Status: Hiatus

Killing's Just A Game

Goldilocks

The door swung open, releasing a nearly tangible wave of stench onto the sidewalk. I take in my last breath of clean air and boldly step into the tour bus. When the guys said it would be filthy, they weren't exaggerating. There are clothes strewn all over the floor and furniture, the walls are a pale yellow from nicotine, and there are random food stains all over the kitchen area. In short, it was the dirtiest vehicle I've ever been in. And I ride the subway religiously.

"Holy Hell, did something die in here?!" I choke. The air is a mixture of coffee, cigarette smoke, rotten food, and sweat.

"You were warned," Mikey states, flopping down on the couch. I roll my eyes and move a pile of clothing so I can sit next to him. The sooner I get rid of the target, the better. There's no way I can survive in such a repugnant habitat.

Brian, the band's manager, comes in after I'm seated and addresses the band and myself.

"All right, we're all loaded up and ready to go," he says, smiling brightly at us.

"Great," Ray replies, "Off to..."

"Chicago," Bob informs him flatly.

"Off to Chicago!" Ray finishes, with a great deal of enthusiasm.

On those words, the bus driver shifts into first gear, and away we go. Frank and Ray join Mikey and I on the couch; it's a tight squeeze. Gerard and Bob go back into the back of the bus, muttering something about Donkey Kong. Brian sits up front in the passenger's chair to keep the bus driver company. I get the feeling that the bus ride is going to be terribly boring.

I'm right.

We're scheduled to reach Chicago around three in the morning. Right now, it's eleven and Gerard and Bob have rejoined us in the "living room" area.

"Mel, the back room is open if you want to go change into something to sleep in," Gerard alerts me.

I nod and change into a pair of boxers and a tank top. Hoping I'm not under-dressed, I walk back into the main area. I fight the urge to blush as I notice Gerard and Frank both have their eyes glued to me.

"Right," Gerard says, shaking himself out of his brief trance. "How are we all sleeping tonight?"

"We could take turns giving Mel a bunk and sleeping on the floor," Ray suggests.

"Whatever, I'm not sleeping on the floor!" Mikey protests.

"No, it's fine, guys," I offer, "I'll crash on the floor."

"No, you won't," Bob states, "You're our guest."

I nearly laugh at the formality in his tone.

"I've got an idea," Frank pipes up, "How about one of us just shares a bunk with Mel?"

He looks at me for approval. I just shrug.

"It makes sense," I admit, "At least then no one has to sleep on the floor."

All the guys nod in agreement, earning a huge grin from Frank. "All right then, Mel you can bunk with me."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Gerard shoot Mikey a meaningful glare. Mikey shakes his head ever so slightly before chiming in, "Who says you get to hog all the estrogen, Iero?"

"Well technically, she is my guest," Frank insists.

"How about this?" Gerard suggests, taking the initiative to decide this once and for all. "Let's allow Mel to go back to the bunks and pick which one she finds most comfortable. And that's where she'll sleep tonight. After all, we don't want her up all night fussing over how soft or firm the bunk isn't."

Frank looks disgruntled, but reluctantly agrees when the other three guys do.

"Have at it," Ray jokes, motioning towards the hallway where the bunks are located.

I step through the curtain between the main area and the hall and look around skeptically. On the left side is the rest room, with two bunks, one on top of the other next to it. On the right side is two bunks on the bottom, and one on top of the furthest one. I immediately rule out the top bunks, I want nothing to do with crawling up there every night.

That decision made, I pull back the curtain to the first bunk on the right side. I slip inside and instantly realize just how close I'm going to be to whoever I'm sharing a bed with. The bunks will just barely have enough room for two people. Dismissing that worry from my mind, I realize that bunk number one is too firm. And besides, I really don't want to be right across from the bathroom door.

I try the other bunk on the right side of the hallway. When I sit on the mattress, I nearly sink through to the floor. This one is far too soft. Feeling alarmingly like Goldilocks, I rise and move to the last bunk.

This one is nice and soft, but not horribly so. I decide that the bottom bunk on the left side of the hall shall be mine, for the first night at least. There are two pillows, so I steal one and fluff it up the way I like. Then, I snuggle under the covers and try to catch some sleep.

I'm awaken from my brief slumber as I feel someone climb into the bunk next to me. For a moment I'm startled, until I remember the circumstance at hand.

"Nice choice," a familiar voice whispers in my ear, as he situates himself under the covers. I roll over so that I am facing my new bunk mate.

"And why is that, Mr. Way?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for subscribing/commenting!
It means a lot to me. :)
XoXo Kate