Nothing to Special

3 Years Back

Kay yawned as she walked down the school hallway of her old school. She never thought she'd be going back to this school again after she left it to go to another school 3 years before. It hadn't changed a bit, same quiet halls, same school nurse, same teachers, same school uniforms that even now she still hated.

'I suppose I'll ditch, not like anyone would notice.' She decided before slipping into the boys' bathroom. Most girls her age wouldn't dream of going into the high school boys’ bathroom, but for Kay, it wasn't the first time she'd gone into the beige colored bathroom. She'd found out long ago that it was the best place for a girl to hang out when ditching class. What teacher would expect to find a girl in a boys' bathroom? That's what Kay always told herself and she was right never once had the teachers look for her in the boys' bathroom.

Kay ran her fingers through her wavy brown hair as she looked at herself in the mirror. It was hard to believe she was the same girl as before, but a lot of things had changed over the years. As noticed by her family and friends and even to herself a change had gone through Kay. She'd grown up so much over those three years. She barely even recognized herself anymore; the black make-up, light pink lip stick, the thinner body. None of it looked like her, at least not the “her” the people here knew.

A small almost unheard laugh slipped past her lips as she thought back to her old self. She remembered how chubby she was, her 2 inch long hair. Man how she loved that boy hair cut, though everyone else thought she was insane to get such a hair cut. 'What girl wanted to look like a guy?' they'd question. She always gave a simple answer, "I do, because I wanna be who I wanna be and you can't stop me." She remembered her old personality. She still couldn't get over how she never stuck up for herself or her strong desire to fit in with everyone. Now she asked herself what the point was in 'fitting in' or being popular. Who cared what everyone else thought?

Kay shook her head and headed into a bathroom stall quietly. She dropped her large black book bag to the floor before she pulled off her school uniform shirt to show the white spaghetti strap shirt she wore underneath. She brushed off her mini skirt and smirked, 'I never would have worn a skirt back then, at least not a skirt this short.' She noted to herself with a smile. The skirt reached her mid-thigh which was short compared to how she used to wear it. Three years ago it would have gone past her knees.

She gave a small sigh and pushed the memories of the past to the back of her mind, 'Keep thinking of the past and you'll remember the past.' She reminded herself before stuffing her school shirt into her book bag and walking out of the stall. She walked over to the corner of the bathroom and sat down with her back pack. She opened the book bag and started pulling things out of it; though none of it was school supplies.

About 30 minutes later a classmate walked into the bathroom. He raised an eye brow upon seeing the teenage girl in the boys' bathroom.

"Um...the girls' bathroom is next door." He informed her. Kay looked up at him.

"I'm aware, but hiding in the girls' bathroom wouldn't be very smart since I'm a girl." She stated finally looking up at him. She remembered this brown haired boy form her past years here. His name was Matthew Cameron.

"It's not like I'm not in your way unless of course you're merely shy." She stated with a smirk.

Matthew rolled his eyes and went over to the bathroom. Kay bit back a small laugh and went back to what she was doing. Matthew finished and went over to wash his hands. He looked down at her with curious eyes.

"What're you doing?" he finally asked.

Kay looked up at him once again, "Building," she replied keeping her answer real simple. Matthew frowned at the simple response.

"Building what?" he probed.

"Don't know yet, I'll know when it's finished." Kay stated as she stood up to stretch. Matthew rolled his eyes.

"You're building something but you don't know what it is you're building?" he repeated. Kay simple nodded as a response but figured she might as well explain.

"My gut tells me where to put everything; I'm just going from there." She said lazily. Matthew gave a small nod and let it go to start something else.

"What's your name?" he asked her curiously.

"Hn, I guess I don't leave much of an impression on people. It's only been three years and you already forgot me." Kay said crossing her arms. Matthew looked beyond confused now.

"I've never seen anyone that looked anything like you before." He stated as he dried his hands and looked at her.

"The names Kay Nakame," she replied with smirk. Now if only she had her camera to capture the look on the boy's face. Mathew's once calm yet curious eyes were wide and filled with shock and surprise.

"You're kidding me." He stated not believing it.

Kay laughed, "No, no I am not."

“So what’re you doing back here?” he asked crossing his arms.

“Maybe I came back to see expressions like yours.” she teased with a smile. Matthew gave a fake laugh in response to the joke.

“Very funny,” he commented.

“It was wasn’t it?” Kay replied with a giggle.

“You still haven’t answered my question though, why’d you come back?” he asked again serious about getting an answer.

“Needed a school to go too was the main reason. Also to add to the fact was that I kinda wanted to see how much everyone had changed. The human mind is such a fascinating thing. Coming back after three years…I wonder how much your minds have changed.” She said looking deep into Matthew’s eyes as if trying to read his mind.

“You make it sound like your some kind of human mind specialist or something.” He said giving her an odd look. Kay merely shrugged.

“Maybe, I am quite good at understanding the human mind. It’s not something I can help.”

Matthew nodded and went to say something when the bell rang. Kay gave him a wave telling him to hurry back.
“Later,” he said before leaving the bathroom quickly.