Status: Hiatus

Killing's Just A Game

Number One Girl

I'm in the middle of a deep, booze induced sleep when I hear my cell phone blasting at me, demanding that I wake up. Despite my desire to stay curled up in my warm blankets all morning, I reach over and check the caller ID. It's Paul, I have to pick up.

"Can I help you?" I snap, flopping back down onto my pillows.

"Good morning to you too, Sunshine," Paul chuckles on the other end. "Did you complete the Baum job last night?"

"Have I ever missed a deadline?" I retort whilst mentally rolling my eyes.

"No, you haven't. That's why you're my number one girl, after all," Paul replies cheerily.

I smile, despite my anger at being awakened. Paul always calls me his number one after I complete an assignment. He's the boss, but more properly referred to as the 'firm coordinator'. In essence, people call him when they want to place a hit on someone, and he refers them to an appropriate hit man, or woman, in my case.

"You know I love you Paulie," I yawn, "But do you have a good explanation for waking me up from a much needed rest?"

I hear Paul laugh. "You always have been one to cut to the chase. But to answer your question, yes. I actually do have an extremely good reason for calling so early."

"And that would be?" I prod, wanting nothing more than to wrap this conversation up and get back to my slumber.

"I have a new job for you," he replies shortly.

"Not interested, Paul. Have Jimmy or someone else do it. You know that I insist on at least week in between assignments," I remind him.

"Trust me, Mel," Paul says, "Jimmy couldn't handle this. Besides, you don't want to pass this one up."

I perk up, sitting upright in bed. Paul has my attention now. It's not often that he presses me to take a job, especially so soon after a long term one like the Baum case. This must be worth investigating.

"Okay, you've got my attention," I admit, "Now give me some details."

"I don't know much. All I know is that some guy wants you to take out one of his ex-band members. Apparently there are still some bitter feelings on his part, and he doesn't like how famous the band is becoming," Paul informs me.

"So he wants me to ice a celebrity?" I inquire, not believing my ears.

"Pretty much," Paul answers, "Now look, this is a risky case. I would have put Jimmy on it, as I know you need a break, but he gets too sloppy. Everyone else is either too inexperienced or too quick to kill. I need someone who can be in this for the long haul and not screw it up. I need my number one girl."

I allow myself to grin again as I consider Paul's request. I've never had a celebrity case before, even if the person was new to fame. It's always just been cheating husbands and disloyal employees or friends.

"All right, Paul," I groan, not believing the words coming from my mouth, "When and where am I meeting the client?"

"Cathy's Coffee Cafe at eleven o'clock sharp," he replies. I can hear the pleasure in his voice. He loves getting his way.

"Sounds good. What's the scenario?" I ask.

"You're on a blind date. He'll be wearing a black suit with a bright pink undershirt and will have a yellow rose waiting for you," Paul reports.

"Got it," I say, getting out of bed to get dressed for my date.

"I'll call you when I'm through," I add.

"Okay," Paul responds, "Oh and Mel? It's 10:15."

"I hate you," I growl menacingly, snapping my phone shut. I can't stand it when Paul doesn't leave me enough time to prepare to meet a client. I like to make a good first impression. I am a professional after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Suggestions?
XoXo Kate