Jealous Orchard

4

"Umm well, Susan doesn't like me to much," she said twirling her hair and not looking exactly at me.

"And that's why you lied to me?"

"No, I mean we were going to see the same movie, but we didn't because of Susan."

I sat there amazed. She didn't see a movie because another girl was seeing it.

"Stupid I guess," she laughed running her fingers through her hair.

"I wouldn't say stupid. Just odd."

"So, you're dating Susan now?"

"Hopefully not for long," Adam butted into to our conversation.

"You don't like her?" Taylor asked leaning back as the pizza was placed on our table.

I looked at Morgan and saw her disinterest about the subject.

"I guess I like her." I felt Adam kick me under the table.

"Okay, let's stop talking about this and play a game."

"Oh, I love playing games," Taylor said as she grabbed a piece of pizza.

"What game?" I asked leaning forward and grabbing an end piece.

"Would you rather," Morgan said laughing at Adam's face of disgust.

"Just eat the pizza," Morgan said after she stopped laughing.

"Okay, if I die then it's your fault."

"I think I can live with that," Morgan said.

I felt her bare leg graze mine. I watched her face for any sign of emotion.

But her face still had on the same smile, but her leg was still leaning up against mine.

It's hard to tell if her emotions change because she's able to keep that smile on her face all the time.

"So you think you're going to die with all that pizza you're shoveling into your mouth?" I asked Adam since he already ate three pieces.

"It's okay, I'm just really hungry."

"Okay, I wanna play the game!" Taylor whined.

"Okay, would you rather have three less fingers, or six more toes," I asked.

"Where would all the toes go?" Morgan asked lifting up her foot.

She rested it on bench now leaning against my leg.

"Where your three fingers are missing," I said.

Morgan laughed and I could feel her wiggle her toes against my leg.

"People would call me nubs."

"I don't think anyone would have the guts to call you nubs," Taylor said laughing.

"Yeah, everyone loves you too much to call you names," Adam said pushing his plate back.

"I'm full."

"You ate half the pizza, you should be," Taylor said smiling at him.

"Why don't you get some to-go containers?" I asked Adam.

When he was half way up, Taylor was already making an excuse to go up with him. I could tell already that they would be dating in a matter of days. I don't know how he makes it seem so easy to make a girl like you. I looked over at Morgan and she was smiling at Taylor and Adam as the messed around with the containers.

"I always knew she liked him. She just wouldn't tell me," she said turning to me and pulling her feet down.

"Why wouldn't she tell you?"

"I guess I get excited about things, and I like to make things happen so I get a little pushy with her love life."

"Oh, gotcha."

Gotcha? What kind of idiot was I?

I looked at her and I couldn't help wondering if that smile of her ever left her face. Was there ever a moment when she was upset that she didn't smile, it's impossible to fake that smile, it was so happy, and full of life, that no one could use it to mask a different emotion.

"Here's an idea, how about Adam drives Taylor home and I drive you home. That way we won't have to hear about how much they like each other, and they can just make out sooner," Morgan suggested.

"I think they'd appreciate that," I said watching the two of them come back to the table.

Anyone could see that Taylor was hanging off of every word Adam said.

"Here you go, bitches. Pack up your pizza and let's hall booty."

"You're gonna drive Taylor home. Just a fyi," Morgan said as she placed some pizza in her container.

"Since when?" Taylor asked trying to sound annoyed about the plan.

"Since I decided I wanted to drive Brendon home." Morgan scooted out of the booth and waited for me, while she held her container.

I waited for Adam to stand up before I also scooted out of the booth. While both girls walk in front of us, Adam gave me a hard smack on the back.

"What the hell was that for."

"Make a fucking move buddy." And with that he ran forward and wrapped his arm around Taylor's shoulder.

"Later kids, don't do anything bad," Adam said winking while Taylor waved goodbye.

"My car is this way, Bren." She said heading over to the opposite direction of Taylor and Adam.

I followed and quickened my pace to walk along side her.

"I don't live to far from here, just a couple streets down."

"You wanna go home?" She looked at me a little shocked.

"Well, where else would I go?" She looked at me for a second and then nodded her head.

"Right, just tell me the directions as we go."

She pulled out her car keys and unlocked it. She put her container in the backseat and got in. The rest of the car ride was silent except for The Smiths playing in the background. I wanted to say something about them, but she seemed to be thinking when she was driving so I didn't.

Finally she had pulled up to my house and put it in park. Right then I saw my mom looking out the front window.

"You're not late or anything right?" she asked clearly seeing my mother also.

"No, she's just nosy. To be honest she looked you up in my yearbook."

"Oh god, I wonder what she thinks of me." she said squinting trying to get a closer look at her.

"Well, I should go in before she comes out."

"Thanks for the ride," I paused while opening the door and getting out. "We should do it again sometime."

"Yeah, I had fun. Goodnight, Bren."

I closed the door and she watched me open the door. I turned and gave her a small wave and turned to go inside. I could hear her leave and go down the quite street.

"Was that her?" I knew I would get more questions once I walked into the door.

"Yes." I said bluntly trying to walk up stairs. I knew it was pointless to call Adam, because he was most likely busy.

"Why didn't you invite her in?"

"Because, it's not like that mom. We're just friends. That's it."

"But you like her."

"Mom," I turned around and almost glared at her. "That doesn't always mean she's going to like me back." With that I walked up the stairs where I'd go to bed and regret not doing something else with Morgan, because all I could think about was how nice she smelt, and how much I wanted to hold her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments make me update. This is proof.