I'd Rather Shut My Eyes

Vexation

vexation, [vek-sey-shuh n]: noun. Anger produced by some annoying irritation/s.

***

Michaela ignored the chubby face that stared up at her, focusing instead on the heavy boxes she was balancing. Shuffling along, she managed to get to the front step before they were lifted from her grasp.

"Can't have you getting hurt, little lady!" her father joked, lifting the boxes with ease. He was obviously happy to have Michaela living with him; he'd always wanted his two daughters to live together with himself and his second wife.

Michaela stubbornly turned around in silence and struggled with another box full of school books, music and a single dance shoe. She almost crumpled under the weight, before recovering and striding up onto the porch. Peering around the box, she followed the adults carrying her belongings up the stairs, and turned right when she reached the top.

"We'll put Michaela's thing in the end room for now, Larry hasn't been to the storage yet to get the furniture." Lucy's chiming voice carried along the hall. "He can do that tomorrow-"

"Nonsense Luce, it'll be done today. I'll take Michaela along with me and show her around town. We need to sort a few things out with the school before vacation anyway" her father cut in.

Lucy shrugged. "Fine, but you'd better get going soon. Joe, would you like a cup of coffee before you head back? We've got some carrot cake left over from yesterday's lunch."

Joe's friendly laugh was followed by a "No, I'd better get back before the lunch rush. Thank you anyway. I'll just get the rest of Michaela's things and be going." He carefully edged around Michaela and the box, flashing her a brief smile before making his way downstairs and disappearing outside. Michaela put the box down and pushed it into her bedroom.

Sky blue walls greeted her, a stunning colour that matched the slightly faded wooden floor perfectly. Lacy white curtains were moved by the breeze coming from a large-ish open window, a wide oak tree half obscuring the sunlight that entered the room.

Fairy tale room. Too pretty, too young, too boring.

The boxes were pushed against the wall and Lucy and Michaela's father talked about all the wonderful opportunities she would have.

"There are so many nice people in the area, and a few young people your age to talk to…"

"The school's only a 10 minute walk away, and it's brand new, with a wonderful principal…"

"There's a great mall half an hour's bus trip away…"

"We got out for dinner every weekend at this nice little Italian restaurant, and the church group here is simply amazing…"

Church? Wow, a perfect little family.

Joe came jogging back with a navy backpack slung over his shoulder and three smaller boxes under his arms. Sitting them in the doorway, he swung to face Michaela.

"Well Michaela, I guess it's goodbye. We'll be sure to have you come back before school starts, then you can catch up with all your friends and make sure nothing's been forgot-"

Michaela stubbornly looked away, refusing to talk. Her father frowned, Lucy smiled sympathetically, and the little girl tugged on her mother's pants and said "Mommy, why won't she talk?"

"She's a little unhappy about moving, Charlie. Why don't you show her your room and cheer her up?" Lucy asked, untangling the child from her legs.

She skipped up and grabbed Michaela's hand, tugging her all the way down the hall to a brightly lit pink room, covered in soft toys, rugs, costumes, clothes, and a single four-poster bed with matching dresser.

"I have a unicorn!" she exclaimed, smiling with a gap showing from a missing front tooth. "His name is Ham. Want to see him?"

No, I do not want to see your ridiculous unicorn named Ham. Leave me alone!

A unicorn was waved around Michaela's sitting form, with high-pitched "Neigh!" sounds being emitted by Charlie. Michaela squeezed her eyes shut in frustration.

Where's a poker when you need one?