed. He just has to hear us live," I explained. I couldn't help but smile at her as I thought about my dreams unfolding in front of me.

"So, you're not going to college, because you want to be a rock star?"

"No, because I want to make music."

"And you're old enough to make this decision without us?" she looked at me as if she was trying to understand me.

"Well I know you'd say no, and I'm just cutting out the middle man. I'm not changing my mind."

"So you're going to make millions selling your records?"

"Well, if people like them."

Her hands unclenched and she unfolded her arms.

"Well, then you'll have enough money to support yourself. Then you can just move out," she said staring at me.

"What?" I wasn't sure if I had heard her right.

My father looked up staring at my mother and then back at me.

"You heard me, Brendon. If you're able to make those decisions and you're going to make all that money, then you can support yourself and live on your own."

"Honey, maybe you-"

"No. My mind is made up and I'm not going to change my mind. Think of it as cutting out the middle man," she said mocking me.

I stood there staring at her as she tapped her foot against the tile floor.

"You can be out by tomorrow can't you?"she looked at me with testing eyes.

I knew she wanted me to get on my knees and beg. To tell her I would go to church and to college. But I quickly slipped past her and walked up the stairs.

"I'll be back tomorrow for the rest of my things," I shouted down the stairs before jogging down the hall.

"They really kicking you out?" my brother asked sticking his head out his door.

"Yup, some parents huh?"

_________________________________

"Hey man! How was it?" I pulled my duffel bag off of my shoulder and stepped past Spencer and entered his living room to see Ryan lounging in his shorts and t-shirt on the couch.

"My parents kicked me out," I blurted out dropping my bag next to the coffee table.

"What?"

Ryan broke his gaze from the glowing television and stared at me.

"They found my college acceptance letters and I told them about the band and my mom flipped out."

"You mean they kicked you out for the night. Right?" Spencer asked coming to stand next to me.

"No, more like grab your shit in a day and find somewhere else to live."

"Damn," Spencer mumbled rubbing his forehead.

"Well, did you ask Morgan?" Ryan said sitting upright and turning his body toward Spencer and I.

"I can't do that. They don't have any other bedrooms, and even if they did, we're dating, her parents aren't that cool," I said glumly.

"Wow, I just can't believe they did that!"

"You need your stuff out by tomorrow?" Spencer asked going to sit down next to Ryan.

"That's what they said," I replied shrugging my arms and following Spencer to flop on the couch.

"Well, you can stay with me for awhile, but I don't think my parents would let you stay the rest of the year."

"Thanks, man," I said leaning forward and cradling my head in my hands.

"Don't sweat it man. It's going to work out. Just a few months will be out recording a record, and then you'll be touring and you won't even need a home till you have millions to spend on one," Ryan said laughing slightly.

"Let's cross our fingers," I said laughing dryly at the over dramatic dream of his.

We all fell silent for awhile, watching the Ren and Stimpy rerun that was playing. Until Ryan turned and stared at me for a moment.

"How'd Morgan take it?"

I turned to look at him, and saw Spencer was also looking at me.

"I haven't told her about getting kicked out. I came straight here."

"No, not that. About Pete Wentz coming. And us being about 95 percent sure we're getting signed."

I quickly looked back at the television.

"I haven't had a chance to tell her yet."

"What?" I turned to stared at Ryan who's eyes were nearly bulging out of his eyes.

"Man, don't judge. I've been a mess. And I couldn't tell her."

"But, but," Ryan stammered. "You were suppose to tell her once you found out!" he nearly shouted at me.

"Why? I had to soak it in for awhile, and I'm sure she won't be too happy about it. You saw her flip about you dropping out of college. What's she going to say about me?" I questioned.

"But, what if I kind of, already told her?" he said rubbing the back of his neck and looking away from me.

"You told her?"

"Well," he paused. He glanced at Spencer who sat in between us with his eyes bouncing back and forth between us. "It happened so fast. I had gotten the message, and Morgan was the only one there, and I had to share it with someone. And I didn't realize how it was going to affect her. And I didn't think you weren't going to tell her!" he pleaded his side.

"She knew before me?"

"Well, only like ten minutes because that's when I called the emergency meeting.

"But she's known the whole time?"

"Yeah," he said timidly.

"She hasn't said anything about it."

"Maybe she forgot?" Spencer offered.

I shot him a look and as did Ryan.

"Gosh, I was just suggesting it."

"She must hate me. Can this night get any worse? Why does my girlfriend have to do this to me? Why didn't she come out and say it?"

"She was probably waiting for you to tell her with all your excitement, and not ruin it for you."

"Or she's been testing me to see how long it would take to tell her," I grumbled leaning back and leaning me head over the head rest.

"I'd probably go with the second one," Spencer said.

"I'm so fucked."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm BAACCCCKKKKKK. This is what happens when no one comments. I actually pay attention to my school work, and go to bed at a decent hour. But I just couldn't hold out any longer. I have this all written out, and I'm just going to see how much you all want to see the rest of this story.

So comment, or I'll keep the ending to myself.