A Year For You

March; Haley

I sat at the playground, watching the children play.

I watched couples laugh amongst themselves, mothers hold the hands of little kids. Every so often, one would scrape a knee and start crying, begging for their mother to come help them.

"MuuumMMYYYYYY" One wailed pitifully as he fell off the end of the slide.

Another stood and blinked, before skipping merrily on his way.

Kids can be so cruel sometimes.

I raised my eyes to the girl who stood, also watching, her hair fluttering in the wind, and her blue eyes blank. A Starbucks apron was held in her left hand and her right was tucked into her jeans pocket.

I avoided her glance at me, and stared at the children.

A hand was placed on my stomach, slowly and regretfully.

A one night stand was all it took.

I'm pregnant from my first ever one night stand. I look like a whore who does those things often, but no. I'm not, I wasn't about to do something like that. But him... he was a charmer.

His black hair was so soft, and he plied me with drinks until I could barely stand. I said it was against my morals to have sex with a stranger.

He asked my name.

"I'm... I'm Haley...." My words were slurred and the haze which I viewed this guy through made him even more of an angel.

"And I'm Jared. There, we aren't strangers anymore!"

For some reason this childish logic processed easily in my brain and I shrugged.

"Okay then."

"So, my place or yours?" Him eyes gleamed as he asked this and I stared in some form of ridiculousness.

"M-mine...." A hiccup punctuated my sentence and I giggled. Oh how drunk I was.

The cab ride back must have been uncomfortable for the cab driver, having to watch our antics. He managed to stop me from giving Jared a blow job right there and then by asking our destination, which I managed to slur out for him.

The cab pulled up and we fell out, me only just managing to make it through the door before he leapt on me, attaching himself to my neck as he undressed me.

I never questioned anything, even the lack of condom.


What a fool I was.

I was a lonely, heartbroken fool.

Who was pregnant.