The Scary Thing Shall Get You All

Chapter One

Lori sat patiently in her uncle's office reception area. She was finally about to live her dream. It had always been her life's ambition to be a journalist. And now the journey was beginning. She was so lucky that her favourite uncle was the editor of a huge newspaper, The Metro.

"Mr. Saunders will see you now." Naomi said, trying to be professional.

"Thanks Naomi." Lori replied, letting herself into Jase's office.

"Lorella!" He said. She winced as he spoke her full name. She hated being called Lorella, it sounded so girly, which was something she most certainly was not. That's why she had everyone call her Lori, Jase was the only to refuse. She lived with it though, he was her favourite uncle after all.

Jase got up out of his chair and walked around his desk to give Lori a big hug. When they let go he gestured for her to sit down in the chair in front of his desk.

"You know, I really wish you didn't insist on starting your internship now." Jase began.

"Come on Uncle Jase. I know about what happened, but really, no one is going to come after me." Lori could see the sadness in her uncle's eyes. He had loved Grace, she had known it from the first time she saw them together. And she knew that her uncle deeply regretted never having told Grace how he felt.

Lori allowed him a few moments to recompose himself before starting again. "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"But what if you die too? Then I'll be the cause of two deaths." He said pleadingly.

"What happened to Grace-" Jase winced at the sound of Grace's name, "-really wasn't your fault. There was nothing you could have done." Lori pressed on.

"I was there though. Right before she died. I could've stopped it. If I just hadn't left her to lock up alone." Jase's eyes began to water and he blinked profusely to hold back the tears.

"No. It was not your fault. Now listen to me, I will be fine." Lori said to her uncle stubbornly.

[----------]

After half an hour of Lori trying to convince him, Jase finally gave in. He realised that Lori would never back down and he didn't want to deny his favourite niece what she desperately wanted.

He had assigned her to follow around one of his top journalists, Maxx Spencer. Lori had always had a thing for him. He had untidy brown hair, that fell into his eyes, eyes that were a perfect sea blue. When Lori first met Maxx, she was 16, he was 19. He was an intern following Jase around. Now she was 19 and his intern.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yerr... this isn't finished yet. But I can't be bothered writing more now, so ehhh. x]