Status: Hiatus

Killing's Just A Game

Nothing Good Lasts Forever

A month after Gerard's alcohol incident and our kiss, we have made it to Seattle without any more trouble in either area. He is making a heroic attempt to become sober, which fills all of us with pride. Life is finally going well.

I've really gotten to know the guys in the month that I've been on tour with them. Bob and Ray have become like older brothers to me. Whenever I need anything at all, they will be sure to take care of it for me. They will even protect me from Gerard and Frank when they try to tickle me. Yes, Bob and Ray are my saviors.

Mikey has become my best friend. He is the one that I can confide in when some sort of drama occurs. He stays up late playing games with me on his laptop, and even bought me ear plugs so I wouldn't hear him snore. (Which solved the Gerard and Frank bed time drama.) I've never in my life had as good a friend as Mikey. It's going to make my job so much easier.

Frank and I have decided to just be friends. Frank even has a new girlfriend now, whom none of us have met. He seems to be truly happy and I'm so grateful for that. I'm not as close to him as I am with Mikey, but we definitely get along famously.

Gerard is a different story. Sure, we get along great. And yes, I love him to pieces. (Unfortunately.) There is just always this awkward tension between us. Nothing has been the same since the night we kissed on the roof. One moment we'll be flirting and laughing, the chemistry between us erupting; and the next, I'll have to stop it. That makes Gerard mad, and he demands and explanation as to why I won't just give in and be with him. I'm running out of excuses.

Other than that minor detail, life has been perfect. The bus still reeks, I've lost most of my clothes, and there's never any hot water or food; but I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. Yes, I'm finally happy with my life.

But sadly, nothing good lasts forever. Jimmy made sure of that.

---

"Mikey, dearest?" I ask. "Can you pass the ketchup?"

"What do you say?" he answers, snatching up the bottle and holding it away from me.

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty please with Frankie on top?"

"No..." he groans.

"I love you?"

He passes me the bottle and smiles brightly like a little kid who has just received a gold star in class. He is so adorable. Oh how I do love my twin brother figure.

We're all sitting around the table for dinner, eating leftover hamburgers (except for Frank, who is eating some sort of gross Tofu burger), when there is a knock on the door. Bob gets up to answer it, while Gerard pokes me in the side. I poke him back and soon a poking war erupts. We're both so caught up in our own little world, we don't even notice that Bob has returned.

"Ahem," Bob grunts, clearing his throat. "Mel, you have a visitor."

Gerard and I cease our war instantly and stare up at Bob in shock. Just then, Jimmy comes up the stairs, suitcase in hand.

"Jimmy?!" I nearly scream. Why is he here? Shit, this can not be good.

"Hey, Baby Sis!" he greets me cheerily, holding out his arms. I get up and hug him, completely faking enthusiasm. I pull away after a few seconds and look him straight in the eye.

"What are you doing here?" I question innocently. My voice is sweet and full of joy, my eyes are shooting daggers at him.

"I was in town on a business trip and thought I'd drop in on my number one girl," he replies, using Paul's nickname for me. That gives me the hint that I need.

"Guys?" I ask, turning to the five of them, "Do you mind if Jimmy and I step outside to talk?"

"Go for it," Ray says. Mikey looks at me skeptically, as does Gerard. I shouldn't have let the two of them get so close to me. They must know something is up.

I give my boys a fake smile and practically push Jimmy out of the door.

"Well?" I demand, crossing my arms and tapping my foot impatiently.

"Paul is worried. He figured that you would have this one completed by now. He's worried that you're going soft on us," Jimmy admits.

"I would never go soft! Do you understand that?" I protest. Jimmy rolls his eyes, seemingly unconvinced. "Look, it's only been like six weeks. What part of "long term job" did you guys not understand? I'm doing research, finding weaknesses, planning. You've got to give me more time."

"Mel, the client is impatient. Time's up," Jimmy states.

"No!" I nearly scream. "Time is not up! Only I can decide that!"

I can tell Jimmy is getting irritated with me, but I don't care. This is my assignment, and it's my decision. I just hope that I can pass off the tears in my eyes as anger or PMS.

"Are you forgetting that you work for an extremely organized firm of assassins?" Jimmy retorts. "You might be high up in the ranks, but you're still not number one, Babe."

"I don't give a damn, Jimmy. Let the client be restless, and Hell, let Paul be pissed at me for taking so long. Seriously, I'm not ready yet. I need more time," I insist, my voice softening to the point of pleading.

"Look, Mel. If it was up to me, I'd give you a year if that's what you needed. But it's not. It's up to Paul, and he says time is up."

"No! Time is not up!" I protest in anger. "Can't you reason with him, Jimmy? Please? For me?" I'm at the point of begging. This is dangerous, far too dangerous.

"I've tried, Mel. I did all I could, but all the time I could get for you is a week," Jimmy says apologetically.

"A week? Are you insane?" I cry. "It will be so sloppy. I could bring the whole firm down. Jimmy, you know I can't do it in a week."

"Oh please, Mel. We both know that you are much better at covering your tracks than that," Jimmy states.

"No, Jimmy. I can't do this. I won't do this on such short notice!" I retort.

I see his eyes grow cold, and Jimmy comes at me swiftly, pushing me up against the tour bus.

"Listen here, Mel, and listen good," he demands. "You have one week. Do you understand?"

"But, can't you just call Paul..." I begin.

Jimmy cuts me off. "No, no buts. No bargaining with Paul or myself, no nothing. You have one week to complete this assignment. That's it."

"You don't understand, I-"

"Look, Melanie," Jimmy growls fiercely. I grow quiet and wait for him to finish. There is no arguing with him when he gets this angry.

"Either you kill Gerard Way in seven days, or I will."
♠ ♠ ♠
One question:

Did I, or do I, have you fooled?

Comments are lovely...