Let's waste time

This Is the Fall

I don’t know how I’m getting through this. I do believe this is the most pain I have ever felt in my short life. I didn’t hurt this much when my best friend told me she was going to die. I didn’t hurt this much when I almost lost my father. But my grandmother was someone entirely different from either of those people.

“My grandmother was the one person who always stood by me, and always believed in me, and always supported me. My grandmother was my rock. She always helped me find my way. She raised me when my parents were too busy working. My grandmother was my parent.

"She was there when I wanted to learn trumpet in the fourth grade because my brother had. She was there in seventh when I wanted to take guitar and become a rock star. She was there in eighth when I wanted to be a writer. She was also there when I found a band that fit with me so well it was like snow on Christmas morning.

"My grandmother was there when I wanted to be an artist. She bought me my first sketch pad. She was there when I painted my first portrait; when I took my first picture.

"My grandmother was there when I wanted to be everything I have ever wanted to be; anything I said she told me to go for it. She wanted me to live my dreams in hopes of a wonderful tomorrow.

"My grandmother loved adventure, and she loved to visit the world. She’d go anywhere and everywhere that had a story. She was the best person I knew, to be honest. I can’t say I won’t miss her, but she will forever be in my heart."

As I finished my speech, I turned toward the casket, whispering a few words that I only intended for her to hear. “Gram, I don’t know what I’m going to do without you.” Placing a daisy, because they were always our favorite flower, in her hand, I retired to my seat, awaiting speeches from those who thought they knew her.

I won’t sleep tonight.