Children of the uprising

chapter one- escape

Begw stared out of the window. Her breath steamed up the cold panes, turning the dark world outside into a pastel painting. Rain hammered down on the ground, turning th street lights into strange fireworks on the paving. Below, slowly swinging on its hinges was a sing, that read " The Irisian institute for Galanean Orphans" in Irisian. Begw hugged herself to keep the cold at bay, shivering through the thin fabric of her night dress.

Begw had lived in the institute for five years. Her parents, both Galanen had died in a suspected arson attack when she was ten. Since she had no family to speak of, she had been sent to the institute. Four years later, she was still there. She sighed, In a world of her own, far a way from the rhythmical breathing and snoring of the rest of her dormitory.

Suddenly, she felt a searing pain in her head, as a chunk of her hair was grabbed and yanked backwards. She was pulled out of the window, and sent crashing against a cupboard as she yelped in pain.

"You again, you little brat" screamed a voice above her head. "Well, Missy, this is the last time i'll catch you out of bed again, mark my words" it screeched again, leering down at Begw. The matron was a short woman, but what she lacked in height she made up around her waist. She yelled on for a minute or two, spitting and roaring in Begw's face, yanking mercilessly on her hair. But Begw wasn't listening. she felt the anger in her rise in her, boiling over. She clenched her fist to over come the urge to smack the ugly, seething face into an oblivion. She shook with the effort. For the last four years of her life, this grotesque, screaming face had dominated every aspect of her life. And under her tyranny she had suffered hell. The other girls had suffered too, but Begw seemed to be the matrons pet punch-bag. Begw was every thing the matron had ever wanted to be. Tall, strong, with a slight build, she had silky brunette hair, witch matron took grate pleasure in keeping close-shaven. She was a bright, witty girl, and matron knew that she could aspire to do grate things, if given the chance. And that was something matron was not intending on letting happen.And that, along with the fact that Begw was a Galanean, gave matron enough reason to tormented Begw mercilessly, blaming her for all petty mistakes, punishing her severely for any mis-demeanors, existent, or non-existent. And now the camel's back was to be broken. Begw burst. She hurled her fist into the matron's face, and a loud crunch echoed through the silence.

Begw got to her feet and ran. Around her, the rest of the dormitory was awake, and seeing the matron unconscious on the floor, panic broke out. Begw flung open a cupboard, grabbed her coat, dress, and shoes and fled through the dormitory. Awoken by the rising commotion in the girls dormitory the rest of the institute was stirring. As she sped past, doors swung open and nurses, matrons and teachers stumbled on to the corridor in their night clothes. But, Begw, oblivious to the tempest arising around her kept on going. She didn't stop until she reached the front door. The large oak work with huge glass panels stood, locked and un-penetrable. Begw looked around her desperately, willing there to be an escape route. In the corner stood a large. antique,steel hat stand. She grabbed it, and flung it at the glass panel. luckily, it was not double glazed, as it shattered into a million pieces. she flung herself through the gaping hole, and out on to the street. It was still raining, and as Begw threw herself into she night, matron stirred.